GPX6000 Coils, Opinions Sought

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave's Office

Have Detector Will Travel
Reaction score
I've recently purchased a 6000 that came with minelab 11 and 14 inch coils and a Coilteck 9 inch round coil. I would be interested to hear from experienced 6000 users on thier opinions of the Coilteck 14x9 inch coil and the Nuggetfinder 12x7 coil. I'm thinking of getting one of the above coils mainly because of the extra ground coverage, what are your thoughts?

I had the NF 12x7 & Coiltek 9". Both good coils but sold the Coiltek as I preferred the coverage & elliptical shape of the 12x7. Also found some deeper multi gram pieces with it so that factored into my preference too.
From anything I've seen it will likely come down to your own preferences as from all reports they are all good coils in their own way.

I briefly tried both the NF 12x7 and the Coiltek 14x9. I'm not a fan of NF coils in the way that in my opinion they are like a small coil in a large housing. You have to get right over the target before detecting it so that one was out to start with. I like the performance of the Coiltek coils but I found the 14x9 too heavy for the balance of the 6000. As much as I dislike the NF I ordered the 16x10 spoked coil because I wanted to sweep large areas and this coil was going to be extremely light for it's size and it's lateral detection would be less important on open ground. My brother Merv turned up this year with the little Coiltek 10x5 and loved it. It didn't quite reach to the same depth as the standard 11" round but made up for it in other areas.

Was out just a few days ago with both the Coiltek Gold Hawk 9” round and a NF Exceed 12” x 7”. In two days dug 154 targets using the two coils, with 17 bits of gold and most of the rest being shotgun pellets.
There were few deeper targets encountered to gauge depth performance, but there were a couple of other things that I noted.
Firstly, the Gold Hawk was better at maneuvering among the clumps of grass and stones in the area I was working due to its round shape. Whist the Exceed has a narrow transverse section which is good for poking type movements, its longer axis made it harder for normal side to side swinging in uneven or grassy terrain. Also its lighter weight also meant that grass clumps seemed to retard its movement more easily, with the result I often had to push with more pressure to keep it moving in those places.
The second reason is that the target signal on the round coil seemed more distinctive (mellower rise and fall) of a true target. The elliptical seemed to have a narrower target sound that was harder to pick from random noise or EMI events and I seemed to have to check the signal with more time and care to determine whether it was a true target signal or not.
BTW I was running the 6 in auto one.
Of those two, my vote would go to the 9" but that is a personal preference based largely on practical matters not on absolute performance measurements. Given that the number of targets I found with each was roughly proportional to the amount of time I used each, I don't think there can be much between the two.

Same as Pro-oz: I have never used a NF coil so I can't comment, but I own a Coiltek GoldHawk 14x9 and up until recently it was my preferred coil. The eliptical shape is a real advantage in the QLD forests, and even though it's not a small coil it can still detect tiny subgrammers, some as tiny as 0.08 or less. I have taken it off only because I'm now using a Minelab 17" in hope to punch a bit deeper. But otherwise I'd strongly recommend the 14x9 as a reliable and well-performing coil.

The 12x7 NF tends to be abit noisy in most mineralised soils and if raising the coil ever so slightly and down again even after ground balancing it still produces some wow noise from the ground. If knocking it against a rock it sounds off too. It has no problems finding gold and targets even 0.01g gold and those that don't weigh on scales.

I've recently purchased a 6000 that came with minelab 11 and 14 inch coils and a Coilteck 9 inch round coil. I would be interested to hear from experienced 6000 users on thier opinions of the Coilteck 14x9 inch coil and the Nuggetfinder 12x7 coil. I'm thinking of getting one of the above coils mainly because of the extra ground coverage, what are your thoughts?
Also look at the Minelab 17x13 Mono for gold about 0.3 grams and bigger. This video from Miners Den tells about this coil starting at 2:45 .

Coiltek 9x5 GH owner here. Love it to bits, light, easy to pin spot in holes and great for smaller nuggs. It does tend to scream at anything over 0.2g on high setttings which makes it harder to avoid rust nuggets. I search on auto-1 then drop down to 3 once I've confirmed the target and use the coil in the hole. I've pulled >1g nuggets from 30cm down in hard yellow clay with it.

The 12x7 NF tends to be abit noisy in most mineralised soils and if raising the coil ever so slightly and down again even after ground balancing it still produces some wow noise from the ground. If knocking it against a rock it sounds off too. It has no problems finding gold and targets even 0.01g gold and those that don't weigh on scales.
I detect on the ground and have found the opposite regarding noise from contact with rocks.

Latest posts