⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a leech on Friday at gg no beer first doctors orders I ripped it of and sent it flying blood all over my sieve have to say it slowed me down looking for the little buggers on my fingers every thing that brushed against my hand had me looking for them will have to wear gloves until I can drink beer again on a good note I found a nice dogs tooth nice blue one very happy made up for the blood sucker ;) :)

First post, so hope it's going to the right place. I found this at Colmslie Beach in Qld. It has been sitting for quite some time as it is covered in hard sediment. 2 gems are showing, looks like 2 are missing and others hidden. It is the size of my thumb. Any idea on what gem may be in this and what it is. Looks like a broach.
1418678601_image.jpg

Quick dip in salt and vinegar may loosen the sand grains CHH.(not too long though if it looks like it might be copper).

Gemzilla said:
Finally took a photo of some from last triphttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4173/1419851715_snew_066gg.jpg

Nice haul mate, no wonder you're itching to get back up there. :)

cheers Sodabowski, the green ones come up great in the photos. Heatho that is only about 1/4 of what I brought home, I will post some more pics, I am so itching for that trip, 10th Jan mate, don't miss out lol

Gemzilla said:
cheers Sodabowski, the green ones come up great in the photos. Heatho that is only about 1/4 of what I brought home, I will post some more pics, I am so itching for that trip, 10th Jan mate, don't miss out lol

I'm very tempted mate, will try to make it, really need a Sapphire fix.

Heatho said:
Gemzilla said:

I'm very tempted mate, will try to make it, really need a Sapphire fix.

So do I now :)

I'm stil up here in the far north but Lava Plains is a tad far for a day trip, only be with it if I was camping in the area. Will have to wait until Easter to get my sapphire fix.

And all I've got to show are crappy, ebay bought saphs from Gawd-knows-where (not advertised). How to spend 4 bucks...

1419985287_img_1400.jpg

Still, I managed to sort out 25 carats of clean ones (right side) from that 100 carat lot. Oh what we could do out of despair! :|

HeadsUp said:
Varts said:

Varts I would love to sit and watch how you work for these , I know stuff all about gems and I would hate to think how many I have walked over or left discarded in my tailings

Let me know if I can dig for you one day and watch how its done

Before I got into gems I never checked my gold concentrates from the highbanker, I'm wondering how many pink sapphires I left at the Nundle dig, and at the Oallen meet Liz was kind enough to point out the 2 likely diamonds we had in the pan. Though they were small I always wondered what those little crystals were in the black sands......now I know ive been throwing diamonds out for quite some time.

If you have some quiet time and half an hour to kill, I can recommend this fascinating film.

Thought I would share a youtube vid I found, a 30 minute life story about a gem miner called Bill Magee. If you are into gem prospecting and cutting here is a bloke that has done it all.

The film portrays one of the last legends of America's southwest - the quest to reveal the rare precious stones hidden in the majestic coastline mountains of San Diego County became Bill Magee's great passion.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yr54sPC3oI[/video]

Off to a good start there Matt :cool: you have some great blues in your area.

All you need to do now is find the big ones.

Latest posts