NSW crown land boundaries?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m looking to head out in a couple weeks to the goldfields but want to be sure I’m staying within the boundaries of crown land.

Trilobite doesn’t have a data layer like this.

How do I go about viewing this info on a map?

I know I can view it on minview but I can’t export that data layer to import into QGIS or Trilobite. I just want the crown land data layer from minview really.

I’d really like to be able to tell exactly where I can and can’t go when in the field using an app like trilobite showing me crown land boundaries. Any ideas? Happy hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:
On Android I use Australian Topo Maps which is available from the Google Play store.
Both the NSW Base maps & NSW topo show the lot no. & boundaries. NSW topo shows lot no., DP no. & boundaries.
As it's not Crown Land specific you will still need to know the lot no. to ensure you're on the correct area.
Not sure if you're aware but in NSW being Crown Land also doesn't automatically give the right to fossick/prospect there.
A lot of NSW Crown Land is Leased/Under Tenure so treated as private property (need permission of leaseholder) or Managed (by a body like LLS, Council, Trusts etc.) & need permission from the land manager.
Unmanaged Crown Land now, by rights, requires a Temporary Fossicking Permit (12 months) which is obtained from the nearest NSW Crown Lands office to your area of interest. They can advise if the land is available for fossicking or not.
They are also the best ones to advise on Leased/Under Tenure + Managed Crown Land & who to contact regarding permissions.

On Android I use Australian Topo Maps which is available from the Google Play store.
Both the NSW Base maps & NSW topo show the lot no. & boundaries. NSW topo shows lot no., DP no. & boundaries.
As it's not Crown Land specific you will still need to know the lot no. to ensure you're on the correct area.
Not sure if you're aware but in NSW being Crown Land also doesn't automatically give the right to fossick/prospect there.
A lot of NSW Crown Land is Leased/Under Tenure so treated as private property (need permission of leaseholder) or Managed (by a body like LLS, Council, Trusts etc.) & need permission from the land manager.
Unmanaged Crown Land now, by rights, requires a Temporary Fossicking Permit (12 months) which is obtained from the nearest NSW Crown Lands office to your area of interest. They can advise if the land is available for fossicking or not.
They are also the best ones to advise on Leased/Under Tenure + Managed Crown Land & who to contact regarding permissions.
That’s all great info, thanks. I’ll have to get in touch with NSW Crown Lands office to obtain permits for the lots I’m interested in.

I’m on an iphone so the android app doesn’t help me I’m afraid. It seems odd to me that we can’t access such an important data layer. Surely I can get it from somewhere? How does everyone else ensure they’re on Crown Land here? Besides fences.

That’s all great info, thanks. I’ll have to get in touch with NSW Crown Lands office to obtain permits for the lots I’m interested in.

I’m on an iphone so the android app doesn’t help me I’m afraid. It seems odd to me that we can’t access such an important data layer. Surely I can get it from somewhere? How does everyone else ensure they’re on Crown Land here? Besides fences.

Something should exist for iPhone?
The NSW Base & NSW Topo Maps used on Australian Topo Maps are generic - same maps are used on SIX Maps only SIX Maps is online where Australian Topo runs offline like a GPS app.
There would be something on iPhone using them but I've always been Android so I'm no help there.

I did check that app out but it wasn’t quite what I was after. I ended up taking screenshots of the minview map and georeferencing those images to my maps in QGIS. This way I can load them into my GPS as custom maps in the field and know exactly where I am and can/can’t go. Thank for your ideas though.

Does anybody know which Crown Lands office is responsible for approving Sofala/Wattle Flat permits?

I did check that app out but it wasn’t quite what I was after. I ended up taking screenshots of the minview map and georeferencing those images to my maps in QGIS. This way I can load them into my GPS as custom maps in the field and know exactly where I am and can/can’t go. Thank for your ideas though.

Does anybody know which Crown Lands office is responsible for approving Sofala/Wattle Flat permits?
It's now the Orange office.

If you're handy with QGIS you can add the NSW Base Layers to it. Use the QMS search tool and type NSW. It will bring up the NSW Base Layers. You can also add Lot and Property layers as rasters. Download from the Spatial Collaboration Portal - https://portal.spatial.nsw.gov.au/portal/home/item.html?id=6a96afdba8d6407d8bde5a3bbacb0f02

You can also add the NSW Seamless Geology which can be downloaded here - https://meg.resourcesregulator.nsw.gov.au/geological-survey/projects/seamless-geology-project

If you're handy with QGIS you can add the NSW Base Layers to it. Use the QMS search tool and type NSW. It will bring up the NSW Base Layers. You can also add Lot and Property layers as rasters. Download from the Spatial Collaboration Portal - https://portal.spatial.nsw.gov.au/portal/home/item.html?id=6a96afdba8d6407d8bde5a3bbacb0f02

You can also add the NSW Seamless Geology which can be downloaded here - https://meg.resourcesregulator.nsw.gov.au/geological-survey/projects/seamless-geology-project

Thanks mate! This is what I’m after, I’ll give this a go!

Latest posts