Northern nsw alluvials

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I live in Lismore northern nsw and have been traveling out to tooloom and drake areas doing some testing with poor results.
I know there are good areas but they mostly are in no go zones, national parks and state forest with no fossicking zones. There are some pretty crazy farmers that will point guns at people trespassing up here lol.
The area has a history of gold mining through the Clarence valley, Rocky/Timbarra river, drake and tooloom areas.
In general the area is tough with many of the known gold Bering creeks running dry over the hotter months so sluicing is basically not going to be possible.
I got access to a property with several historic sites from the 1870s but the lack of water now just like in the 1870s is prohibitive. The old timers abandoned working with good gold in the area due to lack of water according to records from that time. It’s just not feasible to walk buckets half a km to water lol.
I am interested to know if anyone can suggest areas a bit easier to work in the region.
As it is I travel at least a couple of hours to go prospect so that covers a large area of possibilities locally and I don’t mind putting the km in.

Latest posts