12" River Sluice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I currently run a 6" sluice with dream mat which works very well and I like it. I'm going to build a 12" version to handle greater throughput and wondering whether to go with the expense of the 12x36 dream mat (about $175 delivered) or some other cheaper mat/riffle system, probably rubber matting/moss/etc from Bunnings.

Is dream mat more efficient, fewer losses, easier clean up or are the traditional systems OK?

TIA

Its hard to go past dream mat for capture rate...vortex and dredge mat will process so much material...mini mat for less flow or classafied material👍

How did the sluice work?
It went well. Two issues to fix - I need to get the remainder of the mould release off the mat, and I'm going to fit a classifying screen to draft out the larger rocks. The aim is to shovel straight into the sluice without classifying first. It does process a lot of pay dirt quickly.

I didnt get a lot of time using it as I'm currently spending most of my time sampling various streams with the pan to work out locations that warrant more attention and working on property access.

It went well. Two issues to fix - I need to get the remainder of the mould release off the mat, and I'm going to fit a classifying screen to draft out the larger rocks. The aim is to shovel straight into the sluice without classifying first. It does process a lot of pay dirt quickly.

I didnt get a lot of time using it as I'm currently spending most of my time sampling various streams with the pan to work out locations that warrant more attention and working on property access.
Post photos when of your future outings...👍

I prefer plastic sluices, I have several Angus MacKirk sluices and a Le Trap plastic sluice. Both are lightweight. But the Angus MacKirk sluices are stronger and some (not all) have the Abyss riffles that prevent losses from ‘surging’ better than the Le Trap but the Le Trap is deadly at catching fine flour gold with almost no losses. Plastic sluices are fast and easy to clean out. I highly recommend them. (Click on the photo for a much more clear picture.)

Attachments

• 9F150B21-5E5F-4AA2-89B5-2563ECE931AF.jpeg
    9F150B21-5E5F-4AA2-89B5-2563ECE931AF.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Post photos when of your future outings...👍
OK, headed to a new creek on private property on the weekend. Wasnt expecting much as its not in in the heart of the local mineralisation and I've never seen much said about it. I was expecting it to perform like other similar creeks in the area - tons of black sand but no gold. I pulled up on an inside bend gravel bar which was largely devoid of features but had some sizable freestone boulders. First pan showed 2 specs. Second pan showed 20 specs :D.

I'm still in exploration mode so I moved up the creek about a km and did another couple of test pans. 10-20 specs per pan. Time to through the sluice in. Had some trouble getting it set up to operate well. I think I need some legs on it. I made a classifier screen for it and it was great. So much better than classifying in a bucket and double handling. Anyway it worked OK and I ended up with some decent gold, some garnets and I think a sapphire. Very happy considering my low expectations. And I've now got what looks like a really productive creek on my books.

Test pan
20240818_130146.jpg

Sluice running
20240818_140008.jpg

Gold in the matt
20240818_160918.jpg

Sapphire?
20240818_214257.jpg

OK, headed to a new creek on private property on the weekend. Wasnt expecting much as its not in in the heart of the local mineralisation and I've never seen much said about it. I was expecting it to perform like other similar creeks in the area - tons of black sand but no gold. I pulled up on an inside bend gravel bar which was largely devoid of features but had some sizable freestone boulders. First pan showed 2 specs. Second pan showed 20 specs :D.

I'm still in exploration mode so I moved up the creek about a km and did another couple of test pans. 10-20 specs per pan. Time to through the sluice in. Had some trouble getting it set up to operate well. I think I need some legs on it. I made a classifier screen for it and it was great. So much better than classifying in a bucket and double handling. Anyway it worked OK and I ended up with some decent gold, some garnets and I think a sapphire. Very happy considering my low expectations. And I've now got what looks like a really productive creek on my books.

Test pan
View attachment 14625

Sluice running
View attachment 14626

Gold in the matt
View attachment 14627

Sapphire?
View attachment 14628
Great work....the foreward classifier is one of the best things for your sluice....keep the photos rolling👍🍻

Latest posts