Newbie intro from Sydney.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyjamesc

James
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've joined this forum to gain some much needed experience from all you highly experienced people.
Just recently my two awesome little boys (7 and 5 years old), have just become highly interested in all things rocks, minerals, crystals and gems. I think this is GREAT!!
To help develop this new interest, I want to get them and myself involved in fossicking.
I'm planning a camping trip with my brother and his little family to go and do this. I've heard of a few spots that we might be able to go and perhaps fossick for Sapphires, Zircons and maybe gold. For example: Oberon, Grabben Gullen, Wee Jasper. Any suggestions on a good place to start would be very welcome. The Only problem is I don't have any tools yet either, I'm happy for people to make suggestions as to what I basically need before I start out too.
As you can see I'm very new to this, but very excited to get into it.
Thanks for allowing me to benefit from your words of wisdom!
James

Welcome James

Anaconda have sieves and pans. Add a pick and shovel, a plastic tub from Bunnings and a bottle for your finds and you are in business at any of the locations you mentioned.

Use the search function to research those locations and 'kit' on this forum, watch a few youtube flicks and you should pick enough knowledge to get you onto something pretty.......and drop into MacDonalds and get some salt satchels for your kit.....darn leeches.

Enjoy

Wally69 said:
Welcome James

Anaconda have sieves and pans. Add a pick and shovel, a plastic tub from Bunnings and a bottle for your finds and you are in business at any of the locations you mentioned.

Use the search function to research those locations and 'kit' on this forum, watch a few youtube flicks and you should pick enough knowledge to get you onto something pretty.......and drop into MacDonalds and get some salt satchels for your kit.....darn leeches.

Enjoy
Good advice Wally69
I Just got back from Anaconda and saw the sieves and pans there , you get 2 sieves for about $60.00 and the pan for about $12.00.
And welcome to the forum James :)

noncents said:
Wally69 said:
Welcome James

Enjoy
Good advice Wally69
I Just got back from Anaconda and saw the sieves and pans there , you get 2 sieves for about $60.00 and the pan for about $12.00.
And welcome to the forum James :)
Thanks Wally69 and Noncents, I am definitely going to Anaconda!
Thanks for the welcome too. :)

Mate id say Grabben Gullen would be a perfect spot for a camp with the kids. The hardest part will be "is this a sapphire...every 5 seconds"

Twapster said:
Mate id say Grabben Gullen would be a perfect spot for a camp with the kids. The hardest part will be "is this a sapphire...every 5 seconds"
Thanks Twapster! Yeah you're right about the repetitive questions. But that's ok, nothing new to me. :)
Any particular spot in Grabben Gullen you would recommend to pitch a tent?

Right next to the bridge is an awesome flat area that is a perfect camping ground, and right on the creek and really the only public spot. Everyone I met there is looking for sapphires and really friendly. As long as you have respect for not leaving rubbish and not wandering onto private property without permission then you should find it a wonderful place to find some gems. Just check the GG posts on this forum. Wal was nice enough to point me in the right direction on my first trip, and I took my Mum and if she was able to have a good time camping at the age of 68, then im sure you guys will have fun! Sapphires all around with a bit of sieving, obviously more bombs than cutters but that's part of the thrill, chasing that nice cutter. As long as you Youtube the basic techniques and have some sieves you will be fine. The leeches are massive but harmless so just warn the kids about them, and of course with bush, water and rocks you can get the occasional snake sighting but nothing that should stop anyone having a go.

No amenities whatsoever so its true camping. But its not too far to drive back to civilization. There is a gate that can be accessed to go a little upstream which is what I would recommend. You will soon see that you could spend months sieving there are so many spots to try. If you can chat with the property owner you may even get to some other spots but not a necessity.

Twapster said:
Right next to the bridge is an awesome flat area that is a perfect camping ground, and right on the creek and really the only public spot. Everyone I met there is looking for sapphires and really friendly. As long as you have respect for not leaving rubbish and not wandering onto private property without permission then you should find it a wonderful place to find some gems. Just check the GG posts on this forum. Wal was nice enough to point me in the right direction on my first trip, and I took my Mum and if she was able to have a good time camping at the age of 68, then im sure you guys will have fun! Sapphires all around with a bit of sieving, obviously more bombs than cutters but that's part of the thrill, chasing that nice cutter. As long as you Youtube the basic techniques and have some sieves you will be fine. The leeches are massive but harmless so just warn the kids about them, and of course with bush, water and rocks you can get the occasional snake sighting but nothing that should stop anyone having a go.

No amenities whatsoever so its true camping. But its not too far to drive back to civilization. There is a gate that can be accessed to go a little upstream which is what I would recommend. You will soon see that you could spend months sieving there are so many spots to try. If you can chat with the property owner you may even get to some other spots but not a necessity.
Thanks Twapster!
I really appreciate all your great advice. Sounds like a top place to start out.
:)

joao garimpeiro said:
Sandta said:
Gday James , welcome aboard
Gotta ask about your avatar....
Petrified wood opalised ?

great question!
I would also like to know
Hey guys,
Sure is petrified wood opalised. I can't claim the picture as my own.
If you type opal and petrified wood into google you will see it pop up.
It was the only image after trying to use one of my own that would work as an avatar. One day I'll figure it out.
:/

Thats so cool :)
I have this strange connection with petrified wood.... I find it everywhere
I have a piece , i believe to be paperbark , it also has opalising ...
Found in Lake Macquarie , no where near any opal fields thats for sure
Not quite as pretty as that picture though

Sandta said:
Thats so cool :)
I have this strange connection with petrified wood.... I find it everywhere
I have a piece , i believe to be paperbark , it also has opalising ...
Found in Lake Macquarie , no where near any opal fields thats for sure
Not quite as pretty as that picture though
Wow, that's sounds cool! Have you got a pic of it?

Latest posts