Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tracks to the hills were too wet yesterday to try out my new arrow heads so we raided my brother's freezer for some venison backstrap instead.

Venison jerky is really nice but I find bone-twisted metal jackets and a bit of lead not so palatable, lucky I have the SDC with me to do a bit of quality control in the morning before we hit the road.

1428318150_image.jpg

Well since I haven't found any gold as of yet I thought I'd post up some pics of my most favourite pastime. BBqing.

Tonights dinner was a rack of lamb on the baby q. Came out a treat.

IMG_0258%2B%28Medium%29.JPG

Lit the kamado about 1 today to stabilise it for an overnight cook. Pulled pork coming up tomorrow.

the piece on the left is pork butt with a Fiddes Payne rub and the piece on the right is a deboned pork shoulder with plain salt and pepper. Both pieces are just over 2kg each.

IMG_0253%2B%28Medium%29.JPG

IMG_0254%2B%28Medium%29.JPG

Hope you are all starving now. :D :D

Awesome stuff Hard luck....kamado is a great smoker.

Good use of a water filled drip tray i see under the meat sitting on top of the ceramic pizza plate.

I have the acorn smoker which is similar. Have an external temp guage for the cooker temps, and use a digital meat probe to check internal meat temp to indicate when done.

Its all about meat temp hey mate!

Metamorphic said:
Awesome stuff Hard luck....kamado is a great smoker.

Good use of a water filled drip tray i see under the meat sitting on top of the ceramic pizza plate.

I have the acorn smoker which is similar. Have an external temp guage for the cooker temps, and use a digital meat probe to check internal meat temp to indicate when done.

Its all about meat temp hey mate!

Too right!
Akorns are great cookers as well. I know a few people that use them.

Finally stabilised the pit temp. Sometimes the charcoal doesn't settle right and it takes a while to stabilise.
Been sitting on 228F for a couple of hours now so I know I'll get a good nights sleep.

Meat temp is at 158F. By the time it hits the stall and goes over and hits 195-200f I'll be awake. I'll foil this lot at about 7am I reckon. Leave another hour, wrap in towels and into the esky till lunch-time.

Sometimes I wonder why the Americans called it pulled pork as it is closer to marshmallow pork by the time it is ready. yum yum yum

Yes mate, i often find my meat can sit at the 'stall' for hours and then Bam, she rises quickly.

Im still trying different charcoal amounts for even stabilization.

how do you do you find what works best?

Any tips much appreciated.

Metamorphic said:
Yes mate, i often find my meat can sit at the 'stall' for hours and then Bam, she rises quickly.

Im still trying different charcoal amounts for even stabilization.

how do you do you find what works best?

Any tips much appreciated.

Best way is to fill your firebox all the way up with charcoal. Makes sure there is plenty of it. That way you know your fire will not go out. Then use the vents to control temp. You can always reuse leftover charcoal.
Another thing to watch out for is the size of the charcoal. You need a good balance of large pieces down the bottom and fill the gaps in with medium sized pieces all the way to the top. Then you can add some smaller pieces. Start a small fire in the center at the top and let it burn down.

I've had a couple of occasions where the fire just burned straight down and did not ignite connecting pieces and went out. That is always fun at 4 in the morning :(

This would be the minimum I would use, Nice and full.

IMG_0145%2B%28Small%29.JPG

And here is the same amount of charcoal after it had been run for about 20 hours at a low of 208 and a high of about 258F.
Mostly sat at about 230F.
As you can see it did not even use half the fuel in there. But what you can also see is the line the burn took to one side. Hence the importance of plenty of fuel.

IMG_0180%2B%28Medium%29.JPG

As for those 2 pieces they are well and truly done and sitting wrapped in the esky now. Fire did get away a bit (268f at 5.30 am) and they probably cooked a bit more that I wanted the to but pork is very forgiving with these fatty cuts.

Here is a pic of some pork scotch that shows the fat. I made these into ham/bacon so the processing method of these does not melt down the fat as in a low and slow.

IMG_1157%2B%28Medium%29.JPG

It's an easy one Blue. Usually made with Jalepenos but any fat chilli will do. I've grown some super hots this year and enjoyed poppers I've made from them. Probably pics in this topic.

Clean the seeds out of the chilli and stuff with cream cheese. They can be cut in half to get more stuffing to chilli ratio. Wrap in pancetta and into the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or so.
Use your imagination for flavouring the cream cheese. These had grated parmesan mixed in. Any cheese you like will do. Some herbs or spices if you want. Can use bacon in place of pancetta.

Looowwwwww and Sloooowwwwww mate !!!! May even fire up the american pit for them.
BTW do you have a USA foods shop up there, we have one in SE burbs here ........... in love.

Blue

Latest posts