Fossicking in the Sofala NSW area - recommendations sought

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Roy The Boy and @mbasko any chance you could take me through the steps of getting permission to fossick on crown land or get one of these temporary fossicking permits? I had a look at both NSW Crown Lands and NSW Resources Regulator websites and while I admit to my skills at navigating govt websites being poor, these sites and their search functions seem pretty uninformative... just want to do the right thing :) TIA and cheers
You won't find it on their websites. There's nothing there which is frustrating.

1st step is you need to identify the Crown Land lot & DP numbers in your area of interest (Minview, SIX Maps).
2nd step you need to contact the NSW Crown Lands office closest to your area of interest directly in person, by phone or email. For Sofala it's the Orange office.
3rd step they will let you know which areas are available for a Temporary Fossicking Permit through them or Land Manager's to contact about fossicking.
4th they will send you a Temporary Fossicking Permit with your allowable areas to sign, have witnessed & returned to them (can scan & email). They will then send through the final Permit signed by their authorised officer on behalf of the Minister & you are good to go for 12 months.
The following years are easier as you just request a renewal & re-sign, witness etc.

Latest posts