Who has an arkpak?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have one of these?
Used it a bit at home, useful during blackouts.
Took it out bush, and I have to say, I'm dissapointed.
Hooked up to a 160w solar panel. Was at 40% when we left camp, and when we got back, late afternoon, had charged to 80%.
In full sunlight for about 9 hours.
Next morning was down to 20 odd % .
That afternoon, only charged to 44%.
Thought maybe it was the battery?
Maybe faulty panel.
Changed panel with mates 160w panel, same result, the panel is fine.
Got home, hooked to house power, charged perfectly, however I think the battery is now on its last legs due to running it so low.
I have read a few reviews on this thing, and seems lots of people have had different problems, seems unreliable when it counts. I am reluctant to use it again, and might just go back to a regular battery box...

Anyone have one and had issues?

I've got two and they've both had issues similar to yours, Dave. The overhead blade fuses are a major design defect - vibration while travelling means they lose contact while still remaining in place, so visually they look OK but electrically they're non-functional. When this happens, the saved battery profile is lost, charging ceases and the battery fully discharges, which wrecks it, as you've found.

These devices (the Engel-branded Arkpak is identical), sound great on paper, with all of their built in connections, portability, battery analysis software, etc, but they're hopelessly unreliable in practical bush usage. Junk with a capital "J" as far as I'm concerned. 👎

Last edited:
I've got two and they've both had issues similar to yours, Dave. The overhead fuses are a major design defect - vibration while travelling means they lose contact while still remaining in place, so visually they look OK but electrically they're non-functional. When this happens, the saved battery profile is lost, charging ceases and the battery fully discharges, which wrecks it, as you've found.

These devices (the Engel-branded Arkpak is identical), sound great on paper, with all of their built in connections, portability, battery analysis software, etc, but they're hopelessly unreliable in practical bush usage. Junk with a capital "J" as far as I'm concerned. 👎
Thanks for that mate thought I might have been doing something wrong!

Latest posts