Detecting in Swampy, Nundle NSW?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All - Can anyone in the Forum please tell me whether it is: 1.) worth detecting for yellow on the sides of the track that runs into Swampy and parallel / down to the creek?, and 2.) also down on the banks of the creek itself (Burrows)? - or 3.) should I just focus on panning, sluicing and Yabbi pumping in the creek? Thanks in advance.

Check out this post from a Nundle local last year:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/newbie-from-nundle.41577/

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like an area that's very promising for detecting:
dean p wall:
Hi prospectors I'm a local nundle person from a line of a very prominent prospectors....
I have only just began this little love affair with prospecting in my local region my area has been gutted and I have to work really hard to find any colour...to my advantage I have a person with in depth history to help...

However, there's this:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/nundle-gold-fields-first-visit.40160/post-653339

And especially this:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/⭐-gold-detecting-shown-tell.6453/post-660356

So maybe the place isn't totally without hope. Best of luck to you anyway, Roy!

Check out this post from a Nundle local last year:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/newbie-from-nundle.41577/

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like an area that's very promising for detecting:

However, there's this:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/nundle-gold-fields-first-visit.40160/post-653339

And especially this:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/⭐-gold-detecting-shown-tell.6453/post-660356

So maybe the place isn't totally without hope. Best of luck to you anyway, Roy!
Thanks for your response @grubstake, much appreciated - however I have already read the previous post from @dean p wall and as he said he too is just a beginner despite being a local.
Also, regarding the 2 links you sent:
the first one (https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/nundle-gold-fields-first-visit.40160/#post-653339) I believe this is from a different area near Nundle (near cattle crossing?).
the second one (https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/⭐-gold-detecting-shown-tell.6453/page-543#post-660356) does show a nice nugget found in Nundle but the majority of responses continue talking about prospecting in Victoria. So, at this time I am not giving up on the Nundle area.
Although not massive, the Nundle area does many different locations that I'd like to explore (including Hanging Rock) however, my question was pertaining to just one smaller spot.
I'd therefore like to re-ask my original question (reworded slightly) in the hope that the responses I get back focus on the areas in the question only.
Again @grubstake, I hope you don't think me rude and I thank you again for your previous kind response.
My original question (repeated below):
Hi All - Can anyone in the Forum please tell me whether it is: 1.) worth detecting for yellow on the sides of the track that runs from the road towards Swampy and parallel to the creek?, and 2.) also is it worth detecting down on the banks of the creek itself (Burrows)? - or 3.) should I just focus on panning, sluicing and Yabbi pumping in the creek? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your response @grubstake, much appreciated - however I have already read the previous post from @dean p wall and as he said he too is just a beginner despite being a local.
Also, regarding the 2 links you sent:
the first one (https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/nundle-gold-fields-first-visit.40160/#post-653339) I believe this is from a different area near Nundle (near cattle crossing?).
the second one (https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/⭐-gold-detecting-shown-tell.6453/page-543#post-660356) does show a nice nugget found in Nundle but the majority of responses continue talking about prospecting in Victoria. So, at this time I am not giving up on the Nundle area.
Although not massive, the Nundle area does many different locations that I'd like to explore (including Hanging Rock) however, my question was pertaining to just one smaller spot.
I'd therefore like to re-ask my original question (reworded slightly) in the hope that the responses I get back focus on the areas in the question only.
Again @grubstake, I hope you don't think me rude and I thank you again for your previous kind response.
My original question (repeated below):
Hi All - Can anyone in the Forum please tell me whether it is: 1.) worth detecting for yellow on the sides of the track that runs from the road towards Swampy and parallel to the creek?, and 2.) also is it worth detecting down on the banks of the creek itself (Burrows)? - or 3.) should I just focus on panning, sluicing and Yabbi pumping in the creek? Thanks in advance.
Hi All - I am off to Nundle in 2 weeks time with my daughter in search of some yellow. Can anyone in the Forum please tell me in the next few days whether it is: 1.) worth detecting for yellow on the sides of the track that runs from River Road (next to Public campsite / Toilet area) towards Swampy Creek Prospecting Area and parallel to Burrows Creek?, and 2.) also, is it worth detecting down on the banks of the creek itself (Burrows)? - or 3.) should I just focus on panning, sluicing and Yabbi pumping in the creek? Thanks in advance.

Hi All - I am off to Nundle in 2 weeks time with my daughter in search of some yellow. Can anyone in the Forum please tell me in the next few days whether it is: 1.) worth detecting for yellow on the sides of the track that runs from River Road (next to Public campsite / Toilet area) towards Swampy Creek Prospecting Area and parallel to Burrows Creek?, and 2.) also, is it worth detecting down on the banks of the creek itself (Burrows)? - or 3.) should I just focus on panning, sluicing and Yabbi pumping in the creek? Thanks in advance.
1. Any location in a gold bearing region can contain gold. Re the saying “Gold is where you find it”. 2. See above. 3. You will always find some colour in the creeks around Nundle, will be tough going this time of year in the cold water. *Gold is extremely hard to find particularly nuggets at Nundle but they are there if you have the mental strength to dig every target and stamina to dig over 100 holes a day clearing up rubbish the old timers left. Your daughters age will affect your trip in that she will get very bored following you around with a metal detector. You make no mention of what detector you plan to use. You can do half a day on each activity? Its hard to convey the effort on youtube and videos 3 days long digging nothing but lead, tin shards and sqaure nails nobody wants to watch but thats closer to the truth of prospecting.

Last edited:
1. Any location in a gold bearing region can contain gold. Re the saying “Gold is where you find it”. 2. See above. 3. You will always find some colour in the creeks around Nundle, will be tough going this time of year in the cold water. *Gold is extremely hard to find particularly nuggets at Nundle but they are there if you have the mental strength to dig every target and stamina to dig over 100 holes a day clearing up rubbish the old timers left. Your daughters age will affect your trip in that she will get very bored following you around with a metal detector. You make no mention of what detector you plan to use. You can do half a day on each activity? Its hard to convey the effort on youtube and videos 3 days long digging nothing but lead, tin shards and sqaure nails nobody wants to watch but thats closer to the truth of prospecting.
Thanks for your comments @retirement stone, much appreciated.
We will do a combination of Detecting, Panning and Sluicing over 2 days so hopefully boredom won't set in. I have a Monster 1000 which I know is at the lower-end of the scale in terms of a Gold-Seeking detector, but hopefully will still find some yellow. I guess the main thing is to get into the fresh air and enjoy some personal time with family.

Thanks for your comments @retirement stone, much appreciated.
We will do a combination of Detecting, Panning and Sluicing over 2 days so hopefully boredom won't set in. I have a Monster 1000 which I know is at the lower-end of the scale in terms of a Gold-Seeking detector, but hopefully will still find some yellow. I guess the main thing is to get into the fresh air and enjoy some personal time with family.
To my dismay, the monster is quite adept at finding very small and shallow gold, so dig every sound.

With regards to the track leading to Swamp Creek Fossicking area - we went thru the gate next to the River Road Public Campsite. Came upon several signs to the left of the track saying 'Private Land'. We walked about 500 meters and came across another sign (this time actually facing us) again saying 'Private Land'. We decided not to go further forward and turned Right heading down towards the actual creek. Again, another sign, this time nailed to a tree saying the same 'Private Land'. As there was no-one around we decide to go just a bit further (in the creek and onto said 'private land') and started to get ready to Fossick (spades, buckets, pans, Yabby pump and sluice. After about 10 minutes a farmer appeared on the other side of the creek on a quad bike and was rounding up his sheep. He stopped his engine and shouted across to us 'Private Land, Go back behind the signs'. As we didn't want to cause trouble and definitely didn't fancy bullets flying past us (he didn't have a shotgun), we decided to walk back (in the creek) to the sign attached on the tree. He kept he eye on us until we went back to that point and then left and went about his business. Obviously he owns the land on both sides of the creek however just not sure about the creek itself? I thought we were free to fossick in creeks as long as we didn't go above the banks and onto private land.

Comments / thoughts please. Regards, Roy The Boy ;-)

Obviously he owns the land on both sides of the creek however just not sure about the creek itself? I thought we were free to fossick in creeks as long as we didn't go above the banks and onto private land.

Comments / thoughts please. Regards, Roy The Boy ;-)
Can't comment on the land ownership/status but the idea that creeks are free to access is a false crossover from the NSW Fisheries Management Act which gives no right/s to fossickers at all.
Basically to fossick in NSW you must have permission of some sort, regardless of where you are.
I'll check into it some more but I did think it was a fossicking area there?

After a bit of searching:

This is an old map & is only for cross-reference. It shouldn’t be used as a guide to permitted access as things have changed a lot.
1460947359_nundle_fossicking_map.gif
The old map shows the Swamp Creek Camping Reserve which should allow access to the Peel & near the junction of Burrows Creek. This is backed up by the NSW Government website:
"Visitors can try their hand fossicking at various sites around Nundle at Swamp Creek Camping Reserve, Hanging Rock Lookout and Crown Reserve and Forest Way Fossicking Site. Many visitors come to Nundle to fossick or pan for gold and sapphires in the Peel River. A permit is required for fossicking in most NSW State Forests."
https://www.nsw.gov.au/visiting-and-exploring-nsw/locations-and-attractions/nundle-fossicking
It also shows (black coloured area) the old fossicking area - not sure if this is still current & you may need a Temporary Fossicking Permit from NSW Crown Lands (other areas of Crown Lands around Nundle will likely need them too.).

From Minview:

Minview shows the Swamp Creek Camp Reserve as the first parcel on the left before going over the bridge over Burrows Creek.
The other side shaded green is a different lot number so status would need to be checked with NSW Crown Lands to be sure but from old map above appears to be the same?
The orange shading running up either side of Burrows Creek on the RHS of the road (driving away from Nundle) is also Crown Land & would include the previous fossicking area shaded black on the old map. The status of that would also need checking with NSW Crown Lands & may likely require a Temporary Fossicking Permit too.

Screenshot_20240702_174720_Samsung Internet.jpg

It would be interesting to know where the private property signs are & their legality.

Showing the wider area on Minview. White areas are private property:

Screenshot_20240702_175306_Samsung Internet.jpg

@mbasko - Sorry, but my Minview skills are very lacking. Any chance of you displaying further to the right as per my screenshot here. I reckon we didn't go as far as the RED Arrow - thanks. : 1719971770502.png

Attachments

• 1719971686834.png
    1719971686834.png
    232.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
No problem:

Screenshot_20240703_121109_Samsung Internet.jpg

Minview shows both sides of Burrows Creek as Crown Land for about 75% of it's length. Then the Peel River side through to the Burrows Falls area.
What the status of the Crown Land is would need to be clarified with NSW Crown Lands along with any required permit/s.
Unfortunately if it's under lease it's treated as private property. If under management of an authority like Council, State Water, LLS etc. then permission from them would be required.

Screenshot_20240703_121049_Samsung Internet.jpg