Tourists with gold fever fossick in central Queensland as metal price climbs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where on earth are they hiding "2500 long term prospectors", staying an average of 5 months, in little ole Clermont ???? !!!!

I only spent a couple of days in Clermont in May this year but I only saw a couple of other dirt fishers and previous years I have maybe seen half a dozen cars, absolute max a dozen, in any given GPA in any day.

I would dearly like to know where the 2500 are all going as I am clearly missing out !! :)

Where on earth are they hiding "2500 long term prospectors", staying an average of 5 months, in little ole Clermont ???? !!!!

I only spent a couple of days in Clermont in May this year but I only saw a couple of other dirt fishers and previous years I have maybe seen half a dozen cars, absolute max a dozen, in any given GPA in any day.

I would dearly like to know where the 2500 are all going as I am clearly missing out !! :)
Funny enough, I have to say that, for some unexplicable reasons, in May this year I too noticed that there was nobody in Clermont! There were only a handful of caravans in the camping ground and the 4 to 5 times I went through McMasters (normally the go-to, most popular GPA) I did not see or drove past any other car there...

I have found plenty of gold but i consider it an insult to the old prospectors to think of myself as a prospector.
I'm just a regular old detector operator.
In WA you just need to be careful what you tell the inspector you're doing:
The terms ‘prospecting’ and ‘fossicking’ are used interchangeably when searching for minerals, however, the term ‘fossicking’ has a specific definition in the Mining Act, 1978. ‘Fossicking’ refers to the collection of mineral samples or specimens, other than gold or diamonds, for the purpose of a mineral collection, lapidary work or hobby interest. The term ‘prospecting’ ‘includes the search for all minerals including the use of metal detectors.

Both ‘prospecting’ and ‘fossicking’ require a Miner’s Right.
https://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/Minerals/Prospecting-fossicking-in-WA-2428.aspx

Over east the legislation refers mainly to fossicking for all minerals.
I know over the years there's been some that use fossicking or fossicker in a derogatory manner.
It matters little to me.
Like you Evie I'm mostly just gold detecting or just scratching around 😁

Latest posts