1st Day At Gympie

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gympie has been worked pretty well for the last 150 yrs so dont think you'll find any untouched ground. All you can hope for is to find something the old fellas missed or came out in their tailings. They were pretty thorough

Gympie has been worked pretty well for the last 150 yrs so dont think you'll find any untouched ground. All you can hope for is to find something the old fellas missed or came out in their tailings. They were pretty thorough. Can only try hey

Hey mate, wow, yeah maybe we could look at those tailings too, never know what might of fallen out. Do you think the machinery they had then mightn't of retained the gold like it does now, that could be in out favor. So thanks for that, I was thinking last night of putting a tinny in where the water is deep and checking the whole creek out. Yeah I know, bit far fetched. hahah my mind wonders sometimes.

Nothing wrong with their machinary. There was a 20 and 25 head stamper and a couple cyanide works on site so they were pretty serious

Yeah I remember you telling me about the stamper, and cyanide, yeah they were serious alright. That hole we were in do you know what that was, or just where people are digging?

Steve, do you know of any bedrock crevices in the creek so I work it with my crevice sucker? I will be back later. Going to Church now. Catcha later mate.

Not sure. There's a lot of old diggings (shafts?) that look like shallow depressions now. Probably been filled in by the usual flooding of the area. Guessing someone just started digging out one of these depressions. Yes there is some bedrock there. Show you next time

You were probably digging my hole....
Clay with old wash through it??? Hard to break down???
There are little pockets of goodness but everything has been hit...
The stampers were losing 10% in those days that was exceptable.
They back filled the area with mullock heaps 10foot high.

Yeah yobskin. We can see where you had your rocker box. I think a few people are having a go at that hole now. We might have to start a new one a bit closer to brisbane road

Hahahaha it would be worth a look. I know everyone has been digging my hole i don't mind sharing is caring....was good when i first found it. There is a big family of taipans further down...I'm not scared of snakes but when they start chasing you that's not cricket!!! I will be looking for shade.. this summer is going to be a stinker......i pull my wagon around and it makes it hard to hide my tracks...if i find a new pocket i will take you guys there.
Last summer i dove under water digging out the deep spots might invest in snorkel ...hahahaha beats dying of heat exhaustion.

Yeah i remember . Youve got a good memory mate. Im flat out remembering last week. Comes with getting old i suppose. Seen a few of the resident brown snakes there. Big buggers hey. Probably be back up in a couple weeks might see you then

More the merry mate... stay tuned. Im going for some test pans tomorrow .... i will do a snake count and see how far i can get up the back. I really hope im not digging blanks. Water levels should be down hasnt rained lately. Im feeling lucky.... :D

yobskin said:
You were probably digging my hole....
Clay with old wash through it??? Hard to break down???
There are little pockets of goodness but everything has been hit...
The stampers were losing 10% in those days that was exceptable.
They back filled the area with mullock heaps 10foot high.

Yes clay and old wash. Sorry mate for intruding on your spot!!

Thanks for the info, good to get local knowledge from the horses mouth.

Len

Good to see you Steve and Yob have caught up, 'Taipans' you've got to be kidding Yob, unreal we better watch out step. Yeah looking for new places is the go, Yeah Benda, come and have a dig next time we meet up, keep an eye on this thread.Yeah Yob some of the banks in those deep holes look good, as you say might have to get some snorkels and goggles. I was thinking of a tinny and row around the creek.....hahah

Len

Tribsa 56 said:
Yeah yobskin. We can see where you had your rocker box. I think a few people are having a go at that hole now. We might have to start a new one a bit closer to brisbane road

Yeah I think that's where I went over.....in Yob's tailings.

Hey Yobskin, what time are you thinking about going down? haven't had a chance to have a pan this week and im getting withdrawals haha, Ive been eyeing off the back end of the field but im not to keen on going alone in case i get on the wrong end of a scaly friend haha.

I will be down there at 9am i will wait at victoria road for a minute or two....i will do 2hrs as i have somthings to do later.
Smithy42 your welcome to join... im wearing gummies for the snakes. Guna be muggy...rain is coming.

Latest posts