Shoalhaven River height at Oallen Ford NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Reefer you took the words out of my mouth. :lol:

1000 men for 1000 days couldnt put a candle to Mother nature in one day at her angriest.

Any way hope everyone is safe up there, thats some serious water.

Tathradj said:
Farmer, I would say in rough judgement about 14 Meters.
The abutment of the bridge is causing a choke point.

Interesting on how it stands up to this punishment.

Was wondering myself whether the bridge will be repairable after the waters subside....

The bridge might get through it unscathed.
Ive seen the daly river bride, and Adelaide river bridge go under several times. The Daly bridge has over head power lines that have gone under!

Sister just sent this one through. Taken at 5:50 yesterday afternoon.
Would not think it was there.

1597017779_oallen_gone_under.jpg

The new bridge on the railway near Darwin got washed away . "They " did not get it right . I think a loco and freight trucks were lost .

Well...I was just looking at the size of the river above the guy fossicking there and reasoned that the safety barrier looked to be about 20 feet or so above him...no matter!,,,the torrent of water and the sediment and rocky material associated with it was the point of my post :cool: The thing about it is that it seems to me that any'average Joe' casual observer is capable of seeing that the 'damage' caused by one such flood event is in the order of millions of times more than decade upon decades of use of a highbanker. We can see it because it's in our interest to see it. the 'powers that be' can see it but they choose not to see it because it's not in their interest to see it...The question here is WHOSE INTERESTS! are they so determined to support. Their whole argument about water Turbidity is dashed to pieces upon the banks of the very same River that they purport to seek to protect. The transportation of sediments and macro and micro fauna is a natural part of the way of nature and when the fury of the flood has subsided and all is calm the fish, crustaceans and myriads of life forms will be there in abundance just as they have always been and it is our scratching around on the banks of the river, that continues that natural process of sediment transportation which ,by the way is beneficial for the health of the ecosystem...no matter what the height of the river but most beneficial when the river height is in a cycle of lower levels.I do further believe that an independent study be commissioned...if necessary under the auspices of Napfa to prove once and for all what the true story is in relation to 'Transported Sediments' is. :/

imagine if you could get an impact rated underwater camera right down to the gravel slurry at the bottom of that river during flood , it would sound like a freight train as literally hundreds of millions of tons of rock go tumbling downstream smashing into each other..

rock music.

I feel sad for the gold getting hammered into smaller pieces with every metre they get transported out towards the ocean , it must be incredibly painful for the wee buggers but govt wont let us rescue them. :mad:

The second pic is the ninge nimble Creek (a few kms from the Oallen bridge) its around 3 to 4 m flowing over the rd. Pretty awesome. I read that the Oallen bridge was built for a 1in20 year flood event but may be wrong

A#79 said:
The second pic is the ninge nimble Creek (a few kms from the Oallen bridge) its around 3 to 4 m flowing over the rd. Pretty awesome. I read that the Oallen bridge was built for a 1in20 year flood event but may be wrong

There is a saying in some engineering circles that a 100 year flood is the one that comes a month after you install your critical infrastructure.

:lol:

I tried to get down there when they were doing the bridge piles , i wanted to score some gravel from way way down on bedrock but i missed it due to other commitments 8.(

I have it on good authority That the damage wrought on either side of the bridge was caused by several characters .One was seen to answer to the code word (or code number) as 7.62....the others were two seedy coves who answered to each other as Tathradj and Bazza respectively.It was further revealed by my informant at the scene That all three were using a contraption said to be called a highbanker and were seen furiously digging enormous quantities of 'gravels' which had been deposited in and around the Bridge Abutments both south and north of the bridge proper.
When questioned as to the obvious damage caused, the one referred to as 7.62 gave a rude gesture involving his middle finger.! And language hitherto not heard before by several of the females who had traveled out to see the aftermath of the damage rendered by this brutish thug. The other to culprits were seen actively engaging in obscene gestures involving there bared buttocks! :eek: Troopers are looking for a white Hi Lux and Silver Prado.

DrDuck said:

That is some serious damage :argh:

You and me both mate! Doug. Well my informant was telegraphing me from the confines of the Nerrigah Hotel :p and was most likely three sheets to the wind.It was obviously not you Ken but everything you say will be taken down and used as evidence if you venture up that way within the next 6mths. I have taken out a lease of the entire area....just to 'protect' all that environment and to help contain the Covid threat.Some rather large holes will be excavated in order to count crustacean numbers. :goldpan: :goldnugget: :pickshovel: :cool: