My XP Deus 2016 Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
God forbid should you want to do an activity in a public park, maybe they are just for looks, all you can do is comply I guess even if they are technically incorrect.

At least you made a killing on the silvers to make up for the "move on" notice, looks like you all had a very productive day out. Lucky the older florin was pretty worn, might have shed a tear if it was in pristine condition. ;)

Some great finds
Congrats on the gun
Shame about the florin ... Your right... It coudnt have happened to one of the others :rolleyes:
Oh well , still looks like you had a good day ;)

Hi Gang,
I think the time may be fast approaching where we need to talk to councils and get a meeting organised to demonstrate how "little impact" we may cause to their parks/grounds and point out the benefits that we as metal detectorists can help councils to keep parks/grounds free of potentially dangerous metallic items.
What do you folk think?
Cheers, Sinhof.

Its the public's perception that we are doing something naughty, and therefore they feel the need to report us. Mind you, these are a minority of the public....but their complaints are heard, and acted upon. I seriously doubt wether talking to council is
of any benefit, they almost certainly wont sanction an activity that involves digging holes, in a public place. Insurance, liability, and complaints are going to make their decision easy. Just keep doing the right thing, and hope for the best. The older finds are fast becoming thin in public spaces, permissions are the future....well the now really.

Hi Rocket,
We see it time and time again, it's the minority that seem to have the say/clout on on matters effecting our hobby et al, non more so than with gold prospecting, we have found that education on what we do can go a long way to smoothing the waters so to speak, whether it has any relevance here, who knows. I guess time may tell. One thing is for sure though, if the vocal minority are allowed to rule, sooner or later we can kiss good by to a substantial amount of pubic land and that certainly won't sit well with a lot of our fellow detectorists, particularly if they don't have access to private real estate.
Just my thoughts.
SinHof.

I have to say, i dont think approaching council is a good idea at all.
generally we dont have any problems as is. If we each continue to to the right thing ,with good conscience ,thats the best thing we can do. There will always be that one in a crowd, with nothing better to do than winge ,without any clue of what their talking about.
By the same token,there will always be that rogue detectorist , who will make liars out of anything we say to council.
Thats when the signs will go up ... That day.

Hi Sandta,
"Let sleeping dogs lie" is probably the way to go for the time being, should the push get to shove, then it would be time to stand up for our hobby along the lines of my comments above. The gold prospecting fraternity find themselves in a situation where access to public lands is diminishing almost on a weekly basis and only through well thought out approaches to various Gov departments will we have some chance of clawing back some of the lost ground and making it available once again for prospecting in its many forms.
Cheers, SinHof.

Hunt with RJ today, my first bit of .999 Pure Silver, the Scorpio pendant. We both made good use of the 4khz bottle cap trick. Check your signal in 4khz, if the TID jumps higher, its a cap. It was very handy, as most of the targets were shallow, and sounded pretty good.

1475310701_20161001_171154_resized.jpg
1475310740_20161001_171114_resized.jpg

Goldpick said:
Looks like 4kHz works a treat on the caps, very productive outing. I am still a bit like Rod, still can't help myself to investigate the odd bottle cap target. ;)

GP this tactic works really well. We compared signals and dug some bottle top type signals to test the idea and it was spot on. Not much help with the aluminium ones but it will significantly cut down the BTs I dig.

Ahhh, I thought you meant the aluminium ones were easy to reject....... They are such a pain. One site I need to revisit has them everywhere, probably 5 aluminium screw tops per swing. :( Though I have found good stuff there, need to thin the caps out more.

Will have to save the 4k setting to the deus next time I'm looking for goldies, looks like a much quicker and less compromised method than using the silencer/grunt on edge of the coil.

Got an hour before work called me in this morning. Its a good patch that I have had to myself.....but today I gave the location away by mistake, on facebook. Instead of messaging to RJ, I messaged to a facebook group.....8 hungry Newy detectorists saw my post grrrrrr :|
1475561188_20161004_165837_resized.jpg

Just the other day a newby wrote about a spot openly on the site and I edited it out, PM'd him. He noticed a change to his post and changed it back. I re-edited and PM'd him again got a reply this time and took note that it isn't a smart thing to tell of your honey holes.
Jaros :p

Jaros said:
Just the other day a newby wrote about a spot openly on the site and I edited it out, PM'd him. He noticed a change to his post and changed it back. I re-edited and PM'd him again got a reply this time and took note that it isn't a smart thing to tell of your honey holes.
Jaros :p

That's all very well but when someone is detecting in a Mankini word soon gets about, Detectorists, Sight seers and Tourists and the Lot will turn up, Even the press might turn up, :eek: :eek: :eek:

Can't put all the Blame on Rocket, :lol: :lol: :lol:

John.

Latest posts