Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goldtruck59 said:
whats en papillon mean Ramjet? Ive heard of en croute and en papilot
Looks bloody good though whatever it means. Yum :p

En papillon is "In paper" put your fish with your flavours, ( chille, onion, tomato etc) in a parcel of baking paper. Fold to seal it and place in the oven.
Great for fish as it creates a mini oven and steams all the flavours into the fish.

Looks yummy mate.

I hope you're going to make those yummy dumplings at camp again, if you are, what ingredients would you like me to buy :D

Awwww, thanks for that great news mate. I'm dribbling here already just thinking about it. If you require anything, please let me know and thanks to Marg as well :D Should be another fantastic trip.

Squid tubes stuffed with Prawns, chorizo and pine nuts.

1407396662_20140524_192601_copy.jpg

G'Day Ramjet,
Mate your dish looks like edible art, I recon it would taste as good as it looks, Do you catch your own squid or buy them from a seafood outlet?
I quite like tossing squid jigs in the Newcastle Lake Macquarie area , but have been too busy out detecting and doing other chores about the place to get out on the water to see if there are any ink-jets about.
Cheers, SinHof.

Thanks guys. I do like to cook. Forgot to add... Lime cous cous. No I didn't catch them myself. Though I do love to fish. Not much better than fresh caught seafood.
For starters we had some cooked chorizo, oysters kilpatrick, cheese n bickies.

1407405503_20140524_175932_copy.jpg

I'm lucky to have a friend with a truffle farm. Here is 300g of truffles I got recently. Having too much truffle is a rare problem for a cook. I gave some away and made some things to preserve the flavor and aroma for later use.

There is a is a pic of the truffle on a plate, a nice pile of shaved truffle and a little garlic for truffle butter, and truffled triple brie in preparation. Bits and pieces went into truffle vodka. These are all good ways to preserve the truffle for later use.

These things really are black gold, and the plate would be something like $400 to $600 worth, if I had to pay for them.

1407408307_chopped_tuffles.jpg

1407408307_truffle_triple_brie.jpg

1407408307_truffles_on_a_plate.jpg

goldtruck59 said:
never had truffle is it like a sexy mushroom? How would you describe the taste?

Dirty, Garlic, Sharp, Strange - I eat most things but truffle was not what I call a delicacy in my books. Acquired taste, you will know it is in there that is for sure.

The most apparent thing is the aroma, which is earthy, and pungent. Some say it smells like sex, pheromone like and complex. It seems to me to compliment a wide range of flavors, but particularly fat, eggs, cream etc.

Hard to describe, and nothing much at all like truffle oil, 99.9% of which is artificially flavored.

LIke oysters, it is an acquired taste, and I have come to enjoy it very much. I love the perfume that fills the fridge when there are truffles in it. It is so pungent that the truffle butter I have sealed up and put in the freezer is clearly apparent every time I open the door.

DrDuck said:
I'm lucky to have a friend with a truffle farm. Here is 300g of truffles I got recently. Having too much truffle is a rare problem for a cook. I gave some away and made some things to preserve the flavor and aroma for later use.

There is a is a pic of the truffle on a plate, a nice pile of shaved truffle and a little garlic for truffle butter, and truffled triple brie in preparation. Bits and pieces went into truffle vodka. These are all good ways to preserve the truffle for later use.

These things really are black gold, and the plate would be something like $400 to $600 worth, if I had to pay for them.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/158/1407408307_chopped_tuffles.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/158/1407408307_truffle_triple_brie.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/158/1407408307_truffles_on_a_plate.jpg

$400 to $600 for a few hundred grams.....Quick everyone break out the Truffle Detectors....theres a Truffle Rush on!!! :p

wow makes you want to and then not want to try it. Bit like the boss !!
As a would be chef 40 years ago we used to learn from Auguste Escoffier's books and teachings. He was mad about truffles.
We used to substitute mushrooms but it seems we were way off target. Always wanted to have a crack at a white truffle, don't know why. :)

Latest posts