Targets That Sound Similar To Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do the following have a similar sound signal as gold? I use a GPX4500 and a 12 inch evo coil:

bullet casing
small shot ball
small nail
small bit of wire
small tack
small bit of steel and
ironstone

These are the most common targets that im finding am I on the right track here.

I find am I doing this right if I feel that theres a target but not 100 % sure should I ground balance next to the signal target and go over the area again before digging is this the correct thing to do please let me know thanks tim

ps: still no gold yet as said these are my most common finds

typical days detecting is duration of say 3 and a half hours maybe 4 if lucky this consist of say:

5 bullet cases
4 shot small balls
some bits of small wire
some nails
pieces of steel and
probably 2 hot rocks pebble sized though

but no gold

yellowmellow said:
typical days detecting is duration of say 3 and a half hours maybe 4 if lucky this consist of say:

5 bullet cases
4 shot small balls
some bits of small wire
some nails
pieces of steel and
probably 2 hot rocks pebble sized though

but no gold

That was my experience initially. I still dig up the same trash but with persistence and many hours of detecting I find the good stuff at regular intervals. I ground balance my GPX 4500 often. It will happen if you keep at it yellowmellow and good luck.

Hi YM,

Yep, all that will sound off as a metal target and you are obviously going well at hearing them.

Dig all targets as telling gold from everything else 100% of the time just not possible.

If you are finding lead then you will find gold...if gold is there. That is the important bit, gold has to be in the location you are searching.

Best of luck.

Thin thready bits of wire get me excited, then disappointed.
I banged a 5g sunbaker once that I didnt see because I was distracted by a bird flying past ha ha.....thought it was trash it was that loud, looked down and was pleasantly surprised.
Dig everything....and try not to be distracted by passing birds ha ha

the key is location and knowledge of the area lots of prospectors don't find gold some probably never will and some are just lucky gold is not easy to find
and if you are picking up shot and shoe tacks etc you are on to it you just have to put your coil over a piece of gold it will happen one day good luck

Muza said:
Staples! They sound unbelievably identical to gold. Even more so than lead shot
And I swear to god!...If I ever find the bloke who flew over the WA goldfields while tipping a box of staples out of the plane I will yell at him loudly!
I could understand finding used staples, but un-used ones in the middle of nowhere has me puzzled!

kingswood said:
Muza said:
And I swear to god!...If I ever find the bloke who flew over the WA goldfields while tipping a box of staples out of the plane I will yell at him loudly!
I could understand finding used staples, but un-used ones in the middle of nowhere has me puzzled!
They are used...from a staple gun not a stapler.
Usually find an old lease peg somewhere near by.

madtuna said:
kingswood said:
Muza said:
They are used...from a staple gun not a stapler.
Usually find an old lease peg somewhere near by.
Really??...good point I will look for pegs now :)

kingswood said:
Muza said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wonderful aren't they
:poop: ya to 8.(

Latest posts