Raining out your way?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A pretty constant drizzle yesterday out at Ararat. Barely enough to wet the ground so no water in the creeks still.

DD

We got smashed here at work, South Geelong/Newtown. Tens of $thousands, if not more damage done here. 7km away at home in Highton we didn't have much!

So I left Melbourne. For Cairns.
It's the wet season. So guess what. It's gaining here a few times a day.
Last week it dropped more rain than what Melbourne gets for 7 months.
400mm for the week.

Ballarat ended up with 4.2mm over night. The question is will that be enough to impact the creeks be just enough to make some nice pools to run a high banker!

Hi Beep,
We're the creeks flowing at mudgee?
Thinking of coming up for some panning.

Any one from Ararat? That is the closest gold bearing creeks I have and they are 2.5 hours away, bit far to drive just to see if there is water in the creek. If they have had some rain over the last couple of days I can already feel a sickie coming on.

Cheers,
Matt

MJB said:
Any one from Ararat? That is the closest gold bearing creeks I have and they are 2.5 hours away, bit far to drive just to see if there is water in the creek. If they have had some rain over the last couple of days I can already feel a sickie coming on.

Cheers,
Matt

No pools or anything at Ararat, bone dry still. Lots of places closer than 2.5hrs , most of the creeks south of a Ballarat have some water, about 1hr 20 to there. Better of using a dry blower around this area though.

DD

Dunolly, Tarnagulla, Wanyarra, Moliagul - nil. Some water in the Fire Point dams in the forests. Don't expect anything until much later in the year. Ground has cooled down somewhat and early morning until about noon has been the go for detecting. Loddon has water upstream from the Laanacoorie Reservoir. For public access, probably the best place to take any wash dirt is upstream to the Laanacoorie causeway or up to the Freemantle Bridge - bit of a drive however from any gold bearing creeks.

Sorry for crap writing

1392891985_aaalanners.jpg

This is how dry it is - Koala drinking from a dam on private property at Havelock (goldfield south of Dunolly) Bendigo Advertiser.

1392892559_akolala.jpg

Thanks Diggerdude, I am coming from Mt gambier in SA so Ararat is just about it apart from Balmoral although I have not been there yet. I might have to move closer to the golden triangle..

Cheers,
Matt

RottenRon said:
Not very often you see a koala drinking from a water hole. You'd have to think there's not much moisture in the leaves as that's where they get most of their fluids.
Cheers.
We actually gave a koala a bottle of water on the road at Gunedah and put buckets of water at the base of trees for them on my mates property.

XIV said:
So I left Melbourne. For Cairns.
It's the wet season. So guess what. It's gaining here a few times a day.
Last week it dropped more rain than what Melbourne gets for 7 months.
400mm for the week.
all the better too wash some more gold to areas us mere mortals can get to

kleinman98 said:
RottenRon said:
Not very often you see a koala drinking from a water hole. You'd have to think there's not much moisture in the leaves as that's where they get most of their fluids.
Cheers.
We actually gave a koala a bottle of water on the road at Gunedah and put buckets of water at the base of trees for them on my mates property.

I have been staying at my brothers property 20 minutes from gunnedah,last dam dried up last week ,i have been leaving water for the echidna,s as they have been coming to the shed for water,had a dead roo stuck in the dam until a big pig dragged it out last night and ate it.

solar power boar water pump for the cattle left overs dribble into the dam for wildlife,these dams have never been dry

G'day John.
Kinda reminds a bloke of the aftermath of the bushfires a few years back. Who could forget the footage of the Fireman giving the koala a drink from a bottle at the base of a tree.

G'day Pauly,
Never really thought about how the echidnas drink.

You know it's dry too when the pigs start eating carrion. They can smell a carcass from miles away. It's actually a good time to thin them down. Make sure the wind is going the right way and setup with a spotlight about 100m or so away from a carcass at night. Wait till you get a few there having a merry time, then blaze away at the dirty bastards.
Many years ago, me and 2 others got 14 in one sitting spotting over a dead cow.

Anyway, if this keeps up, I might have to learn how to use a dry blower,,lol.

Cheers, Ron

Latest posts