Traveling Oz Fossicking and detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all and thanks for having me on. I’m traveling from Brisbane to Tasmania with my dog in my Transit Campervan and decided I needed on another hobby to get me outdoors. I do mountain and road bike. Too much spare time! 😂
I’ve been fossicking at Gemtree and Sapphire and found bits and pieces.
I’ve bought a Minelab 900 for its all round capabilities and 2 coils. I’ve had fun on the Gold Coast beaches, helped to clear them of trash! I’m currently in Durikai State Forest practising Gold finding. Or not, but I did get very excited with a solid TID of 18. I definitely had it in my scoop at about 150mm but damned if I could see it. Back to the van and a slow look through brought it out. I was very excited but hope was soon dashed when it turned out to be lead. Bummer!
Still, on the positive side
1. I proved I could find something
2. The 900 can find small items

My question is, can you refine the sound chirping or chatter to narrow the search?

Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_0235.jpeg
    IMG_0235.jpeg
    5.6 MB
Toozey Everyone's heard the saying "A good tradesmen never blames his tools" and logically an experienced tradesmen will also employ the correct tool for the job at hand. Think about it like this , you wont remove a Philips head screw unless you use a Philips head screwdriver.
Your 900 is the right tool for beach detecting or treasure hunting in the park.
But its not the right machine for detecting Gold. What you need is the correct tool and that's a machine designed specifically for detecting Gold .
Gold monster 1000 , SDC 2300, GPX 4500/5000 GPX 6000 or GPZ 7000.
There are others but these are the most prolific go to machines for detecting Gold
Don't mean to be a wet blanket and dampen you enthusiasm for gold prospecting but I also don't want you to become frustrated by using a machine that is highly unlikely to help you succeed.
I'm looking forward to reading more on the forum about you adventures, all the best in you travels.
Nuc

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to reply Nuc. Appreciated.
I understand what you’re saying, but as I could only buy one detector to do many different jobs then this is where I’m at.
Any excuse to get me to places I wouldn’t normally visit is great. Durikai, for example, is a huge place to cover so luck plays a part. It’s also a nice walk with the dog, seeing the wildlife etc. The chance of me finding gold is remote, I don’t have a 4wd so the best spots are off limits and most have been picked over with guys taking it more seriously than me.
But, you never know! I’ll find more out and about than watching T.V.
My main aim is to learn this machine and what the TID’s relate to.
Thank you again and I wish you good prospecting.😊

Latest posts