First swing for a detector newbie.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I drove over to Rathmines to havea loo for some where to swing the MD
i ended up in what I think was the airmens quarters.
It was too over grown and hard to detect in, so left after about 20 minutes.
I found a large bolt and a cartridge case.
On the way home I stopped and a sports fields for half hour and found a toy car 55c and a lump of what I think is lead with some square pieces of glass embedded into it.
1438747327_image.jpg

If any one has an idea of places in Rathmines i can use the MD hit me up.
I was a little shy to get the stick out in some places as there were many people around and I was not sure if what I wanted to do was allowed.

This is a pre-ww2 aerial I have been sitting on; planning my attack. Not much there, but based on what is, I intended to try behind the old foreshore and the grassed area across the road from the main shops.

1438750306_image.jpg

sounds like it needs a bit of clearing out *cough* burn off *cough* so you can detect it properly.

I have some better pics and a couple of pointers. I'll shoot ya a PM when I get time nucopia. One easy way to pick some hot spots is that some of the war time buildings still stand and are is use. At the end of Dorrington st where it meet Stilling st is a large hall. I can't remember what it was/is. Just to the left of this building is a large sign which list every building and what they were used for. I would look for Mess halls and stores. Don't try the Sergeants mess... I got the florins from there. Bahaha.
Try find pathways between buildings. Good luck.

>> It was too over grown and hard to detect in, so left after about 20 minutes. <<

it was scrub when I used to go there. pre 1980 ish crap, I'm old lol

I go to the Physio on the corner of Secret corner Rd
The large building at the end of Dorrington St is the old ORs recreational hall, it now houses the Rathmines playhouse theatre group further up towards the shops , is the Sargents mess and the grass area behind that was the sargents quarters.
I wasnt sure if I would be welcome digging holes all over those areas in broad daylight, which is why I chose to go bush a bit and out of sight. Yeah Brian where I went was the WAAAF quarters. There are still curbs and gutters there, so you can see where the streets once ran but the bush has taken things back over. Lots of places were there is still brick work s drainage and out lines of buildings And so on , but its so over grown with scrub its hard to move about. So yeah it could do with a bit Of a ..clean off cough...cough
i had some big signals but realised that there must be a network of under ground water pipes to service fire hydrants that are located all over the area for firefighting purposes.
Wally, thats the only way to do it, study old new maps and have a plan of attack .. i just went on the spur of the moment..
Was intending to hit the football ovel in Wangi Wangi but there were council workers there doing work on the fields and surounds, so gave that a miss.

Ramjet said:
I have some better pics and a couple of pointers. I'll shoot ya a PM when I get time nucopia. One easy way to pick some hot spots is that some of the war time buildings still stand and are is use. At the end of Dorrington st where it meet Stilling st is a large hall. I can't remember what it was/is. Just to the left of this building is a large sign which list every building and what they were used for. I would look for Mess halls and stores. Don't try the Sergeants mess... I got the florins from there. Bahaha.
Try find pathways between buildings. Good luck.
Yes that was my first stop to study the map I think i ended up were they housed the womens ..WAAAF and the other side of Dorrignton above the sports ground was the airmans quarters below the bomb dump .. But both are over grown with thick scrub and bush now.
Are we allowed to dig in places like that around the sargents mess etc ? i was worried I might get in trouble.

I think if you dig such that you don't wreck the environment you'll be right. Whens the last anyone reported getting nabbed for detectorist holes?

some people are not so ok with "clearing out the brush" though.. narks.

Yes the bush could do with a good back burn, but cant see it happening any time soon unless caused by nature and then it will be a major fire. The amount of combustable material out ther is a catastraphy waiting to happen.

I had a quick swing around the old grass airstrip on hillside to the west, which is now the access road to the boat ramp and jetty on the Kilaben Bay side.

Pre-90s it was a free camp area, so I gave up after finding 20 beer can ringpulls in a row. 50 years of weekend partying will do that to a site but there must be some goodies there.

it must be a treasure trove if you can find the right places, the problem is many places are over grown with bush.
The old Sargent quarters are now in some parts built over by the shops.
The sports oval is still in its original position but where the airmen quarters were located is now all thick bush and scrub.

Had a physio appointment today at Rathmines
Drobve my self instead of taking the taxi. So I could go early and have a swing in the park.
I spent about 40 minutes before the appointment at the soccar fields and then an hour or so after the apointment in the same place.
Found a fare amount of junk and $18.95 in coins plus a Sterling silver frog pendant and some spent lead rounds and a shell casing.
Even found 2 keys. One looks like the type you use to wind up a music box.
I only hit one small area and might go back for a visit during the week.
Loving the warm weather out in the park getting some MD exercise :)
1441702413_image.jpg

Enough exercise to limber you up before your appointment nucopia. Nice bit of coin too. :)

Latest posts