Fossicking in the Sofala NSW area - recommendations sought

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Anyone in this forum familiar with fossicking in the Sofala area?

I will be going there in September for a couple of days with my Daughter and her partner.
Our intention is to fossick both in the Turon River (pan, sluice and yabby pump) and surrounds (detecting).

We already have permission to fossick on Crown Lands marked A to E in the screenshot below.

Can anyone please kindly advise (based on actual experience) the best areas [A-E] to 1) Pan?, 2) Sluice? and 3) Detect?

Not asking anyone to give away their secret / favourite spot, just after a friendly pointer as to the best LOT(s) to use the 3 methods based on your actual experience.

The LOTS we have permission to fossick in are;
[A: Lot 7353 DP 1143073].
[B: Lot 7001 DP 1002454, Lot 5 DP 1231148 and Lot1 DP 1231148].
[C: Lot 7309 DP 1123796 and Lot 8 DP 1231148].
[D: Lot 51 DP 1180615].
[E: Lot 9 DP 1171406 and Lot 14 DP 1184482].

1721355003245.png
Many thanks - Roy the Boy.

You could try any of panning, detecting or sluicing (flow dependent) at all of the lots you've got permission for. A lot of people have had success detecting along the banks or even in the river when low enough. Below I've tried to highlight the best method for each area IMO:

For the below Panning is all year round in the numerous water holes (Sluicing is dependent on water flows at time of visit):
A: Lot 7353 DP 1143073 (should be able to sluice in areas at the moment).
B: Lot 5 DP 1231148 and Lot 1 DP 1231148 (should be able to sluice in areas at the moment).
C: Lot 7309 DP 1123796 (more likely panning only along Little Oaky Creek in waterholes) and Lot 8 DP 1231148 (should be able to sluice in areas at the moment in Turon).
D: Lot 51 DP 1180615 (should be able to sluice in areas at the moment, access is 4wd thru 2x river crossings. Go to left of bridge heading to Hill End & cross river, then under bridge following track through another river crossing. Usually easily passable but check depth etc. first as the Turon can change after floods. It's been awhile since I've been in there).
E: Lot 9 DP 1171406 and Lot 14 DP 1184482 - if keen there are numerous gullies in these areas that may have some small waterholes for panning.

Detecting:
B: Lot 7001 DP 1002454 (haven't detected here but as it's set back off the river it appears best suited to trying some detecting here. From memory there are some old diggings along there but it's been awhile since I've been there.)
C: Lot 7309 DP 1123796 and Lot 8 DP 1231148 - I've detected both areas & Lot 7309 is a huge area with a lot of interesting gullies, old diggings, surfacing & creek access.
D: Lot 51 DP 1180615 - can detect on the hill slopes, banks etc. Plenty of area to cover. See above re: vehicle access.
E: Lot 9 DP 1171406 and Lot 14 DP 1184482 - huge area to cover with diggings at various areas. Lot 9 access off Hill End Rd did require 4wd to get in (don't think it would have changed?). Can access partly from Wattle Flat Rd ok also. Lot 14 has some pretty steep areas so probably recommend 4wd.

Hi All,

I will be going there in September for a couple of days with my Daughter and her partner.
Our intention is to fossick both in the Turon River (pan, sluice and yabby pump) and surrounds (detecting).

We already have permission to fossick on Crown Lands marked A to E in the screenshot below.

Can anyone please kindly advise (based on actual experience) the best areas [A-E] to 1) Pan?, 2) Sluice? and 3) Detect?

Not asking anyone to give away their secret / favourite spot, just after a friendly pointer as to the best LOT(s) to use the 3 methods based on your actual experience.

View attachment 14342
Many Moons ago early 80`s there was a Scandinavian couple Hungarian i think.They were working a tumbler on the bank near the now Local Museum.
They were pulling 8 penny weights per day they told me.
Some time later a flash flood came through and washed their caravan down the river.
One of those rain bombs took place somewhere way up stream.
A lot of bullion gone back to the natural elements such a loss.. Turon Corner.
Many people don`t even realize the dangers of camping on river banks at times that a disaster could even be conceived.
Owen Morris ( now deceased ) detected a 3/4 nugget with an old VLF machine not far from there.
Actually had it in my hand once and was quite inspiring for myself to get off my acre and have a go.
His son has a You tube site `Get Down and Dirty Prospecting` a lot of his presentation is of around the Sofala area.
He seems tobe doing quit well with his new GPX 6000. Panning , rocking and crevicing ect.
He`s probably returning more with his video pay outs than finds or a bit of both.
Good luck on your adventure.
If you don`t give it a go you`ll never know.

Hi All,

View attachment 14342
Hi Roy the boy, just wondering how you went in sofala? Im on the Central Coast as well. im heading out to sofala mid september.

I'm not sure why you needed permission for those areas on your map ,
those area's are where we all go and have for years ,
oh and the C-D area had alot of wild pigs there ,and we could smell them a mile away ,so we avoided that area last trip

Last edited:
oh and the C-D area had alot of wild pigs there ,and we could smell them a mile away ,so we avoided that area last trip
It's Crown Land & by rights you need permission to fossick on any Crown Land in NSW.
For unmanaged Crown Land, as above, you're supposed to get a free "Temporary Fossicking Permit" which runs for 12 months.
Roy the Boy is actually going through the correct process to ensure no unwanted hassles for his trip. It would be good if everyone did this & removed the threat of complaints + accusations of illegal fossicking (like what's happening along the Peel River at Nundle NSW).
https://www.resourcesregulator.nsw.gov.au/news-articles/illegal-mining-on-peel-river

Yeh ! i had a poke around just out of town there on dusk. Near an old crushing stamper machine and a horizontal mine hole something Big was scuffling just near the entrance amoungst the lantana. It put the willies up me to retreat. My thoughts were a pig but i have no sense of smell.

You could try any of panning, detecting or sluicing (flow dependent) at all of the lots you've got permission for. A lot of people have had success detecting along the banks or even in the river when low enough. Below I've tried to highlight the best method for each area IMO:

For the below Panning is all year round in the numerous water holes (Sluicing is dependent on water flows at time of visit):
A: Lot 7353 DP 1143073 (should be able to sluice in areas at the moment).
B: Lot 5 DP 1231148 and Lot 1 DP 1231148 (should be able to sluice in areas at the moment).
C: Lot 7309 DP 1123796 (more likely panning only along Little Oaky Creek in waterholes) and Lot 8 DP 1231148 (should be able to sluice in areas at the moment in Turon).
D: Lot 51 DP 1180615 (should be able to sluice in areas at the moment, access is 4wd thru 2x river crossings. Go to left of bridge heading to Hill End & cross river, then under bridge following track through another river crossing. Usually easily passable but check depth etc. first as the Turon can change after floods. It's been awhile since I've been in there).
E: Lot 9 DP 1171406 and Lot 14 DP 1184482 - if keen there are numerous gullies in these areas that may have some small waterholes for panning.

Detecting:
B: Lot 7001 DP 1002454 (haven't detected here but as it's set back off the river it appears best suited to trying some detecting here. From memory there are some old diggings along there but it's been awhile since I've been there.)
C: Lot 7309 DP 1123796 and Lot 8 DP 1231148 - I've detected both areas & Lot 7309 is a huge area with a lot of interesting gullies, old diggings, surfacing & creek access.
D: Lot 51 DP 1180615 - can detect on the hill slopes, banks etc. Plenty of area to cover. See above re: vehicle access.
E: Lot 9 DP 1171406 and Lot 14 DP 1184482 - huge area to cover with diggings at various areas. Lot 9 access off Hill End Rd did require 4wd to get in (don't think it would have changed?). Can access partly from Wattle Flat Rd ok also. Lot 14 has some pretty steep areas so probably recommend 4wd.
It really seems complicated to say the least.
Can i ask what is the real reasons for All this ?
Is Big brother concerned that someone might strike it rich or is it just another form of revenue raising.
Most likely it is someone in a position of government office trying to justify their employment.
Eureka ............... .

It really seems complicated to say the least.
Can i ask what is the real reasons for All this ?
Is Big brother concerned that someone might strike it rich or is it just another form of revenue raising.
Most likely it is someone in a position of government office trying to justify their employment.
Eureka ............... .
What seems complicated?
RTB asked for advice on areas he sought out to fossick on & advice was given. Pretty simple really.
There is no revenue raising going on (NSW Crown Lands permits are free) & I'm 100% sure the employees at crown lands offices aren't behind some conspiracy to justify their jobs & would rather not be having to do it either.

Let me rephrase the questions then.
1. Who is regulating these Lot Boundaries and Time Frames of what you can and cannot do ? signed off by Who ?
2.Why are the Lot boundaries being enforced ?
3.Who is going to enforce any breeches imposed ?
4. What are the penalties and where do the penalty fees go ?
5. Is it really the responsibility for the general public to know where the boundaries are ?
From my memory it is the responsibility of the owner/s, Gov, Land Dept, State Forest Dep to present identification notice along fence lines when referring to boundaries or trespassing if that is the term here ?
6. Are the Lot boundary lines referred to well presented and identified in a physical form or with some form of GPS boundary identification ?
7. Is Crown Land owned by The Crown these days and Who really owns The Public Land ......... .
& without being facetious The Post on NSW Minefield Rules says Simplified (hopefully)
I know i do not stand alone when referring to the dissapointment of Government Bodies that are Outrageously placing regulations and restrictions on every aspects of our lives.
Controlling Authorities are at present Out of Control. IMV.
I`ll review the below link again & see if some of my questions are answered there.
I do appreciate your extended inputs , advise and writes on P/A Mbasko outstandingly remarkable to say the least.
Personally i do not like change or adjustments in any system that seems to be working OK without good reason.
Most folk don`t like change.
Talking about slowing up the National Ecconomy and what the People can & cannot do in it.
What next Ball & Chain.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/nsw-a-minefield-of-rules-simplified-hopefully.40536/

Last edited:
FWIW I've just gone through this process in the Snowy Valleys. Crown Lands were very efficient. They didnt manage most of the land I was interested in so they provided contact info for the land managers, which happens to be LLS and the council. Havent heard back from LLS but council got back to me and was appreciative I'd sought permission. They granted access subject to the land not being under a native title claim, so I've then had to find that out and I'm still waiting to hear from the relevant indig organisation. One title was licenced to a local grazier and they have contact him on my behalf. Bit of a convoluted process but if I had a lease or licence over crown land it would piss me off if every punter just helped themselves.

🎱🎱🎱🎱
FWIW I've just gone through this process in the Snowy Valleys. Crown Lands were very efficient. They didnt manage most of the land I was interested in so they provided contact info for the land managers, which happens to be LLS and the council. Havent heard back from LLS but council got back to me and was appreciative I'd sought permission. They granted access subject to the land not being under a native title claim, so I've then had to find that out and I'm still waiting to hear from the relevant indig organisation. One title was licenced to a local grazier and they have contact him on my behalf. Bit of a convoluted process but if I had a lease or licence over crown land it would piss me off if every punter just helped themselves.

I guess what i`m really trying to say from what a princess once said to me.
Complication is the work of the devil.
Keep it simple is a better way tobe.

Most NSW Crown Lands offices do seem to be improving their handling of the process.
Sorry to say but in my experience you won't have much joy with LLS. In the North West Division they've even gone as far as to say fossicking is illegal on TSR's.
Native Title is another growing issue but so far I've only been denied on one lot due to this.

Bush the reality is very little has changed. On all Crown Land under tenure (lease), under management or reserved for a special purpose (conservation etc.) permission to fossick has always been required.
Unmanaged Crown Land in NSW was available for fossicking but due to a lot of issues with illegal access + activities (not just from fossicking but other access/activity too) NSW Crown Lands, I believe with pressure from the NSW Resource Regulator, decided to implement the 12 month Temporary Fossicking Permits for Unmanaged Crown Lands, essentially now requiring formal permission whereby it used to be an open permission.

1. Who is regulating these Lot Boundaries and Time Frames of what you can and cannot do ? signed off by Who ?
NSW Crown Lands & the NSW Resource Regulator are the main departments with NSW Crown Lands obviously managing crown land + access & NSW Resource Regulator the overall rules on Fossicking/Prospecting.

2.Why are the Lot boundaries being enforced ?
?? Lot boundaries have always been enforced due to surrounding private land, land under tenure, land under management etc. etc.

3.Who is going to enforce any breeches imposed ?
Enforcement can be through Rangers (State Forest, Council, LLS etc.), Police, NSW Crown Lands, NSW State Water, NSW EPA, NSW Resource Regulator Inspectors etc.

4. What are the penalties and where do the penalty fees go ?
Penalties can vary depending on offence but seem to start around $2500. Money would go to Revenue NSW.

5. Is it really the responsibility for the general public to know where the boundaries are ?
From my memory it is the responsibility of the owner/s, Gov, Land Dept, State Forest Dep to present identification notice along fence lines when referring to boundaries or trespassing if that is the term here ?
That's completely incorrect & has never changed! No department has ever been responsible for signposting every single fence line of public land. It would be a mammoth task to do & maintain, not to mention cost to us taxpayers.
Under the legislation it has always been the fossickers responsibility to not only know the rules but to know where they are fossicking & have permission for that area.

6. Are the Lot boundary lines referred to well presented and identified in a physical form or with some form of GPS boundary identification ?
If you can use a map or any of a multitude of GPS mapping software available YOU should know where you are. It's really not that hard Bush!

7. Is Crown Land owned by The Crown these days and Who really owns The Public Land ......... .
& without being facetious The Post on NSW Minefield Rules says Simplified (hopefully).
The Crown still owns all Crown Land in Australia. It is managed by various state bodies such as NSW Crown Lands.
There is change occurring whereby Crown Lands are being handed over under Native Title to various Aboriginal Land Councils (ALC) & in some cases leased back to the Government.
A lot of Crown Land is being closed to many activities at the moment due to various Environmental Issues & being earmarked for the 30% by 2030 agreement (subject for a different discussion altogether & can be Googled).
The thread I provided is about as simple as I can explain it here. If anyone can do better, go ahead.

Unfortunately if we want to maintain access for fossicking I'd suggest not being caught illegally fossicking as they will use any excuse to exclude us.

Hope that helps. If you're after more info I'd suggest contacting NSW Crown Lands & the NSW Resource Regulator for further clarification.

Edit:
As a footnote I won't be commenting here re: the rules any further. The original topic is now way off topic (which was types of fossicking possible on the specified areas).

Last edited:
@Roy The Boy and @mbasko any chance you could take me through the steps of getting permission to fossick on crown land or get one of these temporary fossicking permits? I had a look at both NSW Crown Lands and NSW Resources Regulator websites and while I admit to my skills at navigating govt websites being poor, these sites and their search functions seem pretty uninformative... just want to do the right thing :) TIA and cheers

@Roy The Boy and @mbasko any chance you could take me through the steps of getting permission to fossick on crown land or get one of these temporary fossicking permits? I had a look at both NSW Crown Lands and NSW Resources Regulator websites and while I admit to my skills at navigating govt websites being poor, these sites and their search functions seem pretty uninformative... just want to do the right thing :) TIA and cheers
If you haven't already, have a look at this detailed breakdown from @mbasko:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/nsw-a-minefield-of-rules-simplified-hopefully.40536/

Latest posts