705 finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heatho said:
I use google earth a lot for looking for potential honey holes, there is a historical imagery function in the view section, if you're lucky the satellite would have taken a pic on a Saturday sports day and you can see where the people mainly congregate. I like any little hills or elevated spots at sportsfields, people always sit on spots like that. One raised area I did a few weeks back had $110 on it and that was all dropped this year as I got around the same amount from it the year before. :D

Ovals where markets or fetes are held are prime hunting areas as are places where music festivals and circuses are held, showgrounds are good too. Under trees are great as everyone likes to sit in the shade. Sidelines of sportsfields are good but contain a lot of pulltabs and screw caps. Old ovals which were there before 1966 are prime hunting grounds for pre dec coins.

Most ovals I've dfone will have areas where a lot of coins and rings and pre dec are concentrated in the same area, go to the other side and there is just nothing, that's happened to me plenty of times. I start off doing diagonal searches across ovals and parks too until I hit a sweet spot.
I noticed that too..
I did a footy field and all the coins where on one side near the middle, nothing anywhere else but ring pulls

full day hunt this week, at the end my arm was dead, felt pretty much whacked, but I found an iffy 34, and really didnt want to dig it. Was just about to say stuff it, but I dug it, and out popped 2 bucks. You gotta dig them.

the other discrimination I've been using is if the 705 says its on the surface but the pinpointer doesn't give the super close signal then i don't dig it.

when I have been it was bottle tops or phantom rock 10 inches down

What's worse it when you hit phantom rock with the shovel and some of the shovel's metal coats the rock and you get excited. :lol:

Do you dig or ignore if the target ID jumps depending on angle? ie object gives a good 30 reading but when you turn 90 degrees and repeat the numbers fluctuate. I'm only new to it but it seems like it's always trash and picking up the different metals/density?

I'm a sucker though, still end up digging just in case!

yeah sometimes I dig, depends how clear the beeps are. if its fuzzy I think its bottletops. also the pinpointer distance sounds helps me decide in that case.

Yeah, if the signal is stable at 90 degrees it indicates the target is symmetrical at lest in regards to the surface, a coin on end or at an angle might throw you there though.

Still learning myself though :)

I dont subscribe to the turn 90 method anymore, your probably loosing coins that way. If you get a nice tone from one direction, then its worth a dig. 2015, you'd think a 1000 buck machine would know exactly what was in the ground.

rocketaroo said:
I dont subscribe to the turn 90 method anymore, your probably loosing coins that way. If you get a nice tone from one direction, then its worth a dig. 2015, you'd think a 1000 buck machine would know exactly what was in the ground.

What was in the ground, move itself around and dig the hole for me thanks. :)

Brian said:
the other discrimination I've been using is if the 705 says its on the surface but the pinpointer doesn't give the super close signal then i don't dig it.

when I have been it was bottle tops or phantom rock 10 inches down

With my machine the depth guide is for 'coin sized targets". Small coins like 1 cent and thrips are always shallower than indicated.
Big targets always deeper than indicated. If it says 4 inches and I've dug 6 or so with no sign of the target I assume it's a huge, deep target and move on.

well the beach was crap apart from the sun, sand and waves. I stopped at a oval on the way back and grabbed a quick $5.45 to cheer myself up. ground was so hard the 3x$1 and 1x5c were just lying there.

Hi Guys
Finally after taking in the advice you guys have given me, i finally went to a place that had better potential.
I was only able to do a small area tonight but will go back and try some other parts of the park.
$8:75 in coins and heaps of junk. :)

1438257043_image.jpg

Latest posts