Smelting gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am very new to the Gold melting process. I have a scrap gold bar that I am trying to purify. I have used the borax melted using an electic S.Y.Furnice. I have so many questions. How do I tell if my gold is purifying? How do I text my gold? And how do I know what kind of gold it is?
Thank you 😊

Your gold will have many types of impurities that we as armatures cannot remove. Unless you need pure gold we can just remove the worst of it during the melting process. If you've done the usual melt and pour using borax for flux then you most likely have the majority of the impurities removed but that will depend on how clean the original gold was before the first melt. Over here in the west we get a lot of lead in the fine gold, much of it in the form of shotgun pellets. If the first melt included some lead then it can be easily removed in a cupel. Best to youtube the process. Basically the cupel is a clay pot similar to a crucible that absorbs it's weight in lead. You remelt your gold in the cupel, it's a slow process where the lead oxidises and bleeds off into the cupel leaving your purified gold as a bright shiny button.

Hi everyone. I am very new to the Gold melting process. I have a scrap gold bar that I am trying to purify. I have used the borax melted using an electic S.Y.Furnice. I have so many questions. How do I tell if my gold is purifying? How do I text my gold? And how do I know what kind of gold it is?
Thank you 😊
If you have a nice amount send it to a refiner and have them do it and send you back to you, stamped 9999 ingots with their makers mark.

You will waste a lot of gold learning to do the refining process yourself.

Just do the standard melt with borax yourself and leave it at that.

This is my furnace and melting with borax process and youtube video

If you have a nice amount send it to a refiner and have them do it and send you back to you, stamped 9999 ingots with their makers mark.

You will waste a lot of gold learning to do the refining process yourself.

Just do the standard melt with borax yourself and leave it at that.

This is my furnace and melting with borax process and youtube video

That is awesome mate, thank you for sharing how simple it can be!!!!

Latest posts