Ewingar State Forest

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! so I've been doing a bit of googling but hardly anything recent comes up for Ewingar State Forest. Does this place even exist anymore? I went on Forestry Corporation's website and can hardly find any information. It is not listed as a state Forest in Northern NSW or anywhere.

I was just wanting to visit one day to have a scrounge for some Smokey Quartz.

Anyone know of any recent updates about this place? I did see in an older thread there was mention of its closure in 2022 but someone also mentioned it has reopened since... There are also some YouTube videos dated 2023 of peeps there.

Appreciate any replies 🤠

Last edited:
According to Minview it's still a NSW State Forest & is partially open to fossicking (with a Forests NSW Fossicking Permit):
Screenshot_20240908_194419_Samsung Internet.jpg
https://minview.geoscience.nsw.gov....&z=7&bm=bm3&l=re4:y:100,ad62:y:100,ad61:y:100
The maroon & blue cross hatched areas are Fossicking not permitted areas or under lease (requires leaseholder permission to fossick there).
It's always best to contact Forests NSW directly to get the most up to date information just prior to any planned trips.
Visiting Forests enquiries:
1300 655 687
[email protected]

Haha 😆. Good advice there ! Cheers
Lately the whole area has been closed for timber harvest so check on the website for forest closures first. Cameras are present on the roads in places but permit equals legal reason to be there if the forest is open. Good luck, hoping to get out there myself to some old mine sites.

If they do that it will be closed to fossicking & likely most other recreational activities.
We don't need any more "look but don't touch" National Parks thanks.
Yeah I know what ya mean. I'm just not a supporter of shooting which prompted me to make that comment. Anyhoo that's a seperate debate ! Not gna go there. 🙂