treasureman`s ongoing finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes simmering is the way now with copper coins silver.
Which do you think would be the better detector for deeper depth finds on say a three pence, garrett at gold, minelab explorer 2, or whites gmt?

I'm only using an ACE250 TM,...I haven't used any of those you mentioned so couldn't comment on them,... I found a the threepence at 4 inches with the ACE250(posting that on my thread next).
treasureman said:
yes simmering is the way now with copper coins silver.
Which do you think would be the better detector for deeper depth finds on say a three pence, garrett at gold, minelab explorer 2, or whites gmt?

those 3 pence can be illusive. I went for a swing this afternoon and picked up
2 x 1921 penny's, 1950 penny, 1939 penny, 2 x 1938 penny, 1949 penny, 1950 half penny, 1959 half penny 1946 florin,
10 coins in total, and some junk.
1421918901_dsc_4343.jpg

and once they are cleaned (quick job)
1421919689_dsc_4345.jpg

1421919689_dsc_4346.jpg

If you concentrate on finding 3ds you shouldn't miss anything else in the higher tone range TM.
The coppers certainly look good like that,....and the relief at getting a silver out of Mother Earths grasp(hard won) is the best feeling of relief that I know(ha).

There was a bit of a coin spill msybe 5 in the same spot. I think in pretty good condition. Only simmered 8 mins. Could have done longer.

Is that virgin olive oil TM ?
treasureman said:
There was a bit of a coin spill msybe 5 in the same spot. I think in pretty good condition. Only simmered 8 mins. Could have done longer.

yes mate its all i have in terms of olive oil. they probably could have done with another ten minutes in the simmer

Rodger, regarding the Tags, havent done much research yet, after googling US ARMY WW2 Charles R Mcdaniel i aslo come up with this possible owner of the tags that served in WW2 , same name, however lived much longer (1903-1979) than the first stated Charles R Mcdaniel.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=26823650

Also just dicovered this link for Charles R McDaniel WW2 and there are 4 Charles R McDaniel's here, still no confirmation
http://www.familytreenow.com/records/world-war-2-personnel/mcdaniel/charles

FOUND HIM!!!!
http://www.ww2enlistment.org/index.php?page=directory&rec=5391770

You've been doing really well lately, the pre-decs popping out left, right and centre. :) I too am throwing my coppers in the oil, seems to be the best way to protect them from further oxididation. I see your florin has a nice coppery hue to it, I had the same and have stopped using any electrolysis on anything other than the higher silver content coins, due to the 50% copper ones not agreeing with the process.

How long until it loses the copper colour? Ive got a few now that are coloured. And remain `stained/tinted`.
Im sure he has to.have relatives. I found him on ancestory, however any further info like children will have to pay a joining fee. But ive looked as far as i can go for now until i can justify joining ancestory.com

And the pre dec have come left right and centre thanks to a spot where some form of gambling went on, using a bucket to throw ur coin in. As i found the bucket. And this area rewarded me with most of my kitty. Hope to come across another similar but a long shot

Paulmarr said:
GP - the copper colour eventually disappears with time (a few days) and oxidation

A few of mine have remained with the copper coating, been a while now and no change - thinking it may possibly have something to do with the process not working properly, maybe some copper from the wiring is coating the coin, even with the correct polarity.

Maybe electrolysis forced the cipper pigment to the surface or moves outward while electrolysis is in place. Or could it be staining? Ive had this happen to a few. Other have gone a more darker blue, black, maybe from 70+ years in the earth. Minerals attaching to the coin.

11 Florins is a good tally, you could get a coin display folder for them and start searching for the missing dates next, it always helps to have a goal to reach(makes the brain tick over in a different way)...how long now(roughly), since you started searching to achieve this result TM ?.

Thanks for the advice silver. Ive been contemplating a coin folder to track the coin dates and would encourage me to fill in the gaps. I think i found my first pre decimal late last year some time in november and have steadily increased since. Trying new spots. Getting a better idea what to look for and keeping the positivity of possibility of findibg more and more. And the likeliness that there are more cool unique treasure items out there. Even in australia. But yet to find something close despite the hours put in so far
1422061561_cam02374.jpg
1422061583_cam02376.jpg
1422061612_cam02377.jpg
1422061632_cam02378.jpg
1422061648_cam02372.jpg

Latest posts