VEGE PATCH. What's growing in yours?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I did promise Mr Silver some but due to a blackbird wave things didn't turn out so well. I managed to save and revive one plant and had some success with babies, working for myself I've had time to do some propagation. So with a bit of luck I'll turn out a patch of a different kind. White stawberries (commonly known as pineberries ). There's a good 2 dozen more poking there heads up but I'll keep them in the original propagation tub until they find their feet. Cheers.
1533348446_img_20180804_120422.jpg

1533348673_img_20180804_121205.jpg

Billy said:
And that is how you do it folks :cool:

Great stuff Mr Silver :Y:
Thanks Billy :Y:
And for anyone who hasn't gardened food ever before.... just start off small and grow something you like to eat first.... or just try radish to experiment (they're easy and fast). :D

Newest vege garden got a good water yesterday... then half an hour later when they were definitely not thirsty at all they all got a liberal sprinkling with seasol (if they were thirsty they could suck up too much fertilizer and get burned)
It's growing well.
1534035593_screenshot_2018-08-12-10-50-16.jpg
you will now see some weeds that need dealing with in that garden
around the spinach
1534035695_screenshot_2018-08-12-10-50-54.jpg

and all around the button squash
1534035744_screenshot_2018-08-12-10-51-09.jpg

and I'll have to weed those carrots too
1534035803_screenshot_2018-08-12-10-51-23.jpg

but... I'll leave any self sown tomatoes to see what they become. (And just weed around them)
1534035892_screenshot_2018-08-12-10-51-49.jpg

I also planted some cherry tomatoes behind my compost box
1534035982_screenshot_2018-08-12-10-52-26.jpg

and have my first trellis tomato ready to pick
1534036049_screenshot_2018-08-12-10-52-14.jpg

and the strawberries keep on giving.
and the snowpeas have decided to give a second run all by themselves :D
1534036153_screenshot_2018-08-12-10-52-04.jpg

Thanks fellas.... there's a couple of littlies hanging for a feed as these all grow too. They're learning along the way as well, my little helpers... maybe they will be weeding with me on Tuesday :D .
I can take the easy way out with watering if needs be too.
tap timer
1534050892_screenshot_2018-08-12-13-28-49.jpg

hooked up to a raised little irrigator :Y:
1534050956_screenshot_2018-08-12-13-28-23.jpg

can save me half an hour..... but I do like watering by hand mostly, gets you up close and personal with what's going on in the garden. 8)

silver said:
... but I do like watering by hand mostly, gets you up close and personal with what's going on in the garden. 8)
Agreed Silver.I find watering a garden by hand very therapeutic.Beaut garden mate.

Eldorado said:
silver said:
... but I do like watering by hand mostly, gets you up close and personal with what's going on in the garden. 8)
Agreed Silver.I find watering a garden by hand very therapeutic.Beaut garden mate.
:Y: 8) I like watching the leaves grow..... never any arguments with leaves :lol:

Bloody hell Silver ......... a tomato already. :eek:
I've been trying to eat my own tomatoes by Christmas for years. I don't have/use a hothouse & have only achieved it once ..... about 10 years back.
I'm still a month off planting at least.
Rob.

Hotrob said:
Bloody hell Silver ......... a tomato already. :eek:
I've been trying to eat my own tomatoes by Christmas for years. I don't have/use a hothouse & have only achieved it once ..... about 10 years back.
I'm still a month off planting at least.
Rob.
Tis the season up here already rob... my fails with tomatoes are because I usually start too late and havn't ever tried tomato dust. Best with less problems up here are usually cherry tomatoes for me. But one day I'll crack the code and have a bonanza on my hands :Y:

Not sure if I missed it elsewhere, but another handy tip with Tomatoes is try not to water them from above (sprinkler etc). It makes them more susceptible to diseases like blossom end rot.

Cow Cocky said:
Not sure if I missed it elsewhere, but another handy tip with Tomatoes is try not to water them from above (sprinkler etc). It makes them more susceptible to diseases like blossom end rot.
Yes, heard a story about someone watering tomatoes from an underground system about 10 inches down... apparently they had perfection with no problems. :Y:

Hey silver, That bowl of snow peas looks like it could be in a woolies fresh food add. :Y: The ten yr old pea seed is unlikely to be viable. I bought a packet sugar snap pea that was nearing the end of its use by date and only had 3 come up out of a row of 30 odd. Same thing has happened with bought carrot, onion, cabbage and lettuce seed. Im now letting a couple of plants of the varieties that are successful in our climate run to seed, and havest that for next years propargation. Seed harvested from onion and Red cabbage was almost 100 percent strike back in april. Im amazed that you can grow tomatoes at this time of the year, Ours down here finish about mid march and If we get ripe tomatoes before XMas day we are doing well. We have to plant most things that are not frost tolerant around mid october or run the risk of losing them to a late frost. :|

jethro said:
Hey silver, That bowl of snow peas looks like it could be in a woolies fresh food add. :Y: The ten yr old pea seed is unlikely to be viable. I bought a packet sugar snap pea that was nearing the end of its use by date and only had 3 come up out of a row of 30 odd. Same thing has happened with bought carrot, onion, cabbage and lettuce seed. Im now letting a couple of plants of the varieties that are successful in our climate run to seed, and havest that for next years propargation. Seed harvested from onion and Red cabbage was almost 100 percent strike back in april. Im amazed that you can grow tomatoes at this time of the year, Ours down here finish about mid march and If we get ripe tomatoes before XMas day we are doing well. We have to plant most things that are not frost tolerant around mid october or run the risk of losing them to a late frost. :|
Probably all my old seed is non viable now... but still worth the try on an off chance :D beans and corn can be grown all year round up here.... at least you have no fruit fly down there and can grow a great variety of fruit trees too :Y:
There are times when I wish it was cold for longer up here, but it is what it is hey.... and we just have to make the absolute best of what we've got Jethro.
When I was in Vic (long time back) for a season and new no better I planed up a veggie patch with corn, broad beans, & rockmelons. Came back before it was harvested, but the feedback was all positive regards size and taste. But I only dug and planted it all because I felt like it at the time, and not because I new the season down there. Up here if you want to eat non sprayed garden fare you need to time some things to beat the butterfly (cabbage moth) season.... so anything like cabbage or broccoli is out for me now, they would just get grubby once the butterflies start with the warmth soon. :)

Hey Silver, They might be called Queensland Fruitfly but they are quite at home down here in the North East of Victoria. Ive lost tomatoe crops, capsicium, and even lemons to the little mongrels. We put traps and baits out from them early in the season and hope they dont turn up in any numbers. The other bugs that are a problem are Green Tomatoe beetle and Pumpkin beetle, and white fly on the Potatoes.

Yeah mate... we can lose stuff to lots of the insect world... but on a bright note... the taste of fruit fly larvae in dried bananas (the old fashioned way)(dry but still living) is a beautiful caramel flavor... believe me it's a first hand experience. :lol:

Attempting to grow a Hass Advocado, the plastic pallet wrap and chicken mesh cylinder is to hopefully help it through the rest of winter.
1534946204_20180822_232613.jpg
also trying to grow some other marginal things for this area such as the Wampee, Ice Cream Bean and Yellow Sapote.

Latest posts