Axiom or 4500 ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can't justify a 6000 or gpz 7000. So looking Axiom lite or used 4500 and coils ? For to play with an Axiom the other day. Currently have a gold monster and found a few bits with it but looking at getting a PI machine.

Can't justify a 6000 or gpz 7000. So looking Axiom lite or used 4500 and coils ? For to play with an Axiom the other day. Currently have a gold monster and found a few bits with it but looking at getting a PI machine.

Axiom or 4500?

Neither.

For just about the same money or just slightly more you can pick up a good secondhand GPX 5000, (just be careful
that you don't buy a fake)

This is my third go to machine, after the GPX 6000 & the GPZ 7000.

It has found me quite a bit of gold over the years.

Whack on a 14 inch Coiltek camo coil on it, select the fine gold timings and you will soon be finding good gold
with it if you put in the effort.

Thanks for your input. Finding good gold at the moment others are throwing away but would like to move onto more mineralised ground. Meant to say had a play on the axiom in my previous post. Have owned a 2100 many years ago.

The 5000 is probably the most versatile machine (excepting maybe the 7000) that Minelab have produced. Works well on very small gold in fine gold setting with smaller coils and can still go deep in normal setting with the larger coils.
Have had almost all the ML machines and IMHO the 5000 is the most stable in mineralised ground.
As far as coils a small 8-9”, medium 11-12”, and large 19” (all round) should cover most of your detecting needs. A medium size elliptical could be added if you want cover large areas and lengths of time swinging in search of new patches.
Being a more modern detector than the 4500, I have even seen evidence of their ability to be successfully modified for specific outcomes eg incredibly small gold with Sadie sized coils but feel those mods may compromise other features so am not a fan of them.
Just a few more thoughts.

I posted in one of PAs threads about going over patches I found with my 5000 using a 7 and a 6, and the amount of gold I found after griding with the 5 was not worth the time and effort I put in.
So are you saying the 5000 gets pretty well everything the on first time by gridding, then by using the 7 and a 6 going over that exact same ground a second time again the amount of gold found was not worth the time and effort put in.??

Someone explained to me that they would like to see a new 5000Pro machine come out, in other words with the 5000’s electronic technology “put into” a 6000’s housing.

I posted in one of PAs threads about going over patches I found with my 5000 using a 7 and a 6, and the amount of gold I found after griding with the 5 was not worth the time and effort I put in.
That's been pretty much my experience as well going over my old patches with the GPZ 7000 after the GPX 5000 had cleaned them out.

Lots of time and effort put into it for very little reward to show for it, apart from one nice 1/4 oz bit got of some very noisy ground near Inglewood.

To be honest both the GPZ 7000 & the GPX 6000 have been a disappointment to me and offer very little advantage in their standard form over my trusty old GPX 5000 and all the coils that I can use on it.

So much so that I am considering getting my 5000 modified and using that with the large coils as my main prospecting arsenal in the future, as the pickings are very slim with the other two newer detectors.

So come on Minelab don't make me do it, take you finger out and release us a new flagship gold detector that
has some serious depth advantage over the current technology!

I don't know about the rest of yours, but I just cant get enthusiastic about finding flyshit gold!

Hi
I own an Axiom and my mates use 6000s with after market coils......there hasn't been any gold that they have found or heard that I haven't with the Axiom....the Axiom is an amazing pi detector that performs as good and if not better in some conditions....mates were unable to use there 6000s amongst hot rocks, they were way to unstable...the Axiom however balanced out the hot rocks and found gold.(plenty)
When you get to know how to set the Axiom up , then you have an amazing machine....simply as good as the 6000
I have helped many people understand and use the Axiom many times, and they and the responses from them of finding gold is amazing....

That's been pretty much my experience as well going over my old patches with the GPZ 7000 after the GPX 5000 had cleaned them out.

Lots of time and effort put into it for very little reward to show for it, apart from one nice 1/4 oz bit got of some very noisy ground near Inglewood.

To be honest both the GPZ 7000 & the GPX 6000 have been a disappointment to me and offer very little advantage in their standard form over my trusty old GPX 5000 and all the coils that I can use on it.

So much so that I am considering getting my 5000 modified and using that with the large coils as my main prospecting arsenal in the future, as the pickings are very slim with the other two newer detectors.

So come on Minelab don't make me do it, take you finger out and release us a new flagship gold detector that

I don't know about the rest of yours, but I just cant get enthusiastic about finding flyshit gold!
Nor am I a fan of the fly droppings.
Had a 2300 for a couple of years and while it kept me busy with heaps of nuggets over the duration in the end it was not really satisfying. Despite hundreds of small nuggets, I could barely remember having to dig more than a few inches to uncover a small bit of gold.
Missing the thrill of having to dig more than just a few inches, I decided to buy another 5000. Almost immediately I felt the decision justified as going back over some of the shallow ground patches discovered with the 2300, I started finding deeper and larger nuggets. This was despite using an 8' coil (he same size as on the 2300) on the 5000.
Attached is a pic I took of some of my gold finds with the 5000/8" coil combo shortly after. The numbers of nuggets are not relevant as much more time was spent with the 2300 (right hand side) than with the 5000 (left hand side). Significantly the weight of the smaller number of 5000 nuggets is almost as much as the larger number of 2300 nuggets. Going along with that heavier average weight is the additional satisfaction of digging deeper for them.

5000 & 2300 finds.JPG

Hi
I own an Axiom and my mates use 6000s with after market coils......there hasn't been any gold that they have found or heard that I haven't with the Axiom....the Axiom is an amazing pi detector that performs as good and if not better in some conditions....mates were unable to use there 6000s amongst hot rocks, they were way to unstable...the Axiom however balanced out the hot rocks and found gold.(plenty)
When you get to know how to set the Axiom up , then you have an amazing machine....simply as good as the 6000
I have helped many people understand and use the Axiom many times, and they and the responses from them of finding gold is amazing....
Hi Tojo,
I have owned an Axiom for about 18 months and have gone over areas where I have found nuggets with a QED for zero return which truly amazes me.
I find the threshold is not very smooth unless I run it flat out ( lowering threshold seems to chop the tone )and I usually run it on silent threshold. The dealer has
checked its operation and has advised me that's the way they operate..
Just wondering how you run your set up.

It's not the detector that's the problem it's the flogged ground!
If you fish in an area with no fish, it does not matter how good your rod, reel and fish finder is.