Sneak peak

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not the bloke to talk pitch angles but I trust in the build, and more so in the engineer. I think the photos only tell so much of the story. I'm sure if there's any tweaking he will be all over it. I've had my share of shite work done for me in the past by others but the bloke is a serious prospector and even better engineer I have full confidence. I've yet to see him half arse anything, he builds some serious kit.

Simmo said:
Hey mate, nice build!!
A bit of advice though if I may....
Don't worry about paint until the thing works!!!!

Why does the trommel barrel look flat, ie no fall in respect to the frame?
Probably adjustable angle via legs i would think. Might be wrong but thats what ive seen on some of the largest trommels ive seen

Simmo said:
Hey mate, nice build!!

I'm guessing you'd want to be able to set your fall to suit the ground your processing, big difference between clays and gravels, not to have it preset for you, seen a lot of trommels with pre set fall that just spit out round clay balls, while these clay balls are rolling around in your trommel you can have at a guess what they're picking up on the way out!

Goldtarget said:
Quick update photo care of a very capable engineer. I've been extremely lucky to have good consultation and excellent execution of an excellent design on a mid size type production trommel. I can assure the members once this thing is done I'll be spending alot less time on here. I'm very excited and after alot of recent negativity I just wanted to share something positive happening in my prospecting world. This is like my dream coming to reality. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2152/1417254367_img_20141129_192905.jpg

Bare boneshttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2152/1417254576_img_20141129_204833.jpg

just a thought have you tried welding 4 or 8 rows of small spikes to break up the clay ?

Mate everything is up for experimenting, and i think that's a great suggestion.
At first I thought when this thing is finished I'll do some testing and put up a few videos and ask for some input. Now I'm thinking when I get this home I might bugger of from the forum and just dig some dirt and keep myself happy. The place is littered with some depressing souls at the moment.

Hunting the yellow said:
Goldtarget said:
Quick update photo care of a very capable engineer. I've been extremely lucky to have good consultation and excellent execution of an excellent design on a mid size type production trommel. I can assure the members once this thing is done I'll be spending alot less time on here. I'm very excited and after alot of recent negativity I just wanted to share something positive happening in my prospecting world. This is like my dream coming to reality. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2152/1417254367_img_20141129_192905.jpg

Bare boneshttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2152/1417254576_img_20141129_204833.jpg

just a thought have you tried welding 4 or 8 rows of small spikes to break up the clay ?
I have a trommel set up specifically to wash clays, been toying with it for some 7 years on and off, used clod breakers, bars, spikes, small mill balls, and the list goes on, I've seen some (expensive) trommels that are so called "clay" breakers, and they've been borderline laughable, some of the best I've seen have been little more than a modified cement mixer, I've seen GT's trommel up close, and he's design is well thought out, not to let out any of GT's secrets, but for anyone else using a trommel and wanting to break down serious clays, I recomend a high pressure water pump (not water movers) well thought out spray bars, and adjustable-removable clod breakers.
I learnt a long time ago from age expierenced prospectors that clays containing gold takes time to wash out, all clays are different, and break down in different ways. :)

G0lddigg@ said:
Simmo said:
Hey mate, nice build!!

Probably adjustable angle via legs i would think. Might be wrong but thats what ive seen on some of the largest trommels ive seen

OK... see ya point, but when the whole thing is on legs, and you adjust that....what happens to the launder angle too???

Ahh, is the launder seperate to the trommel, and the oversize shutes are fixed???

Simmo said:
G0lddigg@ said:
Simmo said:
Hey mate, nice build!!

OK... see ya point, but when the whole thing is on legs, and you adjust that....what happens to the launder angle too???

Ahh, is the launder seperate to the trommel, and the oversize shutes are fixed???
Launder angle?

Maybe the engineer made a mistake haha. I'll send the boss your details if like, I can't promise a nice response though as I've never critiqued his work.

dwt said:
Launder angle?

Launder:

noun
noun: launder; plural noun: launders

a trough for holding or conveying water, especially (in mining) one used for washing ore.

The sluice!! :8

In fairness to you mate and giving a response I have organized leveling to suit the machine, this is something I haven't had a chance to discuss with the builder yet, and the outward collection point can be added to allowing material to go through an adjustable sluice setup that can be connected or seperate. A bit of testing will help determine if the pitch angle is suitable or needs adjustment added in. It has been built for the material I intend to put in it as the first priority to the concept. I think both of us in the collaboration understand two things, no trommel will be perfect at all things as no Highbanker is, it's a fact you can't ignore, and Secondly it may require some additional retro fitting as the need for it comes up. Overall it ticks alot of the boxes.

dwt said:
Thanks for the technical explanation mate, my point being, no sluice box in the pics :)

I realise this! However as the oversize shutes are fixed, I was thinking that the launder may be too??
But it doesn't matter, the thing isn't finished yet!!!!

My main point when I first commented was simple advice of not to worry about prettying it up with paint and stuff untill he gets it working correctly.

Just found and read through this thread, apart from admiration for the designer and engineer,
it left me with an absolute feeling of pride in being Australian, don't know why ,
Maybe something to do with Gold mining,Southern Cross,Aussie enginuity,taking something to the limit, back shed,
and something about it says larrikin ( especially if it ends up nipple pink)

Anyway GT you should be bloody proud and I take my slouch hat off to you Good Luck

Cheers

As you point out mate the credit really goes to the bloke who has given it life. I cannot explain just how hard it is to create something like this, so many factors to consider. That barrel just be be rolled "true", to be near perfect diameter and curve from end to end takes a talent a cut above. Its all a custom build, very little is off the shelf. A smaller or larger build would have been alot simpler.

I really like this design ! It also needs more testing to see if it needs any modding before hitting the pay-dirt . I don't know about your area , but if it does not have much bugger clay in it, it should do fine. I am thinking along the line that clay cobbles need more 'longer' barrel/cylinder to help bust those nasty thangs ! also it will make for a good long bath for the rocks and gravels to be clean and head to the end. Less screen area, just for letting the slurry out to the sluice hopper, more solid part of the barrel to help agitate the material.
Just a thought .

Nice work, looks like your guy likes his form rollers :)
I think the hopper set up is fantastic! very original, leaves plenty of room for grizzly bars in the upper while keeping the overall height low.

Never seen riffles in any of the Launders I've built or fixed just a ton of rubber lining, just saying..........

Latest posts