2016 hunts

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eurekaman said:
Nice coinage mate were they very deep at you spot?
Most of what I pick up is in the top 6 inches mate but it can depend on coin type and soil type. I'll usually only go back for the deep ones if the area has seen enough rain/wet as most of my hunts are in sensitive areas like sports clubs, parks etc.
I'll dig all day in the chip bark or private land but any grassed area I treat it like I own it. I get alot more aggressive during late autumn to early spring.

My first one mate, might as well have been a nugget. I did not for a second think that station would have one, just digging the high tones seeing what turned up.
I reckon its the aussie in us that yearns for a bit of national treasure, so I wish you all the luck in picking one up mate, nearly 2 years of seeing these pop up for others before my turn came.

1454139752_img_20160130_184142.jpg

So here it is, just over $11 but kept me busy for around 3 hours.
Only got through 20% of the area in the last half hour left anything I suspected to be a 2c in the ground was getting a bit past it.
3 bullets were scattered around pretty deep but right in the middle of town (!)
Pre decs were thin on the ground. 1956 penny, 1951 hp, 1946 rams head shilling, later dates and every one of them surprised me, extremely deep. Called the shilling as a $1 coin and the penny as a 1c as the penny was on its end instead of laying flat.
Lack of goldies had me thinking someone had cherry picked but still turned up a couple shallow and deep so I'm sure there's more to be had.
Most of the coins were in pockets around a Metre square, classic picnic arrangements, I got 4 of the 5c and 2 x 20c within a dinner plate size area. So many tones around the modern silver mark I just keep on with the solid tones and picked every coin and little junk perhaps at the expense of jewelry but second retrieval in I knicked myself good on some canslaw producing a deep bleeding cut so I gave it a miss until I glove up for next time.

Been hanging out for a virgin dig for a while put a smile on my face and I can't wait to go back.

1454141141_img_20160130_190502.jpg

Year to date (Jan) give or take some goldies missing for lunch money and a bit of laundry pocket money added in. Also minus jewelry as I hand everything in and wait my time out before advertising it to the world, and silvers in cleaning. It's amazing how small hunts add up.

Still pullin a bit of moolah Gt,... what year was your Ramshead, somewhere between 38 and 44 ?

Nice work Goldtarget, those 1c & 2c coins seem to have been quite prolific over the last year, I probably have more of them than any other coin - darned things. :|

silver said:
Still pullin a bit of moolah Gt,... what year was your Ramshead, somewhere between 38 and 44 ?
46 mate. It will be the first to undergo the new silver cleaning as recommended by pa.
Hoping for a few more dollars yet and get a coin tumbler but my local branch now does weighing so that's smiles on both sides of the bank counter but I'm sure they still think I'm mad.

Well I was way off I thinking it was 92.% silver. :lol:
Seen somewhere where a tumbler was made using an old pedestal fan to run it and mounted on a post out in the paddock, so the tumbling was cost effectively free. :D

Got a hunt in today across 3 locations, kids playground/park near a tennis court, park that does a monthly market and after work a playground and school next to an oval. Invited a forum member along for the last leg of the trip, Elbow Grease, top fella with a bit of local knowledge.
Snagged a few sunbakers today, barely needed the detector including 2x $2 perfect condition from the market park and a 50c from the last playground. EG also picked up a sunbaker 20c and uncovered a set of false teeth haha! Only after I got home did I think we should have submitted that for find of the month!

Came in a bit richer today than yesterday, must be close to $20 for the day all decimals today no early ones. Scored a weird little aluminum coin (?) perhaps, EG pointed out the date after I'd declared it a useless token, definitely different. Dug a power of screw tops but I get a lot keener when the ground is as wet as it is after being so dry, easy retrieval means I start to go everything with a near high tone so I can go back for a slower hunt next time if the ground has started drying out requiring more care and less depth on the machine.
I'll get some pics up tommorow.

Looking forward to your pics, was there no gold in the falsies? I have seen a few pics lately of bridges being found with a fair chunk of gold in their construction, ghastly but worth finding. ;)

Might have to go back mate....left the falsies on site. Doubt anyone's picked them up yet..... I didn't run my detector over it personally.

Ceska republika aka Czech Republic. 20h coin and no longer minted so clearly a long way from home.

Latest posts