Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Australia Day i did a 9 hour low and slow on a leg of lamb, it feel apart :cool:

10407940_10204074714415839_6304322844477271690_n.jpg

That is awesome and well done on the location but,
I hope you had the swag pegged down and the ventilation flaps open. :D
What's that in the sky??
Nah, Just isolation floating past in Ga Ga land. :lol:

No John that one was done in the trusty Weber kettle. Picked up another for $10 a few weeks ago. That makes 3 webers, 2 smokers, (plus one under construction), the big fire pit, 3 camp ovens and a 4 burner gas BBQ which gets used the least. :D

Mrs Ramjet says I have enough BBQ type cookers now. Funny coming from her as she collects cooking gear. Reckon we could outfit 4-5 'normal' kitchens. :8 We do love our cooking.

Ramjet said:
No John that one was done in the trusty Weber kettle. Picked up another for $10 a few weeks ago. That makes 3 webers, 2 smokers, (plus one under construction), the big fire pit, 3 camp ovens and a 4 burner gas BBQ which gets used the least. :D

Mrs Ramjet says I have enough BBQ type cookers now. Funny coming from her as she collects cooking gear. Reckon we could outfit 4-5 'normal' kitchens. :8 We do love our cooking.

hey Ramjet awesome crackling..... how do ya get it right in the webber kettle? I either get it soggy or burnt :rolleyes:

Thanks stoneage. We cook pork in all types of oven from the kitchen oven, camp oven, weber, turbo oven etc. I see lots of ideas on how to get perfect crackling. Our method is simple. Moisture is the enemy of crackling. Pat the skin dry, add a little oil then rub in salt. The oil is only to help the salt stick to the pork skin.

Place into your oven of choice on high temp, 190 - 200 degrees C. That's it. Make sure you add the salt just before it goes in the oven. Leave it too long and it will fail. Some say you cannot get crackling on a spit. Bull dust! We have done whole hogs and to get crackling at the end of the cook we stop it rotating. The area directly over the heat source will crackle up. Turn a little to do the next spot etc until it's all done. If you have a failure you can sometimes rescue it. Take the skin off and put it under the grill or ant high heat source. You can do it with a little gas torch like they use in kitchens.

Just had a look back through this topic looking for a pic of the las hog we cooked. Can't believe I haven't posted it here. Damn there are some talented cooks and awesome looking food posted here. Mostly mine of course. Bahaha ;) ;) ;) :D

1424218726_pig4_copy.jpg

Latest posts