First MD in the goldfields Vic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello , Well I picked up the 705 about a month ago now and am pretty much hooked! haven't found anything spectacular but the thrill is exciting!

Now I am planning a day trip/ maybe 2 day trip in the next few weeks, up to the gold fields in Vic somewhere (from peninsula in melb) :|

My question is where do I start researching to find a decent area to detect? any books? links maps etc anyone can suggest?

I would need to hire a detector as I doubt the 705 would cut it ha ha any recommendations of hire places local to area?

any guidance/tips would be truly appreciated :)

Thanks gave coiltek a buzz and will hire from them, also just purchased the doug stone maryborough maps

Will hopefully head up there following week!

Nice are you doing the training day? Also the john Tully maps are good too coiltek sell them as well.

I probably should do you recommend the training course??
Great Ill grab one of them too, I suppose I will take there advise on where to hunt for gold!?

Soulfly3 said:
I probably should do you recommend the training course??
Great Ill grab one of them too, I suppose I will take there advise on where to hunt for gold!?

Yes they will show you how to use the detector and what to look for on the gold fields, I did it two weeks ago and I found it very helpful I learnt alot.

Fantastic, ill book it in, did you use there hire detectors? If so how did they go? Did you have any luck?

I bought one from them a gpx4500 and they give you the training day free, there was a guy with a hired gpx5000 we didn't find any gold but it was fun and found lots of small lead.

Really good a lot more to learn I had the 705 too it's a great machine for coins but I have the fever now :)

Haha great to hear, hopefully I get the gold fever! Only thing is a damn almost 3hour drive :(

Latest posts