depth for the gold how deep should i dig

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
is gold normally found above the clay line I feel the limit to the depth I dig is the clay as I find it very hard to dig through the clay so how deep should I expect to get to the gold I only have a pick and looking at smaller nuggets please let me know thanks tim

no power tools permitted, so you just need an enthusiastic kid & 1 of these ... to dig & backfill :lol:
1561456878_playground_digger.jpg

... bit like deep sea fishing when someone says "I don't like it our here, its deep". I usually say anything over your head is deep.

So I guess my response to how deep do you dig has to be, until you cant dig no more. How deep have you dug?

stop at 25 km , above that apparently is where the best gold is.

my deepest one recently is 8 feet deep in 1 day of digging but that was into some very very old alluvials so fortunately the sides didnt keep caving in to the hole .

CreviceSucker said:

my deepest one recently is 8 feet deep in 1 day of digging but that was into some very very old alluvials so fortunately the sides didnt keep caving in to the hole .

8 feet?? Wow, you must have been using one of those gold radars to detect that deep :lol:

diggit said:
CreviceSucker said:

8 feet?? Wow, you must have been using one of those gold radars to detect that deep :lol:

no.

If the geology says there will be old alluvials down below then you dont need a 'tecta until you get to bedrock.

reading alluvial layers is like counting rings on a tree stump.

yellowmellow said:
is gold normally found above the clay line I feel the limit to the depth I dig is the clay as I find it very hard to dig through the clay so how deep should I expect to get to the gold I only have a pick and looking at smaller nuggets please let me know thanks tim
Nobody can sensibly answer your question with the limited information that you give. For example, are you looking at alluvial gold or gold in soil? What do you mean by "clay line" (i.e. that does not have a general meaning and is a function of what you have in your particular area). I think some of the advice above is good - keep digging until you locate the source - detectors can only detect to a limited depth.

CreviceSucker said:
CreviceSucker, I might sponsor your trip to WA this September if you dig 8' holes for me over here :pickshovel: :lol:
ps, MadTuna ,might like a hand too, he has some deep ground

Ded Driver said:
CreviceSucker said:
CreviceSucker, I might sponsor your trip to WA this September if you dig 8' holes for me over here :pickshovel: :lol:
ps, MadTuna ,might like a hand too, he has some deep ground

I think people might be misunderstanding me a tad , there is ground that you can read and know with 60 - 80 % certainty that you will be in nuggety ground if the gold line is where you predict.

Several members on this page could name spots in Victoria that still have thousands of ounces under gravels but sadly those layers could be 15 - 30 metres below current water levels = out of our reach. :brokenh:

Latest posts