Miners huts

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why theres nothing wrong with that one that a little plumbing of walls and some bracing to keep them true. Then a Pole Roof with some Sod to SLOW the rain till it could DRIP off the back of the roof. with a Tin barrel stove and some scrounged stove pipe you'd have a Nice SHACK to live in!!!
In the winter of 1981-82 I lived in a 7' x 7' x7' cabin all winter while panning and sluicing for gold on the Middle Fork of the Yuba River in Califrornia. I HAD to make $80 to have enough money to buy gas and such to make it out and back to the Gold Exchange in town to sell my gold.

I did Strike It Rich Skiffed! My reason for staying all winter on the River was to See it Rise in Full Flood in the Spring Run off. I knew where I had gotten a lot of gold Dredging that Summer and I wanted to see how that correlated with where I Thought it should accumulate!
To keep myself from Going Loony I packed an extra 12 volt Battery down across the Dutchman Cable Car into the Cabin and used it for the Radio and my Dome light I stole out of the '68 Dodge van. I used some Blasting Cap wire to hook them up. for the switch for the radio I just stripped the insulation for a 1/2" and bent into a S hook so the other end that went to the radio would turn it on and to turn it off I just bent an S with the insulation still on to hang it on.
I needed to know When I had enough gold to go to town and back, so I would snuffer up all the gold I got from the black sand and use my gas torch and baking soda to refine it. Then I would weight it out on my RCBS Powder Scales and know how much weight I had. I would listen on the Radio to hear what the Spot price for gold was and then I would know how much money I had. I had to have $80.00 or more to pay for the trip to town and back.
While I was reading Taggarts Handbook of Ore Dressing on the Deister Bump Table I thought I wold try that in the gold pan and By Gosh it worked. Tapping the top of a tilted pan send the gold to the top corner of the pan ala the 'Blueberry Bump'. In 1980 I thought I was pretty Smart to figure that out. Well some 20 years later I watched a video from GPAA and I was offended that they didn't give me credit for the "Bump Method". Well some 10+ years later I was reading De RE Metallica and on page 336 in the upper part of the woodcut it shows a man bumping the pan with the palm of his hand. In the text it explains what he is doing and why. WELL I was flustered and had to admit to myself that I wasn't so "SMART" after all, if they knew how to do this in 1547 and Before.
It's ALWAYS good to have those Ego Deflating Moments in your life its just what you do with them afterward that Counts.
Sincerely
Bill aka "Lost Adams"

Latest posts