Detecting on side of roads (NSW)?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys, just a question, can you detect for gold on the edge of a road? Also I have noticed on maps that there are areas shown as roads (as per attached) that do not exist, can you detect on these areas, they don't have any lot or DP numbers? are they council land, road reserves? Thanks
1727918711983.png
1727918782811.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure but I would hazard a guess and say that it would be against the law to dig next to a road however, i don’t think anyone would mind if you walked the road fringe for exercise looking for a gleaming pebble but without detector. The brains trust on here will give you the definitive answer. Cheers Mackka

Roads in NSW are managed by Transport for NSW &/or Local Councils depending on classification (State, Regional and Local) & arrangements between Transport for NSW + Councils.
You would need to check with one or both depending on road classification & area, but I doubt either would give permission given one of the reasons NSW Councils won't allow wood collecting etc. on road verges is safety.
See #4 😁

IMHO road verges, particularly wide ones >10 metres between bitumen/ gravel and any boundary fences should be fair game if you leave the ground as you found it. Just park in a safe, unobtrusive spot, like anyone on the roads who pulls up for a comfort stop would do. Who’s likely to be policing such activity anyway.... see post #4

Your images show an unused road enclosure. Where these fall within a larger rural property they are used by the landholder, mostly via a lease from the State govt. There has been a program in place where landholder can buy the road enclosures and a lot have done so. I wouldnt access them without landholder permission.

I've not detected in road verges but I've dug samples from quartz veins in road cuttings.

Latest posts