Etrac finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great results ... Persistance pays off again.
A little intuition helps, but youve gotta put in the effort to reap the rewards
Well done.
I had a little hunt this arvo myself ... Nice 1890 penny and a worn 1874 half penny
Will post pics and a few more details tomorrow

Sandta said:
Great results ... Persistance pays off again.
A little intuition helps, but youve gotta put in the effort to reap the rewards
Well done.
I had a little hunt this arvo myself ... Nice 1890 penny and a worn 1874 half penny
Will post pics and a few more details tomorrow

Thanks Sandta, these club trips can be great if you have some experience under your belt, but not so flash if you are green and continually find nothing but junk. Hopefully next time we can work a bit closer with each other, as some of the guys were just starting out with their detectors.

Oh, forgot to add that the missus was pretty chuffed with finding a rather large horseshoe, she is soaking it in olive oil as we speak. :D

Looking forward to your pics, sounds like you have a couple of good coins to show us. :)

Paulmarr said:
Must have appeared as the detecting guru to the group with those finds GP - way to show em how it's done!

Most of them had either given up or headed off to other commitments by the time I had half of those finds. Oh well, I guess they will see what they missed out on next meeting. :D

Back to the same site today with Mrs Goldpick, loving the variety of finds from this area, every dig is a surprise - some more than others. ;) Anyway, not a huge number of coins here, but when you do hit on a pre-dec, it is usually a pretty good one. First coin of the day was an 1875 half penny, and next coin was found by the Mrs Goldpick with the G2, an 1806 George III half penny! To say she was happy is an understatement, she beat my oldest coin by one year! This coin not only pre-dates the area by 44 years, but also pre-dates SA settlement by 30 years. :eek:

Other finds include a variety of buttons, lead sinkers, lead bullet from a pretty early rifle (need to research that one), a small and quite fragile copper buckle, part of a trigger, parts off a Rund Brenner oil lamp, lead nail heads, shot gun shells, and whole lot of other unidentified bits and pieces.

Once again we only managed to cover quite a small area, so plenty left to discover for future hunts. :)

1437646598_img_20150723_194247.jpg

1437646622_img_20150723_194332.jpg

1437646642_img_20150723_194355.jpg

1437646663_img_20150723_194432.jpg

1437646702_img_20150723_194527.jpg

1437647099_img_20150723_195619.jpg

1437646722_img_20150723_194603.jpg

Heatho said:
Awesome hunting GP, can't wait to see what else turns up there. Great your wife enjoys detecting with you too.

Have asked my wife, on many occasion to come to a park, read a book, and watch me detect....no dice, detecting is dead boring to her. Thats ok, she doesnt mind me going, and going often :)

rocketaroo said:
Heatho said:
Awesome hunting GP, can't wait to see what else turns up there. Great your wife enjoys detecting with you too.

Have asked my wife, on many occasion to come to a park, read a book, and watch me detect....no dice, detecting is dead boring to her. Thats ok, she doesnt mind me going, and going often :)

That nice bracelet would have got you plenty of brownie points mate.

My wife wont wear silver, it has to be gold....maybe a mistress would though lol She isnt going to get my gold finds, they are being saved for a high end detector :)

The missus usually only lasts for an hour or so before throwing in the towel, though after finding that HP you really couldn't stop her - like a bull at a gate. :D

What a great spot GP,... looks like Elisabeths profile on the 1875,... amazing how they look the same despite the generations,..... conspiracy ????????????? What Th#,... :eek:

silver said:
What a great spot GP,... looks like Elisabeths profile on the 1875,... amazing how they look the same despite the generations,..... conspiracy ????????????? What Th#,... :eek:

The immortal Elizabeth! :lol: When I heard the G2 going off in the background, I was thinking that had to be pre-dec, as it didn't pinpoint as a very shallow target (the G2 pinpoint mode is extremely loud). I was really happy for her, the more good finds she gets, the greater interest she takes in the hobby - a win win for all. :)

Finally back out after a long period of wet weather and recovery after an operation. Headed to the same spot as on the previous trips, didn't manage any 1800's coins, but the two silvers made up for that - 1942 & 1921 3p's. The penny was a late one being a 1962 Elizabeth, a toasted 1917 hp, two buttons, some lead, and rest of the finds were mainly various gun cartridges dating back to the early 1900's/late 1800's. :)

Junk!

1438427146_img_20150801_202859.jpg

The good stuff

1438427175_img_20150801_202932.jpg

1438427220_img_20150801_203029.jpg

Big hunt GP,...shooters loosing moolah,....still on the PDs trail.(nice little silvers). :)

Must have been world war three for any ducks living around this spot, never come across so many shotty shells before. So far it looks like the 1800's coins seem to be located in one particular area, the same area where the harmonica reeds and other relics were found. I'm guessing it must have been a regular camp spot/game shooting/social hangout for the locals back in the day. The lay of the land can also be deceiving, some areas are built up from more modern times, just trying to judge from the fill around the tree bases to pick out the original ground level for the older stuff.

Considering the amount of old detector plugs/holes around the place, it always surprises me how many tree bases have been left unchecked, with a lot of finds coming from those spots.

The older threepence also had detector plugs either side of it. :D

Some places that have holes in the ground could also be frequented by feral pigs,...that worries me at times,... am I going to have to fight my way out of a detecting site with just my digger against feral pigs(RAZORBACK). :eek:

Latest posts