Wals' Hi-banker Specifications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldtarget said:
Geo2 said:
Thanks Wal. Any gold that gets stuck inside the weave and try not to come out -after flushing it by strong spray of water- a hard beat on the back of the mat , sure will do the job. I found it shreds easily , but it can be had for cheap so no prob, just stock more of it just in case.
I rarely use unbacked mats. With the backed mats just roll it up mat to outside and backing to the inside and work it in a 20l bucket allowing the fold to run back and forth and empty out the mat.
A pic would be better but 99.9% will come out and the mats will last and last without needing to be too gentle.

That is good news ! I don't like some gold stuck inside the mat, but running rich material shall fix that. Aside note; are these mats are better than the carpet ones? I see some people use carpets and say it catches fine gold very well. I suspect the carpet to be more difficult for getting most of the gold especially the small type out of it, but I am not sure. Some miners burn these wool carpets at the end of it's life and pan the ashes to get any fine gold that is contained inside of it.

Glad to know that your Gal-steel is of good quality. Some of newer gal is not well made and would crack easily.
You are right, my friend :D that's exactly what happens when the gal gets scratched or the coating is stripped from it. Needs some time to rust though. I have my gal pile in the yard , two years and no sign of rust . I think the enemy of the gal steel is the mineralized water, the mineral salts (eats) the exterior coating and expose the steel to the rust process, so if the water you use on the gal sluice or such is heavy on minerals then it would eventually show signs of rusts and weak points, it would be first covered with white color (chemical process between the coating and the minerals in the water).
But as I said just running water on it should solve the rust problem on the surface.

yass00_Au said:
Hi Geo,

As far as scorning of the gal is concerned, I've used my Wakbanker a dozen times in the last 1.5 years and there is no sign of scorning whatsoever however, I only used gal sheet on the back plate of the hopper as I did not have further access to ally to complete. Rest of unit is made up of ally which includes box and hopper sides.

Where I have cut gal with grinder shows no signs of rust as I filed it down after cutting. I'm sure if I hammered this unit every weekend or at least a few times a month then the gal might start to scorn. In saying that the rear of hopper receives little use or impact from gravels unless I am overloading with 2 - 3 shovels full.

As far as I know gal is self healing in small scratches and chips are concerned, with large chips and gouges then rust sets in if the coating is stripped obviously. I could be wrong though?

Love my Walbanker!

Regards,

Ross

Finally finished my version of the Walbanker today. Externally a little different but the internals are the same apart from being a touch wider.

Absolutely loved putting this thing together and can't wait to take it out and start feeding it.

Once I get my supply hose delivered I'll set it up out in the backyard and make sure my spray bars are working correctly and all the internals stay where they should.

Thanks to all those who helped with information and parts, its much appreciated.

1425887888_rps20150309_181754.jpg

1425887939_rps20150309_181612.jpg

1425887997_rps20150309_181710.jpg

1425888140_rps20150309_181645.jpg

Mate,
That is a very well done job.
Now just get out there and wash some rocks and dirt off. :D
Also don't forget to wash and polish it when you are finished. :lol:
Hate to say but I think your mesh is in backwards, Can we have a photo of it please.?
If it is you will do a Hoffman style cleanup. :rolleyes:

Cheers mate, I absolutely loved putting together.

As for the mesh, here's a photo of it directly above. If it's in backwards, it's better to know now then when I'm out feeding it.

Everything's fixable and we live and learn.

Cheers for the feedback mate.

1425891656_rps20150309_195819.jpg

Sloped sections should be facing water flow direction..ie..acting as a ramp for the gravel to flow over and form a vortex. Just flip it over and it will be pointing in the right direction. ;) Looks the goods and will work for you.

Awesome mate ! That is a nice looking highbanker you have there ! If I were you I would keep it away of dirt as long as possible :D

Ah ! and the sloped front end adds more edge to thise lovely design . Thanks and cheers to ya !

docjohnson9 said:
Finally finished my version of the Walbanker today. Externally a little different but the internals are the same apart from being a touch wider.

Absolutely loved putting this thing together and can't wait to take it out and start feeding it.

Once I get my supply hose delivered I'll set it up out in the backyard and make sure my spray bars are working correctly and all the internals stay where they should.

Thanks to all those who helped with information and parts, its much appreciated.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4229/1425887888_rps20150309_181754.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4229/1425887939_rps20150309_181612.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4229/1425887997_rps20150309_181710.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4229/1425888140_rps20150309_181645.jpg

Cheers Wal, have flipped it over and it now looks the goods (creating a ramp.)

Geo2, I can't wait to get it dirty and feed the beast mate.

I just set up my highbanker and ran it for the first time to see how it goes and as far as I can see, not bad at all. I'll need to get some camlocks for the pump and hoses, but other than that I think it's ok.

For those that have a bit more experience than me, does it look like there's enough water flow running through the thing and enough pressure coming out of the spray bars?

EDIT: The suction hose is 5m long and the supply is 21m long.

Cheers.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/kSLXfFrAH_E[/video]

Looks like enough water from the vid mate....You can set the correct angle once you run some gravel through it. The slick plate needs to be gravel free and the boiler section should be about half full of heavies for the full section of expanded. The crate section should have a small amount of the matting visible and not be more than 1/4 full of heavies.

Cheers for the feedback Wal.

I guess I won't really now how it's going until I get it out in the field and start feeding it.

You can shorten the intake hose by half. You will not need 5 meters. It will be a handful carrying it to your spot and shorter the hose = more pressure and less strain on the pump.
I have got 20 meters of lay flat and extra camlocks. I cut the hose to 7 meters and 13 meters that can be joined by cam locks. This makes it more versatile for different areas. You will end up with 7 m, 13 m and 20m hose combinations. It will come handy in tight places, trust me. :)

Beagleboy said:
You can shorten the intake hose by half. You will not need 5 meters. It will be a handful carrying it to your spot and shorter the hose = more pressure and less strain on the pump.
I have got 20 meters of lay flat and extra camlocks. I cut the hose to 7 meters and 13 meters that can be joined by cam locks. This makes it more versatile for different areas. You will end up with 7 m, 13 m and 20m hose combinations. It will come handy in tight places, trust me. :)

I went 8, 16 & 25 :)

Beagleboy said:

Yeah absolutely mate.

I just didn't want to cut them until I had some camlocks/joiners and until I had checked out where I'm going to take the bad boy.

I will definitely shorten the hoses though and your 7m, 13m and 20m combinations seem like a good idea mate.

Marked said:
Beagleboy said:

I went 8, 16 & 25 :)
Looks like we think alike Marked. :)

Just wondering if there are any expanded drawings (plans) of the Walbanker out there which can be used to assist in making it??

willo1 said:
Just wondering if there are any expanded drawings (plans) of the Walbanker out there which can be used to assist in making it??

Pretty sure someone drew some up and posted a link in the first half a dozen pages of this thread.

Thanks, Marked and Geo2, exactly what I was looking for. I looked at all the pages but I just didn't go through all the links on each page.....Thanks again.

Latest posts