How limited is a 4500 compared to 6000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It has been many years since I detected in WA with 4500 and planning a trip next year. I have been studying with books and videos on using the 4500 and now realise I wasn't using it to it's full potential back then due to lack of knowledge on its settings.
My question is how does a 4500 being used by an experienced operator compare with a 6000?
Finance doesn't allow me to update so have to make the most of what I have. Does signal enhancement and coils with flat windings make an improvement? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

My question is how does a 4500 being used by an experienced operator compare with a 6000?
Just as good if not slightly better on larger chunky gold. Won't touch the 6 on very small bits.

Finance doesn't allow me to update so have to make the most of what I have. Does signal enhancement and coils with flat windings make an improvement?
Having a good audio set-up definitely helps to hear those really iffy threshold variations, and flat wound coils increase sensitivity, as long as ground mineralisation doesn't work against you.

According to my old mate in Magnet, his modified 4500 is better than a 7000 and a 6000, and as I bought his 7 a couple of years ago, which I must say,I found quite a bit of gold and I loved using, I used his 6 this year while he was using and testing his suped up 4500 and I can testify that his moded up 4500 found more gold in weight than the 7 and the 6 combined, and he didn't put in as much time as I did.

According to my old mate in Magnet, his modified 4500 is better than a 7000 and a 6000, and as I bought his 7 a couple of years ago, which I must say,I found quite a bit of gold and I loved using, I used his 6 this year while he was using and testing his suped up 4500 and I can testify that his moded up 4500 found more gold in weight than the 7 and the 6 combined, and he didn't put in as much time as I did.
What were the mods to your mates 4500 and who did them?

When I went to WA i used the 6000 for scouting out patches as its very light and can cover ground quickly. It can find little pieces easy the smallest was a ball the size of the ball in a ball point pen. Although i didn't find any bigger gold with the 6000 biggest being 1.9g. On one patch the gpx5000 yielded a 39g hiding at depth that the 6000 didn't see. A gp or gpx4000 or 4500 would find it too. Although depending on operators hearing. Both machines are good combination. The gpx5000 or a 4500 could still find smaller gold but not the tiny ball point pen piece and the 6000 can find larger gold it just depends on the targets initial depth and ground matrix.

As for coils it does make a big improvement with 4500 as a bigger coil will have more punch than the limitations of the 6000s smaller coil option. The 14dd was handy on 6000 in some areas where ground was noisy due to mineralisation. I don't use signal enhancing devices like steel phase... and I mostly use a 17x13 coil on gpx5000. I also took my 25 xdd coil too.

Last edited: