Deus & Racer 2 finds for 2016

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
silver said:
Always nice to realise that the nasty scratch is vintage too, nice vintage hunt Gp, and the modern hunt tally is always good on the pocket hey ,... no matter how heavy it all gets, the weight is never draining. Nice looking Florrie that one, woulda been a nice feeling to see that one pop. 8) :cool: :cool:

Unfortunately it was a modern scratch, not vintage. Hazards of night detecting. :|

Cruised out to a park tonight that I had been over many times in the past, getting quite difficult to locate pre-decimals there now. First up I ran with the goldies program to pick up on any stray decimal coinage that I had previously missed, followed by full tones (hot program) to see if I could snag some deeper pred-decimal coins.

The biggest surprise of the night was finding a masked 1947 florin sitting under the remains of an old toy gun, kept picking out bits and pieces of the gun, and bizzarely the last remaining target was the florin. Just goes to show that you should really clear all targets if systematically working a site, you never know what might lying under some of that junk.

Other pre-decimals included a 1950 sixpence, 1936, 1943 & 1946 half pennies. :)

1478707021_img_20161110_021728.jpg

1478707039_img_20161110_021824.jpg

Wadey said:
Obviously been a great site with many rewards.

Certainly has, probably the first virgin park that I have ever come across. First step onto the turf literally produced the first silver, with many following there after.

Not a common occurrence around where I live, lets just say it was one of those locations that you drive past everyday not thinking it would produce.

As always there's only one way to find out - get your backside out of the car and get detecting. ;)

Thanks for the info Re: the different methods you use to hunt, although the settings may not apply to my detector the principles apply to every operator, so cheers for that. keep up the good work with the pre decs. :lol:

For something different I took the Racer 2 out for a relic run today, using the stock coil to see what it could pull off a site or two. I did fair bit of wandering before hitting the first decent target (has been gridded previously), with a 1960 sixpence unearthed which almost appears not to belong on a site of this age. Next up a gilded belt buckle, renmants of a trouser button, navy button minus the shank, and the best find of the day was the better part of a snake buckle (bit of of a bucket lister for me).

I ran in both 2 and 3 tone, and had a play around with the tone breaks (50/50 sixpence falls as a mid tone on default "3 tone" tone breaks), and also changed around the tone frequencies to better suit my ears (lowered the iron and midrange frequencies, whilst raising the high range targets a little).

I have probably notedcthos before, but using the wireless headphones on this detector really makes it a joy to use, they pair up immediately once both powered up, still yet to have them run flat in the field. With the iron volume set at "1", you can still hear it registering in the background so that it is not too overbearing (plenty of it on these sites). It really is necessary to keep tabs on the iron, as it has relevance to productive areas where good relics can be found.

The ground was quite mild on these sites, registering between 40-50's, so no issue achieving decent depth. One thing I do like on this detector is the pinpointing, it is very accurate and with pleasing tones to the ear.

Unlike the Deus, you really need to use the cuff arm strap to swing fatigue free for long sessions, mainly due to the Racer being a little nose heavy - no big issue, just something to note if out for extended periods. I may also tape up the grip as I find it a bit skinny to grip for long periods, put that down to personal preference.

The more I use this detector, the more I have warmed to it - something that can be difficult at times when you are so used to running with a particular detector and the unique tones that it offers (Deus). :)

1479207230_img_20161115_210508.jpg

1479207248_img_20161115_210529.jpg

1479207267_img_20161115_210550.jpg

1479207285_img_20161115_210621.jpg

1479207306_img_20161115_210735.jpg

1479207325_img_20161115_210802.jpg

1479207344_img_20161115_210819.jpg

As a belated birthday present (only because the missus didn't know what to buy me), I have added a tried and proven detector (and probably a bit of a legend) to my list of toys - the Fisher F75 75th Anniversary model. The main difference on the anniversary model being the special price of $850 vs the usual $1000+ mark. The more expensive again F75 Limited version includes boost and cache modes, neither of which I can see being of use in my part of the world.

As far as I know, Goldtarget is the only other owner of this detector on the forum, and you don't tend to hear much about it on other Oz forums either, so not exactly the most popular kid on the block.

Already owning and being impressed with the Teknetics G2 (aka gold bug DP), the F75 should offer what the G2 lacks, and that is depth capability using 13kHz vs 19kHz. The G2 is very fast amongst iron, though response on high conductors can be wanting at times unless using a larger coil, which is not particularly ideal on junky/iron contaminated sites. Yes the F75 is getting a bit long in the tooth, and is probably going to be superceded in the not too distant future, although better late than never to own one. As it doesn't come with any sort of wireless headphone setup, I will run the Deteknix wireless receiver/transmitter with some JVC noise reduction headphones.

Do note that I purchased from a Fisher dealer, as you may be aware there are Chinese counterfeits of this detector doing the rounds.

As for what do you get for your money, for only $200 more than the new Ace 400i, the feature list is pretty impressive:

- fast recovery speed
- backlit screen
- DST mode for EMI suppression
- Four FeTone settings (iron audio)
- low weight at 1.6kg and same ergonomic shaft as on the G2
- 40 hours operation on 4AA's
- trigger operated ground grab/pinpointing, and manual ground balancing (to salt)
- Discrimination/notch ability
- Several tone and process options (including bottle cap and fast recovery process modes)
- adjustable audio pitch in discrimination mode
- target confidence meter
- depth and mineralisation meters
- ability to run concentrc coil
etc etc

Hopefully I will get hold of it within the next week or so for a run down (touch wood). :)

1479043723_fisher_f75_tp.jpg

1479043738_f75f.jpg

Nice hunt, and snake buckle, I'm glad you mentioned the 50/50's in mid tone is maybe I've overlooked them, I'll have to pull a couple out for a test and adjust
Congrats on another detector :eek: The list gets longer :)

B5MECH said:
Nice hunt, and snake buckle, I'm glad you mentioned the 50/50's in mid tone is maybe I've overlooked them, I'll have to pull a couple out for a test and adjust
Congrats on another detector :eek: The list gets longer :)

I think the 50/50 sixpence came in at around 64/65, and using the 3 tone mode, the default tone break is set at 70 for the mid tone/high tone. 50/50 silver threepences will obviously be lower again. Still trying to get used to the lower vdi's for coins on the Racer 2, the Deus and G2 VDI's read a lot higher for the same coins.

Either way, it isn't crucial for relic hunting as I dig pretty much all non ferrous targets, 2 tone is usually the way to go for some addition depth and VCO for judging depth, although 3 tone offers faster recovery speeds when dealing with iron. Different case for coin shooting though when chasing coins amongst modern junk, one day I'll get around to having a play with the notches for modern coin detecting, just as I've done with the Deus. :)