Whites TDI Pro Oz Wanted

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how to take the above. I don't mind helping people but it seems that you are insinuating that anyone that spends more than $1000 on a gold detector is dumb?
Heres a reality check for you - do a search on detector gold finds in Australia. Then link back here all the recent finds you are talking about that are regularly found with detectors that are worth less than $1000. Good luck!
All I've seen here is people trying to help you out, on this thread & your PM's, so I don't get your shot above. No one here has suggested that if you haven't got a Garrett or Minelab your not serious?
Seriously mate - buy the best you can afford & make your own decision. If you find a machine, of any make, less than $1000 with regular gold finds please let us all know.

mbasko, my sincere apologies.

That was not what was meant. And you're correct all the contacts here have been very good. Some with excellent links.

However, we all have to stick with our own experiences; and a lot of mine have had a common theme, that if you aren't in with the big boys with the likes of ML and Garrett you are just playing around. But then perception is reality.

I don't know if this is usual but it has been my experience that most people don't share when and how much they've found. Sure, there are a few on YouTube but I've found that most like to be on the discreet side to the point of down-right secretive. I'd be classified in the latter category.

The instances of personal contact I've had with prospectors with units they bought under a K. The three gents involved bought them second hand:- Sofala 27 grams. Hill End 15 grams. Clermont 21 grams. Eidsvold 59 grams. Forsayth 119 grams, 35 grams & 24 grams. Western Creek 42 grams, 61 grams and 190 grams.

All I'm saying is that these old blokes seem to have some kind of knack turning up pay-dirt with very basic machines. I wish I had that kind of talent.

The other comment I made about people paying such incredible money for the big end detectors is, for me at least, confusing, because most of them are not making much out of it and I believe that's reflected by the heap of MLs for sale all over the net. Maybe they all made so much money they don't need to go detecting anymore.

And my TDI SL is costing more than a K.

The secret in any hobby is buy the best tools for the trade that you can personally afford, being ML, Garrett or Whites. I found a 40 gram nugget last year in WA that could have been easly picked up with an Aldi Detector, but that Aldi Detector wouldn't have averaged me an ounce and a half a week like the GPX. Liz cleaned up with a TDI pro, and again that Aldi would have picked up a few because of location....not its capability.

You're on the right track with what you're looking for.....but at the end of the day, low end detectors take a lot of enthusiasm out of a prospecting trip, through lack of confidence in the machines when others are pulling nuggets nearby. $1500 for a TDI is a bargain and you're getting a lot of bang for your buck with a machine of that caliber.

Wal.

Thanks for that Wal. Yes, you're right, the low end detectors will pick up gold but a push-bike isn't going to do the same job as a back-hoe. And consistency is what any sensible prospector is seeking, as you so clearly pointed out with your finds.

And that is the very reason I'm getting a TDI-SL because a couple of the participants here have given me chapter and verse as to why I ought to go with this model. Indeed, one of them stopped just short of reading the riot act on me if I didn't follow his common sense advice about getting a 'decent' detector.

So thanks again for the insight Wal.

I've got the best detector, and I have had the worst detector, but my boots have to be on the right ground for either of them to find gold.

SunriseBoy said:
Thanks for that Wal. Yes, you're right, the low end detectors will pick up gold but a push-bike isn't going to do the same job as a back-hoe. And consistency is what any sensible prospector is seeking, as you so clearly pointed out with your finds.

And that is the very reason I'm getting a TDI-SL because a couple of the participants here have given me chapter and verse as to why I ought to go with this model. Indeed, one of them stopped just short of reading the riot act on me if I didn't follow his common sense advice about getting a 'decent' detector.

So thanks again for the insight Wal.
Are you getting the SL upgraded/modded? If not you might get a case of the hiccups? Not sure if Whites made the upgrade/mod to the SL (especially if purchased from the US) to rid the hiccup issue but it is now on all the SPP's. If your buying from Goldsearch Australia they would be able to let you know if the mod might be needed or not.

ALL SPP were recalled and had new circuit boards fitted and as far as hiccups they were the only whites with that problem regards john :)

Thanks for that fellas. I'm getting the SL. If that has the hiccups I've been informed it can be done by one or other of a very competent duo who are well respected contributors here. And at one seventh the cost of a particular commercial outfit.

old hand said:
ALL SPP were recalled and had new circuit boards fitted and as far as hiccups they were the only whites with that problem regards john :)

Reg said:
"If you live in OZ and try to use the SL, most likely you will need the mods. The SL and the SPP basically are the same detector except the SPP has a fixed delay and no conductivity switch."
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?73,2142484,2142484
If Whites haven't upgraded the TDI SL then it looks like you'll more than likely need them done. Keep in mind that your warranty will go to if not done by Whites. Why Whites haven't automatically upgraded them in line with the SPP who knows? Don't need to "dump" the TDI SL here I guess unlike the excess SPP.

Bidnip.com is your ebay friend. I use this all the time, set it for 3 seconds and max price you are willing to pay. BAM! It's mine, thank you very much. You get 5 free snipes when you sign up.
Helps keep prices down.
cheers,
Paul.

SunriseBoy said:
You are a Registered-Practicing-Genius. Thank you.

Don't rush out and get the mods done right away because as Daz said it only happens in some areas, I have used all kinds of trick to make mine hiccup and I can't get it to do it, but the sensitivity mod might be worth it, but on the other hand the miner john 5x9 coil might see gold small enough, The can see gold down to about 0.06 to 0.08 with that MJ coil so get that coil and some split shot and see how small that set up will go, just give the shot a whack with a hammer coz the little buggers run clean off the scales when you try to weigh them

Have fun and good luck with your new machine,, john

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts