Sofala / Turondale / Hillend NSW questions and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are some new Fossicking Tours (Panning or Detecting) being offered around the Sofala, Wattle Flat, Turondale, Hill End, Crudine & Grattai NSW areas.

For all bookings please contact Phil on:
0466 117 213
between 8.30am-5.00pm Monday to Friday.

Disclaimer: I haven't attended on of these tours & do not know the tour operators. Information provided for interested members only.

FB_IMG_1676443851822.jpg
FB_IMG_1676443860544.jpg
FB_IMG_1676443871727.jpg

Members with Facebook can check it out further here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/886188705911767/?ref=share&mibextid=NSMWBT

Hi Guys,

Its a designated fossicking district and the rivers and creeks are marked as crown land. From what Ive read I think its correct that I therefore have access. Crown leased from what I gather is a different matter.

Grizzly

Total Newbie here as well..

Have to say thank you, this above had been confusing me, as I was not making the distinction between Crown land and Leased Crown land, so every piece of water I was looking up was coming up as (in my mind) unworkable crown land.

Thank you for clarifying.

Cheers T.

I'm with Reefer on this one...Turodale has a large area to camp on both sides of the bridge and you "will" get gold for your efforts. Downstream has the best rock bars and the further down you go the better it gets. In Summer sniping for gold is very successful there as well and a great way to cool off in the heat of the day...there is some sniping vids on our WalnLiz You Tube channel that may be of help if you have never done it before. Cheers Wal.
G’day WalnLiz,
I’m a newbie! After reading this post, i was wondering if you’re referring to Cole’s Bridge over the Turon or one of the tiny creeks many kilometres away in Turondale, since Turondale is not near the Turon River! Cheers.

Last edited:
G’day WalnLiz,
I’m a newbie! After reading this post, i was wondering if you’re referring to Cole’s Bridge over the Turon or one of the tiny creeks many kilometres away in Turondale, since Turondale is not near the Turon River! Cheers.
It's Coles Bridge over the Turon. If you are heading from Sofala or Hill End you turn on Turondale Rd heading towards Turondale.
Or from Bathurst on the Turondale Rd through Turondale heading towards the Hill End-Sofala Rd.
Screenshot_20240604_073730_Maps.jpg

Thanks guys. I know that spot quite well, having spent many days fossicking there. Definitely worth sniping here in summer, provided the water isn’t weedy. Some decent flakes in crevices, some small benched deposits around trees and some small flakes in the rocky trench lines.

I’ve had an acute case of gold fever since i went through Sofala in February to relive a trip in the Kombi with mum and dad circa 1982.. Steep learning curve and so much fun despite those odd frustratingly colourless days.

Great to be here with you all!

Ado7E8CD636-D3B2-449A-9C2E-099EFAE4AA7B.jpeg
On the Snowy Mountains Highway back of Bega, circa 1982. Now that’s clear skies!