Nundle NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like a great book, are these map/information books readily available? Also as we are in SE Qld there doesnt seem to be very much around here. We will probably go for a few big drives but would be cool to get some practice in prior to venturing further afield

southosoutback said:
That looks like a great book, are these map/information books readily available? Also as we are in SE Qld there doesnt seem to be very much around here. We will probably go for a few big drives but would be cool to get some practice in prior to venturing further afield

Hard to get, saw one for sale at $100.00 on google, found mine at a garage sale, $1.00.
Gold and ghosts if you can find one on SE Queensland, very expensive, but the best.
Doug Stone's books are available, not too bad, but lack information, imo.
Search function on this forum, there is good info here. good luck. :Y:

southosoutback said:
Thanes Creek area west of Warick was a good gold producing field back in the day I think.

Hubby wants to do some detecting in Nundle with his GPX4500 can anyone suggest places to go?
Also where to get Nundle diamonds (crystals) with our kids on our holiday.

Thanks for your help ? looking for recommendations.

John B had the Dead Horse back in 1998, I worked there on two occasions whilst I stayed at Neil Harveys house by the council Depot. Working for several months & enjoyed it every day.
We would end the day in the Peel Inn for a few cold beers. Drinkers were John B, Neil Harvey, K.T & myself.
On of my best places to visit in OZ.
I heard Johns moved on, were & when?
Ill finish with, my best wishes to all the above & stay well.
If you are one of the above e-mail me back.
Neil H, West London, England

Apart from the river, Nundle was not a good choice. Most of the Gold bearing land is now fenced farmlets. Hanging rock is no longer recognisable having had it's forest being raped for timber ( clear felled) which I believe has been sold to China. Even with a forestry fossiking licence you are not allowed to fossick. Bye Nundle, never again.

While there are some areas closed to fossicking it still appears that there is a lot of State Forest still open too?:
I've been going to Nundle for a few years on and off. The area of forest at the top of the hill, opposite the lookout, is a scene of devastation. ( clear felled) I have always thought there maybe an unexposed reef somewhere here. The fact that geologists, and helicopters are actively working here may bear some fruit. There is a big fine for trespass here, even with a state forestry fossiking licence.

Dam I'm heading up to nundle for a wedding next weekend so thought I'd go up earlier and spend a few days detecting before and after the big day,, never been there before I guess there's alway trout fishing then

OP's first post as a member was an epic even before an intro, but it's gone ? So what really is the Nundle issue or agenda of the post I wonder ? :rolleyes:

Hi all
I was planning to head up to the nundle state forest in the next few weeks . Are the areas sign posted that are off limits.
No signs, we were up there at Easter and everyone was in the cleared area. Perhaps different story when they working the area.

Recently on Facebook there has been some misinformation being posted about fossicking not being allowed on the Peel River, Nundle. There have also been posts in regards to an Easter crackdown but monitoring of activities in the area has been ongoing since August 2023.

To address this NAPFA have released the attached information.

Basically fossicking is still allowable & if you are following the NSW Fossicking Guidelines then you will have no issue.
https://www.resourcesregulator.nsw....s/fossicking-a-guide-to-fossicking-in-nsw.pdf

https://www.resourcesregulator.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/fossicking-in-nsw-poster.pdf

These posts on Facebook also contained a lot of misleading & incorrect information on accessing land in NSW. There's is a lot of confusion amongst NSW Fossickers in this regards, & the rules in NSW are confusing, so it's really not surprising.
Please have a read of the rules here: https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/❗fossicking-prospecting-regulations-all-australian-states.125/

And an overview of access here: https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/nsw-a-minefield-of-rules-simplified-hopefully.40536/

Attachments

• Nundle Fossicking Access 2024-1.pdf
    150 KB
Here's an email from NSW Crown Lands in regards to the above post that I received yesterday prior to the ABC News report on social media:

I understand your concerns regarding the decision to cease the issue of Fossicking Permits for Crown reserves that are directly managed by Crown Lands in the Upper Peel River area between Nundle and Chaffey Dam. This decision was made after consultation with other NSW Government Agencies, including Local Land Services and the NSW Resources Regulator after complaints regarding illegal mining activities in the area and evidence of damage to riverbanks and waterways.

I have attached a diagram that shows the location of the two Crown reserves that are directly managed by Crown Lands (shown in blue shading) – the majority of the remaining reserves are managed by Local Land Services (shown in red shading), with Tamworth Regional Council managing the Swamp Creek Camping Reserve (shown in purple).

Local Land Services have confirmed that fossicking is not permitted on travelling stock reserves.

It is unfortunate that some fossicking activities have been undertaken outside of the requirements of the NSW Fossicking Guidelines. This has led to areas of environmental degradation along the riverbanks, in an area that is environmentally sensitive and home to critically endangered species, including the Booroolong Frog. As a result, the Upper Peel River area can no longer sustain even low impact fossicking activity.

Crown Lands is working with the other relevant agencies to erect signage in the area to advise the public that fossicking is not permissible. Whilst passive recreation and enjoyment of the area is encouraged, the two reserves that are directly managed by Crown Lands are no longer considered suitable for the issue of fossicking permits.

In response to concerns about the impact on tourism, Crown Lands will work with Tamworth Regional Council in identifying suitable alternative locations for fossicking in the Nundle/Hanging Rock area and ensuring that up to date information is available at their tourism outlets.

If you are aware of other locations of interest, please contact the Tamworth Crown Lands office directly and we will be able to provide further advice.CrownReserves_2.jpgCrownReserves_1.jpg
The above Yellow area (SLM) in the first diagram is:
The Northern sections are under an Aboriginal Land Claim & fossicking is not permitted.
The Southern section is managed by the Bowling Alley Recreational Reserve Trust who haven't responded to enquiries.
As the Peel River is a Crown Waterway my assumption would be that regardless fossicking of any type would not be permitted in the Peel River between Chaffey Dam & Nundle on any land (even private access) anyway so even if permission were granted here it would be detecting along the land area away from the actual river only.

It also remains to be seen whether fossicking in any form will be allowed at the Swamp Creek Camping Reserve managed by Tamworth Regional Council (TRC), but as per above with the Peel River being Crown Waterway & TRC also having followed NSW Crown Lands lead on this throughout, I believe that's unlikely.

This outcome, while a negative to the hobby in NSW, isn't unexpected really. There's been a concerted effort by some locals going on for several years to reach this outcome, as many members here would know.

One positive is that NSW Crown Lands & TRC are trying to identify alternative areas for fossicking in Nundle.
As stated by NSW Crown Lands "If you are aware of other locations of interest, please contact the Tamworth Crown Lands office directly".
I believe that they will try to identify suitable areas & assist with facilitating fossicking if viable.

If anyone knows of any suitable crown land areas that may help keep Nundle as a viable fossicking locality please contact:
Crown Lands | NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment
T : 6763 3013
E: [email protected]
Level 2 Noel Park House, 155-157 Marius Street, TAMWORTH NSW 2340
P O Box 2185, DANGAR NSW 2309

Also, with a NSW State Forests fossicking permit, there are still opportunities for fossicking in the allowable areas of nearby State Forests so Nundle is not entirely lost to us as yet. At this stage the State Forests are the only public available option.

Latest posts