Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While out sampling I chucked in a few jabby traps.
Added the meat to a suimin (tom yum flavour) and had an instant meal.
p.s. would be nice with a couple of snow peas added.
1446373535_dscn2052gdvwqudgiwqubediwsejbn.jpg

Damn, got to get a Kamodo -that looks fantastic, HL.

Today I baked a sourdough, and had spiced cutlets with cauliflower rice (cauli processed into rice sized bits and cooked in coconut oil, with beans, peas, almonds, onion, garlic, ginger and spices- kind of like an indian fried rice without the rice), onion pakora (sweet onions and spices in a chick pea batter), cucumber yogurt and mint on the side.

1446975392_dinner1.jpg

1446975392_dinner2.jpg

DrDuck said:
Damn, got to get a Kamodo -that looks fantastic, HL.

Today I baked a sourdough, and had spiced cutlets with cauliflower rice (cauli processed into rice sized bits and cooked in coconut oil, with beans, peas, almonds, onion, garlic, ginger and spices- kind of like an indian fried rice without the rice), onion pakora (sweet onions and spices in a chick pea batter), cucumber yogurt and mint on the side.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/158/1446975392_dinner1.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/158/1446975392_dinner2.jpg

hey DrDuck

second photo is a bread?

joao garimpeiro said:
AtomRat said:
"Sourdough" bread Joao :)

Thank you AtomRat

amazing mate
I would love the recipe of this bread please!

Recipe - sourdough bread..... chiabata.
4 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons salt flakes
3 grams dry yeast
2 cups of warm water
Method......
Mix together, cover with foil and tea towel and let stand for
16 hours. Transfer into oiled tray with a sprinkling of semolina onto tray and flour on top.
Stand 1-2 hours and bake in oven @ 200 degrees Celsius for 40-45 minutes....... Done....... Enjoy ;)

PS NO NEED TO " KNEAD THE DOUGH "

Well, Uncle Bob's recipe is technically not a sourdough, but it is an excellent recipe for no knead bread, a great technique for making a fool proof bread, popularised by Mark Bittman in the New York Times. You get an excellent result if you cook it in a hot dutch oven or pot in the oven. Basic technique is here, but there are tons of pages about the recipe and variations.

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread

A sourdough uses a natural starter which contains wild yeast and lactobacillus, which gives a really tasty, almost vinegary (lacatic acid) flavor. You can make your own starter, but it takes a while to mature and develop. The one I have now is about 6 months old, and after a month I put in some butter milk to get a nice lactobacillus going.

Sourdough is really tasty but takes much longer to rise than normal yeast bread. I started the one I baked today at around 6:00 pm the previous day, so it was essentially a 24 hour exercise, not taking into account the time to develop and grow the starter.

Wikipedia has a pretty good description of the process, but there is a wealth of info around the web.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sourdough

Like a lot of simple things, there is devil in the detail, and small variations in ingredients and technique make a big difference. The loaf above is a sourdough version of pugliese, a traditional Italian bread. Like ciabatta, and indeed the no knead bread, it is a very wet dough. You can take a lifetime to learn how to bake all the different kinds of bread. I reckon that Kamodo BBQ that Hard Luck has would be great for baking bread, because it can get very hot.

Since I am diabetic, I don't eat much bread at all, but the girls enjoy it, and I like baking, and enjoy the bit at the end of the crust!

Hey Dr Duck.
You're right there but I must say that technically speaking the dough has fermented in the 16 - 18hours which gives it that wonderful sour doughy flavour. ;)
You being a diabetic, have you tried apple cider vinegar for it?
It helps by bringing the body to a stable pH level.

UB, you're right, that long slow fermentation of the no knead bread gives a great flavor. The sourdough is similar, but on steroids!

Haven't tried the cider vinegar, but eat a lot of red and white wine vinegar on my salads. I keep my blood sugar under pretty good control by eating low carb and going to the gym and lifting weights (4 days a week). Sugar was 26-28 MMol/l on diagnosis (should be 4), and the Doc shit himself, and wanted to put me on insulin right away.

On retrospect, I had all the symptoms, but being a typical bloke had my head in the sand about it, and would not go to the Dr. If I splashed the boots, it dried up to white glucose crystals, no joke,

Anyway, I've now dropped 35 kg, and am fitter than I have been since I was 18 (57 now), and definitely stronger. Hb1c (a measure of blood sugar over 3 months or so), is 5.5, which is normal, Dr is very happy and I never did have to go on insulin.

Latest posts