Prospecting Log Book

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in the fortunate position of being self employed in a job with plenty of travel across southern NSW and I get to meet a lot of rural landholders. I always keep a pan, shovel and gumboots in the ute and pull up at likely spots on my travels. I'm thinking I need a diary/logbook/spreadsheet of some sort to keep track of locations and their gold bearing potential.

Anybody using anything like this? If so what do you record?

Interesting question. I used to keep a fishing log book - day, time of day, what was caught, barometer reading, etc. Try to find some patterns.

An accounting ledger style of book is what I used and could be adapted to suit your needs. Each column can be a different item - name - address - location - GPS coords - panned - detected - found - gold description (flour, pickers, rounded, sharp), etc.

Or an excel spreadsheet. Keep a copy on computer and on a USB stick in case one fails.

What Richard suggested would also work as you can leave pins and also include quite a bit of data within the description. But if the app dies or has a data malfunction or something you could lose it all in one crash. You can periodically download all of your marks and trails to keep in a separate Google Earth file though which should keep things safe.

Latest posts