So easy to get lost

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I decided to test my direction skills one day while detecting WA and tried to find the car without looking at GPS. Couldn't find the car, turned on GPS. Was about 200 meters from car.
I ALWAYS mark car, take 2 GPS spare batteries, hand held radio, Telstra phone, whistle, compass, matches, water.
I made a big mistake once on the GPS and set out to return to vehicle to the nearest mark. That nearest mark was a previous day's mark. Several kilometres later walking in wrong direction, hot, water finished, realized mistake, called my mate on radio who was at car confirmed the car gps position, made my way back to car. Learned a lesson. I think it takes some time to hone your direction skills and should be tested occasionally.

40 years back, I thought I was a natural at bush navigation until one overcast day in the WA goldfields I set off for an afternoon explore and got totally bushwacked, without the sun and shadows that I until then unconsciously used to navigate. Fortunately, my wife realised that it was heading towards twilight and lit a sizeable smokey fire back at camp. When I noticed the column of smoke rising above the distant scrub, I realised that I was heading away from camp rather than towards it, changed course and was soon back safely to a nice, hot cuppa tea and a sheepish explanation of my adventure. :oops: Lesson learnt!

I was in the bush on the weekend and there was what I thought was fighter jets in the split second fly over me, it turned out it was almost full size model remote controlled jets haha. I was so excited I walked through the bush rather than the 4WD track I walked in on and I lost my bearings. I ended up coming out on the other side of my car down the road and must have looked lost because the only car around pulled up and checked if I was all good. I had to explain I wanted to see the jets and thats when the guy said, "The model plane guys at the air strip?" so my excitement dropped a little haha.

I'm used to the bush around my hometown, but now I've moved away I've learnt I need to work on my navigation skills and get better equipment. I made a post about looking for a backpack mainly for the first aid and navigation equipment just because how dangerous it is out in the country.

Have you got any other tips and suggestions for any equipment?

I replace the batteries in my both of my GPS units everyday and always mark where I have parked as base.
Also carry home made survival kit, compass, whistle, fire starter, PLB etc etc
Was in the Murchison earlier this year and you couldnt see the car after walking 30m thru the scrub.
It was easy to see how people can get bushed if they enter the scrub without taken the proper equipment and I dont believe there are many excuses for not having the right gear these days.
The amount of blokes who think nothing of spending big $$ on a coil but wont spent 300 on a PLB that could save your life

I replace the batteries in my both of my GPS units everyday and always mark where I have parked as base.
Also carry home made survival kit, compass, whistle, fire starter, PLB etc etc
Was in the Murchison earlier this year and you couldnt see the car after walking 30m thru the scrub.
It was easy to see how people can get bushed if they enter the scrub without taken the proper equipment and I dont believe there are many excuses for not having the right gear these days.
The amount of blokes who think nothing of spending big $$ on a coil but wont spent 300 on a PLB that could save your life
So do you use your GPS solely as you're navigation? I've used my phone in the past but now I'm away from the coast I'll definitely get a stand alone gps unit. Do you carry a hardcopy map of the area you're in on yourself? Also have to ask what backpack do you use? Sorry to ask so many questions. I'm finding a lot of places people send you out to can be pretty full on, and they warn you before they do so honestly any knowledge you can pass on would be great.

So do you use your GPS solely as you're navigation? I've used my phone in the past but now I'm away from the coast I'll definitely get a stand alone gps unit. Do you carry a hardcopy map of the area you're in on yourself? Also have to ask what backpack do you use? Sorry to ask so many questions. I'm finding a lot of places people send you out to can be pretty full on, and they warn you before they do so honestly any knowledge you can pass on would be great.
Yes and my Iphone for additional support but mainly for Trilobite. I carry hard copy maps but they rarely get used these days, it would be quite rare for both GPS units to fail.
I use a basic 3 pocket back pack, nothing special but allows me to carry plenty of water and some additional food/snacks.
Maybe do a local bushcraft, survival and remote first aid course that is local to your area of operations.
I also carry a small survival kit made by Bob Cooper as well that is only for absolute emergency
https://www.bobcoopersurvival.com/shop/bob-cooper-survival-kit/

Latest posts