More weird finds from the Goldfields

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the kind words, much appreciated.
Got out today around a friends house in Ballarat, found some 1&2cent coins and moderns, but also this thing.. anyone got any ideas? Obviously something to do with Freemasonry. One of the little bottom balls is missing and it looks like it's silver but I can't find any markings on it.

1475385079_img_0575.jpg

1475385102_img_0577.jpg

Just had a google search. Apparently the seven balls represent the seven known...then... planets.

The Tassels were added to the Apron about 1835 and were at first close together in the centre of the Apron as they represented the ornamented ends of the Strings by which the Apron was tied on. The idea of having seven Tassels was the effort of a Regalia manufacturer who thought that seven would be a good symbolic number and everyone accepted it. A great deal of so-called Symbolism has been built up on this without any justification. Unquote.

Hi Wishfull, thanks for the help, after you mentioned an apron I googled Freemason apron and found this pic. I wonder how they stopped it just falling off though? It has a loop at the top, so I see how it goes on, but seems really easy for it to fall off which is probably what happened :rolleyes: pretty chuffed to find it, I offered it to my friend but he said I could keep it for my collection. If it was silver would it defo have hallmarks?

1475387831_apron.jpg

1475387883_img_0584.jpg

We have a lodge here in Alice, contact them and ask what it is exactly ?
Search Freemasons Alice Springs , it seems I cannot post link

That's pretty interesting . Where did you find it? In a park or bush ? Up to some secret suss things those free masons depending what degree they are. I'd be thrilled with such a find

It was in the middle of my mate's lawn, though you do have to walk over that bit to get to your car. He's only had the house a couple of months and I know young students rented it before he bought it but that's all the history of it I know, it's quite an old house. There is a Masonic hall near my own house, think they meet once a month, I'll find out when they're on and jump down and ask... as long as they don't try and take it back :eek:

It's not my mates :) apart from anything else I offered to let him have it and he declined, he was also as surprised and pleased as I was. He did take the 1 and $2 coins though :rolleyes: I wouldn't sell it, great for the collection.

Latest posts