Today I BOUGHT

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
loamer said:
1952 'Handbook on Prospecting in SA' - issued by the Dept of Mines - SA. Didn't even know it existed. Soft cover - a wee bit fragile but in good nick.
1971 'Historic Guide to Bendigo - with map of goldfields, streets, lines of reef and principal shafts'. The Royal Historical Society of Vic. Mainly bought it for the map but a pretty good read as well I might add.

Did you get it off ebay or is there a shop that sells these? I know some of these books are almost imposible to find.

Book shop in Melbourne. Also bought two Brough Smyths books - cost a quid but he especially is one of my geologist heroes. I had Brough Smyths 'Goldfields and Mineral Districts' as an ebook but the hard copy has many fold out maps that you just can't get with the electronic version. (It's the 1980 reprint). Also got his '1874 Geological survey of Vic' as well. Original book that has been rebound. I look at ebay but some of the 'buy now' prices are ridiculous. Have got several good Idriess books but these are drying up.

A block of "old Jamaica" chocolate, sorry just my treat until buy a better detector
Jac :8

Inglewood- Gold Town of Early Victoria 1859-1982.
Rheola 1870 - 1985
Kingower 2006
Inglewood - 50 Years of Gold, 2009
A Brief History of Inglewood

Grand total for the lot - $45. I have no idea why a lot of gold books are popping up at the moment. This little lot covers a broad area in the north of the Golden triangle. have not seen them before and will be most interested in reading them. I have a copy of 'Rheola 1870 - 1970'. An excellent book with a lot of detail on locations, finds etc; and goes into more detail than my Flett book on the goldfields. It is interesting to note that older gold books (pre-detector boom times) were very specific in discussing locations, finds, maps etc. As the detector boom took off, a lot of references seem to be have become very general in their nature, bit like Gold gem & Treasure.

A pair of sieves and a baby pan. Fiddy bucks at Aussie disposals. Bargain.

1386657519_sieves.jpg

$156 worth of groceries at Woolies and was only required to pay $36 for the lot. Christmas came early but all legal :D

A pair of headphones after getting extremely frustrated at the noisy windy trees, constant truck traffic, and even really loud birds, now I can really hear my 705! Me thinks it won't be long till my first nugget now!! ;) :D

Cheers, Paul.

I purchase the new Spot Gen 3 GPS spotter, got it so the wife knows where I'm at when out in the bush and also I has a few features to summon help if I get into trouble. A bit of "peace of mind" for her or may be she knows when I coming home so she can get rid of her boyfriend!! :eek:

www.findmespot.net

A couple of Victorian Goldfields Mining Registrars Reports June 1886 and Dec 1886 ......

Full of details of activity from all Vic. goldfields and stats of all sorts as well as a few single page and large fold out maps. Couple of examples follow .....

Also picked up a 1st edition of Flett's Old Pubs book, anyone know of a Gov. site that has a register of hotels/inns/licenced premises and such from the 1800's, the one I was hoping would be listed was not mentioned.

1386753863_mrr_cres.jpeg

This one refers to Sulky Gully (Midas Co) and their shaft.

1386753979_mrr_dun.jpeg

This one shows a cross section of reef running through Dunolly

1386754078_mrr_bbt.jpeg

This shows mining leases between Bet Bet and Timor (Tarnagulla area)

Cheers Tom

kleinman98 said:
A green plastic shovel for beach metal detecting from Bunnings at $48.50
Same shovel that is used in the Frederick Barnes Utube videos.

Hi Kleinman,
Any chance of a photo so that I can take it to my local Bunnings so that they know what I'm talking about, they sure don't.
Thanks Tom

Teemore, they call it a compost shovel, I bought one a while back. Haven't used it since I got myself an Indiana prime scoop :)

Teemore said:
kleinman98 said:
A green plastic shovel for beach metal detecting from Bunnings at $48.50
Same shovel that is used in the Frederick Barnes Utube videos.

Hi Kleinman,
Any chance of a photo so that I can take it to my local Bunnings so that they know what I'm talking about, they sure don't.
Thanks Tom
They have them here at Nowra because I saw some on the rack in the gardening tools, shovels and spades. Mine has been modified now so doesnt look like it did.

Green plastic square mouth shovel. Large.
http://www.bunnings.com.au/cyclone-short-handle-multi-purpose-poly-shovel_p3350163

I bought a walking/hiking stick. It is a camera monopod, it has a compass, it can be used as a crutch if you turn an ankle or similar and gives great support when hiking. Great value at around $30
1386838028_image.jpg

Might do the same with one of those Pistol Probe pinpointers! It's a wonder no one has been peppered with gunfire in the US holding one of those! :)

Publican Index of 19th Century - Victoria - Manuscript book. Bit tattered but otherwise OK.

Latest posts