Short Notice Trip Vic to Perth Esperance and Home

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am leaving Victoria on Sunday with 2 other families driving across the Nullarbor to Margaret River for a 70th Birthday. Then home via Esperance over 4 weeks.
Trip is primarily onroad staying at dog friendly caravan parks as we each have a dog. I am single with dog, and 4wd and am still a gold virgin on detectors.
I have a GPX4500 with Evolution 12 inch nugget finder plus them Minelab standard Mono and no DD Coil as yet.
I have had some formal training and still to find my first gold. I am looking to get some practice in WA if i can find relatively easy places to get to, and I don't have much research time.
My route from Vic is across Nullarbor, then to Perth, Margaret River, Esperance and back across the Nullarbor.
For any locations to work I need a secure place for an unattended van, that my dog can come, and its day tripable in a 4WD from the caravan location, and legal entry to the goldfield is easy.
I will get onto Tengraph and start looking and get a digital miners right so I can find out where I cannot prospect.

Do any members have any spots or areas they can suggest I can consider? Even in South Aus.
One thread recommends 20 inch DD for WA. What coils would be suitable for WA ground and my 4500?
I have read in some threads that prospectors need to watch out for dogs. Can anyone explain the risks in more detail as I do not want my dog Max to be injured.
Normally in Vic Max is off the lead closeby to where I am detecting. But I can restrain him when I know the risks are manageable.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
LuckyPhil

Do any members have any spots or areas they can suggest I can consider? Even in South Aus.
Forget South Australia, there's only 2-3 small areas in the entire state where you can legally detect without landowners specific permission and you can imagine how hard those patches have been worked over the last 40+ years.

One thread recommends 20 inch DD for WA. What coils would be suitable for WA ground and my 4500?
A 20" DD is for patch-finding, trudging multi-kilometres over 'virgin' ground day after day - forget about it. Your 12" Nuggetfinder Evo and 11" Minelab mono will be fine in WA.

I have read in some threads that prospectors need to watch out for dogs. Can anyone explain the risks in more detail as I do not want my dog Max to be injured.
Normally in Vic Max is off the lead closeby to where I am detecting. But I can restrain him when I know the risks are manageable.
Dog risks off-lead include:
- getting lost (very easy in WA outback)
- potential wild dogs attacking them
- emu/kangaroo attack (they're great fun to chase, but one kick will disembowel an unwary dog). Also, roos have been known to lead a dog into a dam, then drown it.
- poison baits (1080) for foxes and wild dogs. Warning signs should be posted, but crows can move the baits around the landscape. They are irresistable to dogs and will kill them fast, before you can catch them and seek help. Even a muzzle may not prevent your dog licking a bait and dying.

Last edited:
I would think your best options would be the Noresman and Coolgardie areas if you can find some pending ground, there's a guy in Coolgardie named Simon that has leases and takes people out to them and helps them to tune their machines and detect for a fee, I spent a day with him in April and he's very knowledgeable and helpful, if you google gold detecting tours in Coolgardie you will find him, most of his punters find a bit of gold, and one guy who was there at the same time as me found a 4 gram piece.

I would think your best options would be the Noresman and Coolgardie areas if you can find some pending ground, there's a guy in Coolgardie named Simon that has leases and takes people out to them and helps them to tune their machines and detect for a fee, I spent a day with him in April and he's very knowledgeable and helpful, if you google gold detecting tours in Coolgardie you will find him, most of his punters find a bit of gold, and one guy who was there at the same time as me found a 4 gram piece.
"Prospecting Park Australia" I have not had any experience with him but hopefully will in August.
Regards, Ian.

All of the above is good advice. Both the NF and 11" Commander mono coils are going to find you gold with the GPX4500 however only if you are on good ground and that is becoming much harder to find. If you are very limited in time perhaps a guide is good advice. Bringing a dog to the goldfields in WA is risky and baiting is ongoing each year and it's a cruel way for an animal to die.

I am leaving Victoria on Sunday with 2 other families driving across the Nullarbor to Margaret River for a 70th Birthday. Then home via Esperance over 4 weeks.
Trip is primarily onroad staying at dog friendly caravan parks as we each have a dog. I am single with dog, and 4wd and am still a gold virgin on detectors.
I have a GPX4500 with Evolution 12 inch nugget finder plus them Minelab standard Mono and no DD Coil as yet.
I have had some formal training and still to find my first gold. I am looking to get some practice in WA if i can find relatively easy places to get to, and I don't have much research time.
My route from Vic is across Nullarbor, then to Perth, Margaret River, Esperance and back across the Nullarbor.
For any locations to work I need a secure place for an unattended van, that my dog can come, and its day tripable in a 4WD from the caravan location, and legal entry to the goldfield is easy.
I will get onto Tengraph and start looking and get a digital miners right so I can find out where I cannot prospect.

LuckyPhil
I had my dog baited very close to Coolgardie. It was very sad watching him die. I didnt realise there were any stock nearby until after he picked up the bait otherwise i would have been more careful. I didnt think you would put baits out so close to town. Normally i had a muzzle for him but he hated it.
My son came over from Melb. recently and found a nice nug 3.5 on his first go on pending North of Broad Arrow but that country has been well and truly searched so will need a bit of luck .

Forget South Australia, there's only 2-3 small areas in the entire state where you can legally detect without landowners specific permission and you can imagine how hard those patches have been worked over the last 40+ years.

A 20" DD is for patch-finding, trudging multi-kilometres over 'virgin' ground day after day - forget about it. Your 12" Nuggetfinder Evo and 11" Minelab mono will be fine in WA.

- emu/kangaroo attack (they're great fun to chase, but one kick will disembowel an unwary dog). Also, roos have been known to lead a dog into a dam, then drown it.
- poison baits (1080) for foxes and wild dogs. Warning signs should be posted, but crows can move the baits around the landscape. They are irresistable to dogs and will kill them fast, before you can catch them and seek help. Even a muzzle may not prevent your dog licking a bait and dying.
Many Thanks Grubsteak for the important info. If I don't find a risk free solution for my dog I will leave WA gold in the ground and enjoy the fishing and camping.

I had my dog baited very close to Coolgardie. It was very sad watching him die. I didnt realise there were any stock nearby until after he picked up the bait otherwise i would have been more careful. I didnt think you would put baits out so close to town. Normally i had a muzzle for him but he hated it.
My son came over from Melb. recently and found a nice nug 3.5 on his first go on pending North of Broad Arrow but that country has been well and truly searched so will need a bit of luck .
Thanks Bora, If i don't find a risk free way of my dog being on the goldfields of safely minded I will not prospect as the holiday is about rest and relaxation and maybe some fishing. Pets trust us and Max is my first dog in 50 years, with all the wonderful intel from this forum I can be well planned. All the best,

All of the above is good advice. Both the NF and 11" Commander mono coils are going to find you gold with the GPX4500 however only if you are on good ground and that is becoming much harder to find. If you are very limited in time perhaps a guide is good advice. Bringing a dog to the goldfields in WA is risky and baiting is ongoing each year and it's a cruel way for an animal to die.
Thanks Moneybox, with yours all the other great feedback my dog will be safe and if i can't have him risk free I will leave the WA gold in the ground and do some fishing. I have had a guide train me in Victoria and it such a good way to learn. I will do the same in WA if I have a safe solution for Max. Many thanks

Found this on Nullarbor Dunny door thanks for warnings

IMG_8549.jpeg

My understanding is that the baits are usually in the form of pieces of meat that have been marinaded in the poison. These appeal to dogs and foxes when fresh, but are still very appealing even when dry, dusty and sun-baked. Baited raw, unbroken eggs have also sometimes been used, as they are safer to handle.

Baits are commonly placed around gates and watering places (dams and troughs), but can end up anywhere if crows move them. Baited eggs may be buried to protect farm dogs, but foxes and wild dogs will smell them and dig them out.

Your dog's survival in a baited area is dependent on you controlling anything it licks/chews/swallows, so please take extreme care.

My understanding is that the baits are usually in the form of pieces of meat that have been marinaded in the poison. These appeal to dogs and foxes when fresh, but are still very appealing even when dry, dusty and sun-baked. Baited raw, unbroken eggs have also sometimes been used, as they are safer to handle.

Baits are commonly placed around gates and watering places (dams and troughs), but can end up anywhere if crows move them. Baited eggs may be buried to protect farm dogs, but foxes and wild dogs will smell them and dig them out.

Your dog's survival in a baited area is dependent on you controlling anything it licks/chews/swallows, so please take extreme care.
The baits are injected not really marinaded, how the process goes is,
Once or twice a year a Station will have a "Rack day" and generally all the stations around or the doggers employed by them will attend.
Usually 2-3 tonne of frozen meat will be cut up on tables into cigarette packet sized pieces and placed on drying "racks".
As soon as the pieces are put on the racks a team follows and injects each and every piece with 1080.
As soon as the top of the meat has dried and the 1080 isn't liquid and runny anymore the pieces are turned by hand and dried on the other side, when both sides are dry ( can all be in one day in hot dry weather) the baits are bagged and taken by each station to be distributed by them or there dogger.
I attended a "Rack Day" about a month ago, its not for the squeamish, standing for hours cutting up all sorts of second grade meat (camel, roo, anything really).
We did 2-3 tonne of meat into I suppose 100-150gm pieces so ended up with I suppose over 20,000 baits.
All for 5 small stations.
So there is a LOT of baits out there and be very careful with your dogs as it is a very cruel death for them if they take a bait.

LuckyPhil
Lived North of Coolgardie for 2 years. WARNING do not let your dog off the lead as 10-80 baits are anywhere and everywhere. It was and probably still is dropped from air. Also by the pastoral lease holders. It can be picked up by crows and dropped anywhere. A horrible death awaits your dog if you are not extremely careful. Don't forget your GPS easy to get lost in the bush

One of my mates lost his blue healer dog to a bait last year, And he lives on the Station where his dog ate the bait. There is no way known that I would take a dog in to a baited area and I would strongly advise anyone against trying it.

anything that has 2 or 4 legs that walks crawls or fly's can move baits
a mate and i did a bating program for his boss ,and 4 weeks later we went to follow up on any baits that had not been taking
we followed pig tracks for about 1600 meters and found the bait that it had dropped ,but we never found the pig
it oblivious wondered of somewhere else to die
on that property all baits were accounted for and retrieved so the working dogs never found them

Latest posts