2016 hunts

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another cool oddity1 for the collection, can't say I've ever seen one of those before. Pretty small too, what sort of signal/ID did you get on that? :)

I thought 1c piece it was in that range, those high aluminum (cast zinc) tones you get from the likes of the mower deck chips. 71 from memory on my machine.
It's virtually weightless, you could drag bag fulls of these around. Nearly chucked it in the bin thinking it was rubbish....didn't think a coin would be made out of aluminum.

1454319664_img_20160201_203947.jpg

Saturdays shilling after a little bath and some loving. Thank you PA.

Goldtarget said:
Had a hunt today....found a cracker recent coin spill. Pics to come.
1454712158_img_20160206_093138.jpg

This all came from an area where they hold a monthly market and playground, I didn't get over all the area where the stalls are held. At least half the face value come from one small area where someone had dropped a heap of coins, a spill. The local Council has put down mulch around the paths so any helpless coins that fall during trade outside the path areas have a good chance of blending in. Most of the silvers were in in that spot and couple goldies over $8 worth I was like a kid at Xmas.
All the times Mrs GT has dragged me along to markets is starting to pay off! :eek:

Also went back to the old rail site with about 30 mins of daylight fully expecting to run into my mate again for round 2. Got a few targets in by swapping over to the smaller coil (5 inch round) the site has a phenomenal amount of steel laying around and it brought the patch back to life, was still tough going as the pin pointer still sees everything.

The lumps are lead, and one of the buttons is clearly from Bendigo I love a bit of localized history.
The shotgun primer is a umc new club, and now I'm kicking myself as I tossed a couple of these in worse condition on previous hunts not realizing a good one might come out to add to the historic collection.
Spent some time trying to revive the brass filigree but its been underground for a long while and needs something to help it along better than polishing. I have a key I picked up earlier that fits the brass plate so I'm not sure if they are one and the same but another little piece of the puzzle comes together.
1454713275_img_20160206_094135.jpg

Glad you had a good experience with your rail trip to help counter the last one Gt,...great fun when the markets turn into a coin fair too. :D

In Brisbane we now have Sunday Markets in the Royal Botanical Gardens in the city. I don't think a Monday am detect would go down too well here, they would throw you to the bullsharks in the Brisbane River a few metres away.(Blobblob, blob blob, blob-------............)
Jaros 8)

Any sites where I find those old UMC shells and 2/4 hole buttons usually prove to be pretty lucrative for 1800's coinage Goldtarget. I know what you mean by all the buried iron at the sidings, especially when they dump all the old rails off to the side of the railway line, makes for fun detecting. :)

I picked up a couple of coins in that station GP but nothing really early, from everything I've gathered up it seems most of what's been found is 1920-40s era. The station was opened up a couple of decades before the turn of the century but I think maybe all the really good stuff from then would be buried.
Not sure if everything was just left or pushed over but I suspect pushed over, as the site is flat but mounded around the edges. It is ringed by old growth trees giving the clue where it used to reside. Scraping back the top foot or so and extracting the steel and tin would yield a few goodies I have no doubt.

Hunted an old church today yielding a 1912 penny and a 1910 threepence.
Then off to a park I'd being eyeing off for a while making up a bit of fuel money.
I'll get some pics and a background story up tomorrow.

Goldtarget said:
I picked up a couple of coins in that station GP but nothing really early, from everything I've gathered up it seems most of what's been found is 1920-40s era. The station was opened up a couple of decades before the turn of the century but I think maybe all the really good stuff from then would be buried.
Not sure if everything was just left or pushed over but I suspect pushed over, as the site is flat but mounded around the edges. It is ringed by old growth trees giving the clue where it used to reside. Scraping back the top foot or so and extracting the steel and tin would yield a few goodies I have no doubt.

Sounds like you would need a backhoe around there to get anything older. I'll have to look into detecting more old railway sidings, one site down here has been very lucrative and is where I picked up the florin spill. ;)

1454811073_img_20160207_130925.jpg

The moderns came from a botanical gardens park next to an oval that looked like it would hold any amount of treasure. Most came from the play area, I've gotten a lot better at manipulating the detector to get in around the poles and platforms thanks to the www and a number of useful tips....This is where target id and all metal with gain level adjustments help tremendously. That mower clipped 2c was a long way down.....if only all coins rang out like the two 2s do! I got through a fair portion around the playground infrastructure but there's is plenty of rolling grass that had some high id tones left to conquer. The adjacent sporting ovals and lake have plenty of potential I would love to spend a day detecting around this town.

Most of my time was spent hunting an old church, looking for that old coin rush, and in hindsight I would have spent much more time in the park if I knew just how hard the church was going to be. Judging but the nails and tin the re - roofing of the old church was done in a rush, I could not move to any quiet spot around the 4 sides.
If I go back I will take the gold pick with the magnet. Despite spending a good two hours out near the entry side picking up nails and lead washers I did manage to snag an old button and the two old coins. I actually thought the threepence was another bit of lead. The penny was deep under leaf litter from the peppercorns, through a layer of driveway gravel resting just on the red clay layer, about 8 or so inches. I had given up on it being a coin and digging all the junk and then gravel with sweat dripping off me my patient self had left and I duly nicked it. I was less disappointed as I examined it as the front side has had almost all distinct features wiped off by corrosion on clean up. The old coppers are strange like that that they can be quite alright even good on one side but ruined on the reverse.
The little silver is very well worn but in top nick out of the ground, it's proximity to the gums and relative shallow depth has kept it in great order.

I always enjoy the detailed accounts of your trips, it is usually enough to get me off my bum and go for a detect. ;)

Those 2c coins are a pain, surprising how often they can ring up even stronger than a larger coin like a penny, although obviously not pinpointing the same size. Congrats of the threepence. :)

Latest posts