More weird finds from the Goldfields

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I know what that is I realize I'd already found a more ornate one previously, needs cleaned and I wondered what it was at the time. Mystery solved.

1470029302_img_0378.jpg

Took the Fors Relic out for a spin for an hour, lovely day today, suns out.
Buckle site... so 2 buckles, spoon Robert Hyde Trade Token same as I've found before but very good condition with really nice patina, some other bits and bobs, but the main find was an Apothecaries weight, same as pictured below.

1470107082_img_0380.jpg

1470107097_img_0381.jpg

1470107122_apop.png

In Scotland a measure of Whiskey is called a dram... saw the words "TWO" and "Drams" and thought I'd found another Trade Token for two shots of Gods Water, don't know which one I would prefer.
The little braces clasp is black enamelled and dated 187?, really like finding those things now.

Looking through posts on another forum I think I have found a powder cask in the past, I had just put it in my WTF pile for now. I have found about a dozen musket/pistol balls in this area and a square lump of lead I think was for melting down to make more. I find a lot of those really old shotty shells that crumble from corrosion too, so when I found this quote whilst trying to research todays finds...

"Dram" is also used as a measure of the powder charge in a shotgun shell, representing the equivalent of black powder in drams avoirdupois"

Tempting to think of some medicinal purpose for the 2 Dram weight, but I wonder if they were using it to weigh black powder instead. For dealing out medicine or dealing out death, jeez the things we find. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help much appreciated and the token is coming up great but still giving it a tidy

Latest posts