fisher f75 ltd adventures

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I trainded on the M1A1/2 105mm howitzers in the 70's they sore service in WWII Korea and Vietnam , they were fazed out and replaced in the early 80's
But I remember as a no 4 on the gun being responsible for removing those clips from HE rounds and setting the fuses.
The fuses had three setting, you could set them for air burst above the ground for troops in the field or out the the open.
Detination on impact or for deley detonation to give maximium penetration for say troopps dug in with overhead protection.

Fascinating. Without you looking at this thread I'd have never known. Would you be able to ID a tip of this missile as some time ago I found what looks like the actual tip of a fired missile that has exploded. Has the flat tip/point just like in the photo you posted

But rusty since I last had a look but here it is. Could this be the tip?
1439254330_imag0124-600x1070.jpg

It doesnt look like the fuse section of an artillery round.
What you have looks like it is made from iron, fuses are made from an alloy like brass or something similar( but different rounds have different nose sections some with fuses some with an aloy section that on impact will flaten and set off the charge inside the shell casing. A fused round is made of brass or other alloy and is set to time the explosion prior to hitting the ground so thearetically the fuse section could survive the explosion but highly unlikely to remain in one piece.
1439262094_image.jpg

Not sure what you have there, it could be the tip of an older type projectile, but I doubt that is it because of the shape of your object does not fit with how the tip of a projectile should be shaped at bottom if it is just the tip i.e it is pionted at the top but following its shape to the other end its seems to continue in a curving fashion.
Here is. 105mm HE shell set for detonation on impact or with deley after impact , note it has slightly different fuse as shown above.
1439263151_image.jpg

Crazy design for such an old projectile . Your knowledge is quite thourough nucopia. Glad to someone like yourself is floating around in these forum's.
Thought this was interesting. Last weekend I was out Bush hunting again and came across a nice high signal. And probably 15 cm under was this. Stuck in a big clump of cement. I thought I'd found treasure instead was this old surveying marker. Penalty 100pounds if moved. Glad I didn't move it lol. I reburied it. Not sure why it was where it was very hard to get to place and looks very old. I wonder how old??
1439525914_cam02625-480x640.jpg

I agree T man. Great info from Nucopia. The knowledge of forum members is amazing.

That surveyors marker is a very cool find even if you couldn't take it home. 100 pounds is a big penalty.

I wish I had "acquired" some of the older railway relics that used to be around. Electrical cabinets had signs warning of 10 pounds fine for interfering and we still used old crank field phones on signals until into the early 2000s. One was even the old style where the mouth piece was fixed to the phone box and you just held the ear piece up to your ear. All gone to scrap now unfortunately.

You would have to collect a few Florins to pay that debt off. :D :lol:

Modern ones usually have a number stamped on it, this one seems to predate the PSM register.

Very interesting ramjet. Part of me wanted to take it home but almost impossible due to its weight and size. I'm just wondering why I can't keep it. It's in the middle of the Bush. Buried for who knows how long. Or do we just leave it to disappear to history. Such a shame. And yes 100pounds would have been a big deal. Looks like a cool relic though

nucopia. it wasnt found at the army camp side. more closer to home. army campsite is a 40 mins drive away.
so i think this is a bit earlier than ww2.. or isnt it?
qld /:)

Interesting find, might pay to research it a bit to find out whether it is still registered as an official survey marker, though definitely wouldn't try to shift it, as big fines can apply if interfered with. Such markers are deliberately buried, especially in rural areas to prevent being struck by ploughs and other ag equipment. Each state should have a register for existing markers, and I think old ones can also be reported.

I see the Geocaching community also regularly seek out and report hard to find survey markers, some of them are just as old as this one with the 100 fine. :)

treasureman said:
nucopia. it wasnt found at the army camp side. more closer to home. army campsite is a 40 mins drive away.
so i think this is a bit earlier than ww2.. or isnt it?
qld /:)

Most state governments keep records of survey marks in a data base.
This is a a search of survey marks in Ararat
1439529715_image.jpg

It would depend on your state
The reason I asked about the army camp is that with live firing detailed surveys and marks would have been placed at military bases. Every time an artillery battery moves and resets up in a new postion the guns would have to be surveyed and placed in a known position on the ground relative to a known survey point.
So that they could be accuratly fired at a known place on the ground some were else.

You could be right nucopia. Areas I detect would have had army ww2 presence because I live down the coastline which saw a lot of these style of camps. The army base I went to recently is a bit further away but still relates to my area. The website you've shown me is useful and I'd be curious to see if the location of the psm appears. I'll have to wait until I'm back at a computer though. But will let you know. Now that I think about it there looked sad though there was another concrete thing sticking out of the ground nearby that may have had something to do with an artillery battery. I may go back there today and investigate a little further

Lol. It's a shame some a lost and buried and yet still can't move them. Oh well.
Around the same location I found these twobitem yesterday. I bit deeper in. The fold out fork was a metre away from this wiry item. With lead design. I thought the fork was cool. Never seen anything like it other than Swiss army knife style.
1439814269_imag0126-800x448.jpg
1439814286_imag0128-800x448.jpg
1439814300_imag0129-800x448.jpg

Latest posts