Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just took this Shepherds Pie out of the oven to check progress - I think it is going well...!

It's made the way my mum made it - diced left over leg of roast lamb, couple of handfuls of diced onion, couple of smashed garlic cloves, couple of diced tomatoes salt and pepper to taste and all tossed in plain flour, couple of cups of canned tomato juice poured over the makings (sic) (flour and liquid = gravy) finally cooked mashed potato on top then baked in medium oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours - YUM..

A late meal tonight so another photo when i cut and serve it...........

casper

1426152535_img_2963.jpg

My son bought me a birthday gift today and i thought :/ but went with it and today I cooked Beer Can Chicken for the first time, and wow! there's no better way to roast a chicken. Now I've cooked a few chooks but this was different - 2 hours in the BBQ and no shrinkage!!

Forget the beer part, it's the method that sets it apart ie steam infusion I'd call it!

1426420729_screen_shot_2015-03-15_at_10.26.04_pm.png

I like the steamer rack in a covered tray in the oven,... frozen chook over water on 100 for 1 hour, turn up to 180 for 1 1/2 hours, take lid off and continue cooking to brown for 1/2 hour, remove from oven, replace lid to rest for a bit, carve and serve hot.(don't even have to turn it once) nice and tender.

silver said:
I like the steamer rack in a covered tray in the oven,... frozen chook over water on 100 for 1 hour, turn up to 180 for 1 1/2 hours, take lid off and continue cooking to brown for 1/2 hour, remove from oven, replace lid to rest for a bit, carve and serve hot.(don't even have to turn it once) nice and tender.

I did it that way pre Weber (pre 1985) but never tried it from frozen - hmmm! thanks Silver, another challenge coming up ;)

casper

I would be worried about the paint putting out toxic fumes and the flesh absorbing it. I could be wrong though.
Try shoving a cut lemon up the chook and roast it with some rosmary on it, I will give your recipe a go and see how it goes.
The old coal weber is BBQ that has its place, damn good tasting cooking using one of those.
Now I am hungry looking at all of that tucker, might put something together now.
Cheers
Brad....

Latest posts